Thread: 2014 Mirage traffic crash in Nelson, N.Z. -- Video & pictures

2014 Mirage traffic crash in Nelson, N.Z. -- Video & pictures

I'm signed up to get Google Alerts by email about the Mirage. Usually they're just media reviews & test drives, that sort of thing. But this one popped in yesterday -- more serious subject matter, but thought it was worth sharing:

The Nelson Mail reports on a serious highway crash between a new Mirage and a Hyundai SUV that crossed the centre line into the Mirage's path. The SUV driver is in critical condition in hospital, and the 2 occupants of the Mitsu were also taken to hospital...

it appeared the sole occupant of a southbound Hyundai Tuscan had lost control rounding a corner and crossed the centre line, Sergeant Rob Crawford, of Motueka, said. A late-model Mitsubishi Mirage, travelling toward Motueka carrying two females, "T-Boned" the Hyundai, flipping the bigger vehicle on to its side causing extensive damage, Mr Crawford said.
    The officer noted the safety systems in the smaller car:

In a "prime example of vehicle safety", the deployment of multiple front and side airbags in the Mirage had saved its occupants' lives, he said.
    Hopefully everyone recovers.

Full article, plus video of the aftermath of the crash site: http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/n...-two-car-crash

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

fifteenwindow (11-13-2013),Flange (11-13-2013),m4v3r1ck (11-14-2013),Mikhail (11-12-2013),socal6g (11-13-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Wow, that Mirage passenger compartment looks virtually untouched! That is very impressive.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

The report says the rescue people cut 2 doors off the Mirage. Must be on the passenger side -=- CORRECTION ... right side. That's the driver's side in NZ.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    yes to the looks of it the right side airbags deployed not the left ones
    i geuss that side was damaged a lot.

Mitsubishi Technician live4redline's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Unfortunate but impressive, and ill take that as a win for the Mirage.

Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Very reassuring considering the size (and mass) difference of the 2 vehicles. The fact that the passenger doors still opened (NZ is RHD guys) is amazing. I saw a remarkable improvement in car crash survivability in my time as a fire fighter - Airbags (with seatbelts on!) are a must.

jid - thanks for pointing out my mistake (right side = driver's side in NZ). Corrected my post.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I watched this ANCAP crash test over and over again before I bought this car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIr9llQ53M8

Its really impressive how the cabin and most of the car is unaffected by the impact.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    New Zealand
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks for that Metro, very reassuring.