Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: any idea why my 2015 mirage (only 53k miles) keeps dying on the road?

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Just throwing in my 2 cents from previous vehicle.
    Before the Mitsubishi I used to drive a made in China 7 seater van.
    Called the Hafei Minyi. It had a few problems and one of them is when all electrical power suddenly cut off while driving.
    Once cooled down power will return and it can be started.

Managed to trace down to a bad main fuse. In my case a 80A metal strip fuse. The fuse has a crack in the middle and due to engine heat, it will expand and the contact separates at the crack and the whole car will shut off. It took a while to figure this out.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fit For This Useful Post:

Pryme (02-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    its not a gps,, it's a mobile hotspot to GIVE you wifi in the car. it has it's own line. the app just allows you to track the car as well
    Does this mobile hotspot plug in to the OBD-II port of your Mirage? Sorry if this has been addressed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...I've asked multiple times and didn't get a clear answer.
    This thread has more questions than answers. Still looking for an update because I'm curious.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-07-2019)

I believe it is - the service advisor implied it was plugged into the diagnostic port when he said "well that's not an official diagnostic reader".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That's a lucky find!
    80's to 90's Fords used to have a fun feature that would kill the spark when hot. Once cooled down it'd fire up like nothing was ever wrong. The ignition module on the side of the distributor was the problem. I've had a few 3 hour drives turn into an all day event because of that.
    6.5l diesel gms's had an injection pump module(pmd) that would get hot and cause similar problems as well.

I've seen a few fuel pumps work til they get hot then stop, but work again once cooled down for a short time.
    I've owned a lot of turdpails!
    Intermittent hard to duplicate problems are the best
    Back when I was a tech, I loathed intermittents, especially when we couldn't duplicate it in the shop. Senior mechanic and I used to say "if you show me a lamp and say it doesn't light, but every time I turn the switch the light comes on....I'm not sure what to say". Sometimes keeping the car for a week can help a shop get it to act up for them...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I hope it wasn't the Mobile Hotspot causing the problem because if it was, The tows and hours of labor will not be covered under warranty

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    hi,, they were able to put another 200 miles on it over the course of a few days. They had one of their hourly employees drive it around half the day. He DID experience it dying on the road. This time they are blaming the hotspot (after their 4th diagnostic attempt). i asked the service manager if he was sure, and he said "i hope so". at this point those are not very comforting words.

they did not charge charge me anything for the last two visits or tows. i drove the mirage back home thursday, but it has since remained in the garage. I am going to drive it locally and keep the hotspot out and hope for the best while kathy continues to drive my pilot. i cannot afford to have half a day sucked away each time this happens.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to longhairmike For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Hey longhairmike any chance you could post some pictures of that hotspot thingy? Or at least a make and model so we can learn more about it.

Here's hoping that this problem is behind you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Well...I still don't understand if this thing plugs into the OBDII port or not.

If this hotspot thing plugs in to the car's diagnostic port, then disconnect it and start driving the car normally.

Things that plug into that port can induce all sorts of odd driveablity issues. I just listened to a shop owner a few weeks ago giving a talk about such devices and the issues they can cause. Here's an example...

Having issues with a vehicle? Check for OBD-II dongles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

daleWV (02-09-2019),MetroMPG (02-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Well...I still don't understand if this thing plugs into the OBDII port or not.

If this hotspot thing plugs in to the car's diagnostic port, then disconnect it and start driving the car normally.

Things that plug into that port can induce all sorts of odd driveablity issues. I just listened to a shop owner a few weeks ago giving a talk about such devices and the issues they can cause. Here's an example...

Having issues with a vehicle? Check for OBD-II dongles
    yes it is the t-mobile syncup drive that connects under the dash