Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Re-joining the 3-cylinder club

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just for giggles, here's a comparison to my last three-banger, from before I fixed it up. Click for larger pictures.

It's funny how tall the Mirage looks compared to the Metro. The Mirage is only 3" wider and 4" taller (length is identical), but its tall hood and high beltline make the wheels look smaller, and kind of awkward.

It'll be nice to be able to wax a whole car again. There was nothing left to wax on top of the Metro.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Good to see another former Metro owner here. Welcome and enjoy your new Mirage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Lol...my Mirage replaced an identical '97 Metro four years ago.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-17-2019)

Belated welcome, Scratchpaddy!

First: you take very nice photos. Impressive.

Second: lots of current & former Metro owners around here. I don't have a Mirage yet, but it's inevitable. In the mean time, I've got a small collection of 1.0L 5-speeds to last me until I do.

Thread: Geo Metro roll call: did you own a 3 cyl car before Mirage? (Suzuki, Smart, etc)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What. A founding member (?) and administrator of MirageForum.com, who has participated in nearly every thread for six years, does not, in fact, have a Mirage, yet. What's the hold up, man?

The Metro was definitely the most memorable car I've ever had. Despite being 20 years old, and with a quarter of a million miles on the clock, it only ever let me down once, when the fuel injector failed. I bought it to learn about working on cars, and discovered a loving, helpful, enthusiastic community around it, too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    never owned a 3 banger though I've often looked at metros suzukis and the like I've been using scooters but I now have difficulty driving them because of physical limitations (can't shift or work throttle) so I'll be trying one of these little mirages!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Lol...my Mirage replaced an identical '97 Metro four years ago.
    That old red Metro hatch there with your Mirage, is in great great shape, at least from the photo. You rarely to never see a car like that in Ontario, a few similar-era civics and that's about it, if that.

I like those cars the simplicity etc, but I heard one flew off the bridge between Port Huron Michigan and Sarnia Ontario not sure if that is true.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I must admit the Mirage is my first 3 cylinder car, but I have owned 2-3 other cars with less horsepower than the Mirage. I like the taller stance of the Mirage. It reminds me of my 1990 Ford Festiva (4-cylinder, 1.3L, 63 hp) that I drove for 14 years. The Festiva (designed by Mazda, built by KIA, sold by Ford) having only 2 side doors was my main gripe about that car. The Mirage eliminates that concern & offers some very nice features on top of all that.

I missed not having a small 5-speed manual hatchback for a number of years, & I am enjoying my first 3-cylinder car very much. Compared to some other vehicle forums I have visited in the past, the Mirage forum is pretty awesome! I appreciate that, too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    That old red Metro hatch there with your Mirage, is in great great shape, at least from the photo. You rarely to never see a car like that in Ontario, a few similar-era civics and that's about it, if that.

I like those cars the simplicity etc, but I heard one flew off the bridge between Port Huron Michigan and Sarnia Ontario not sure if that is true.
    It was pretty straight when I bought it. But over the course of owning it I replaced nearly everything! I rebuilt the engine once and replaced the transmission TWICE. The car really only left me stranded a couple times when the fuel injector went bad.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    It was pretty straight when I bought it. But over the course of owning it I replaced nearly everything! I rebuilt the engine once and replaced the transmission TWICE. The car really only left me stranded a couple times when the fuel injector went bad.
    I had an old VW Rabbit back in the day that was the same story, new tranny added 5th gear again and at least one fuel injector. You can't find parts for them only a decade and a half later.

I should have kept it for the amount I paid for the Rabbit not much and now I have the room go figure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)