Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-joining the 3-cylinder club

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    My 19 Mirage is a dark gray color
    I have the same paint colour on my Mirage, and I like the dark grey. On the newer grey Mirages its a lighter shade of grey, more metallic silver than the dark gunmetal grey.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I'm jealous you got the blue haha. My 19 Mirage is a dark gray color because it was between that and fleet white!

Out of curiousity, what year Yaris did you have? I've owned many of those and while my 2007 with a manual drives great the 16 I had that I traded in had a horrid delay. Thankfully, the mirage doesn't.
    This is an interesting observation. On another thread, another forum member complains about the Mirage throttle response, and wants to re-program the ECU for improved response.

I agre with you, Dodge Aries K, that the Mirage throttle response is pretty quick - in my opinion - and doesn't need to be changed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome.

So it looks like the gauges are totally different on the new Mirage vs my 17's. When did they change? Anything else different?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site, and congratulations on the new Mirage!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think you will enjoy your Mirage!

In 2017, the ES & SE trim level could be had with a manual transmissions. The SE trim level gave you added items like cruise, alloy wheels, automatic climate control, etc...

The manual transmission offering was limited to the ES trim level in 2018. Thus, cruise was pretty much an after market add on option only.

Thus, it was nice to see cruise control added to all trim levels in 2019. A base model Mirage in Canada would not have A/C, which would be a bummer for someone living where you do. I sort of chuckled when you mentioned biking to the dealer only because I had -15F when I left home (Wisconsin) this morning.

I would just enjoy your Mirage as is. I pretty much drove my 2017 ES (manual) as is for a time. Eventually (8 months later), I did add a Daox (member of this forum that designed/built these for purchase) rear sway bar. Very easy to install yourself, & it does improve the driving dynamics of the car.

I really like the car for what it is. It's affordable, reliable, & economical. The excellent warranty is also a big plus!
    They do make studded snow tires for bikes, you know. It's a fine time of year to ride here. I haven't had a working car since last Thanksgiving, and I might have gone longer if my family wasn't coming to visit next month. I still ride my bike to work all year regardless of whether I have a car or not, but it's a short ride.

Even when it's possible to get cruise with a stick shift at the same time, few people buy them. I've always bought used, letting other people choose how my cars are equipped, so it was a nice treat to walk into a dealer and demand a blue hatchback with a manual transmission.
    I'm jealous you got the blue haha. My 19 Mirage is a dark gray color because it was between that and fleet white!

Out of curiousity, what year Yaris did you have? I've owned many of those and while my 2007 with a manual drives great the 16 I had that I traded in had a horrid delay. Thankfully, the mirage doesn't.
    Yes, I remember you from the Yaris World forums! Mine was an '09 hatchback, also blue, but the paint was peeling badly. It was a paragon of reliability even at close to 200k miles, and it was really easy to work on, but I had two problems with the throttle. One was the huge delay you mentioned. The other was that it felt way too sensitive. The first 25% of travel seemed to give you 80% of the throttle. So, it gave way more throttle than I wanted, way later than I needed. I've never had so much trouble driving a stick shift. I found a throttle controller that at least dialed back the eager response curve, but did nothing to help the delay.

I'm sorry you had to settle for a grey car! I figured, if I'm going to buy a new car, it better be exactly what I want. I'm tired of settling for what Craigslist regurgitates. I bought the only manual blue Mirage available in Arizona. There were no orange ones. Green or even pink-- sorry, Plasma Purple-- would have been OK too, but they don't sell those colors anymore. Anything but "neutral" for me.

I might do something similar to my Mirage wheels as I did with my Yaris, with chrome trim rings and center caps. I like the rugged look of naked steel wheels, and the stock Mitsubishi hubcaps are... meh.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Aspects of the Chevy Cruise from your first hand experience sounds alright, but I wonder if the spirited driving style I do all the time with my Mirage, with lots of revving the engine, would have meant a busted Cruise for me as well.

My next car I might go with a 500x Fiat, 6 speed but 1.4 Turbo, worried now about small turbos.
    I like how the 500 looks, but I don't hear many good things about them at all. I would stay far away from Fiat.

Turbo engines in general are more delicate than naturally aspirated ones. They're more prone to pre-ignition, so good gas is critical. It was bad gas that killed my Cruze. They tend to cook the oil as it goes through the extremely hot turbo, so good oil is critical, and it's important to keep a close eye on its level and condition, because low or bad oil can easily kill the turbo. The PCV system is twice as complicated due to the fluctuating pressure conditions in the intake (PCV problems are another big issue with the Cruze). They're a marvel when they work right, but it takes far more care to keep them in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This is an interesting observation. On another thread, another forum member complains about the Mirage throttle response, and wants to re-program the ECU for improved response.

I agre with you, Dodge Aries K, that the Mirage throttle response is pretty quick - in my opinion - and doesn't need to be changed.
    Like you, I have no complaints about the Mirage throttle (thank goodness). I had trouble searching for a solution to my Yaris throttle gripes, digging through thread after thread of people wanting a "quicker throttle," but meaning they want to press the throttle just a little, and have the engine respond a lot... which was the opposite of what I wanted. The internet abounds with throttle controllers that can do exactly that. But, I wasn't able to find a solution to throttle lag, since it's an ECU issue, and plugging in something in between the pedal and the computer can't possibly help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Welcome.

So it looks like the gauges are totally different on the new Mirage vs my 17's. When did they change? Anything else different?
    What does yours look like? I did an image search, and they all looked the same to me all the way back to '14.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think he's referring to the trim in the speedo. The USA Mirage has 4? different styles.

My '17 SE has the bottom while it looks like yours has the 2nd from top? I'm not quite sure how the differences are delegated.
    Last edited by Alex1a1f; 02-10-2019 at 08:57 PM.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    They do make studded snow tires for bikes, you know.

I might do something similar to my Mirage wheels as I did with my Yaris, with chrome trim rings and center caps. I like the rugged look of naked steel wheels, and the stock Mitsubishi hubcaps are... meh.
    It's not the bike tires that I am worried about. My bike doesn't have heated handlebars!

If you do something with the steel wheels, please share. I've thought about doing the same. I don't mind steel wheels, & I am not a big fan of hubcaps either. I just haven't made an effort to change that.

Unless things have changed, they use cheap basic lug nuts under the hubcaps of the ES. I've just thought about getting nicer acorn lug nuts and center caps.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    I think he's referring to the trim in the speedo. The USA Mirage has 3 different styles.

My '17 SE has the bottom while it looks like yours has the top. I'm not quite sure how the differences are delegated.
    Pryme & you have the SE trim level, which apparently has a little more chrome trim around the speedometer, idiot lights, & tach.

The top pic is the base level ES trim probably.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    I think he's referring to the trim in the speedo. The USA Mirage has 3 different styles.

My '17 SE has the bottom while it looks like yours has the top. I'm not quite sure how the differences are delegated.
    Interesting. I'd say mine is like your middle picture, but without the silver paint around the speedometer. #3 definitely looks a little classier, so it makes sense that they'd put it on higher trim levels. But, it looks like they all use the same mold and electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It's not the bike tires that I am worried about. My bike doesn't have heated handlebars!

If you do something with the steel wheels, please share. I've thought about doing the same. I don't mind steel wheels, & I am not a big fan of hubcaps either. I just haven't made an effort to change that.

Unless things have changed, they use cheap basic lug nuts under the hubcaps of the ES. I've just thought about getting nicer acorn lug nuts and center caps.
    I don't think anyone is a big fan of hubcaps, at least not the modern plastic full-wheel covers, but some hubcaps are less awful than others. I'll keep you posted on what I do with the wheels. Trim rings are easy to find, but I might have to make my own center caps. The Yaris could use center caps from old base-model Corollas and Tercels; I'm not sure if anything is out there that would fit the Mirage wheels. I'd love to do something like what Volkswagen does on the Beetle.