Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Re-joining the 3-cylinder club

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Re-joining the 3-cylinder club

Hi all! I was a member of the Geo Metro club a few years ago. Since then, I've had a Yaris, then no car at all for a few months, and then a Cruze. I sold the Yaris because I could never get used to the wonky throttle response. I gave up on not having a car because it turns out I really do like having a car, even if I don't use it much, and A/C is nice when it's 115°. I sold the Cruze because the engine broke.

I had a lot of fun with the Metro, though, and my woes with the Cruze drove me back towards something small and simple. Last weekend, I rode my bike up to Scottsdale and took a look at the base-model Mirages they had for $11,500. I never thought I'd be the owner of a new car, as in not just new to me, but new new. The sight of that pristine little 3-cylinder in the engine bay, untainted by decades of abuse, unadorned by plastic shrouds, and not complicated by turbos or hybrid drives, makes me so happy.

I signed for a new Sapphire Blue '19 hatchback that morning, and dumped my broken Cruze on craigslist that afternoon. It sold in less than 15 minutes because I was too pessimistic about what people would pay for a broken car. Still, I got 3x what the dealer was willing to pay for it.

I brought in the check and drove the new car home today. It's cloudy today, so pictures have to wait until tomorrow. All I have now is this:

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (02-09-2019),Alex1a1f (02-09-2019),craigq (02-10-2019),Daox (02-10-2019),dspace9 (02-09-2019),inuvik (02-12-2019),Marklovski (02-10-2019),Pryme (02-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome. This is one of the best forums out there with a bunch of great people on it. Any plans for it or just stock and drive?
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I enjoyed reading your journey to a new Mirage!

I was also drawn to the simplicity of these little 3-cylinder economy cars. The 2019 base level hatchback has become a nice package in my mind. Cruise and 6-way adjustable driver's seat were added as standard items on all trim levels this year.

Congrats on your new car!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    All I have now is this
    Nothing better than that new car smell, and this way you know from day 1 what your car's history is, not the gamble used cars can be. Fun little car I have had my Mirage 5 years, been good and different on the road than a Cruise that's for sure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome aboard. I still have a few Metros left, but my DD is now a 2014 Mirage ES. I've gotten spoiled with the cruise, ac, yada, yada, that I now have, plus getting about the same mileage. Happy motoring

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Welcome. This is one of the best forums out there with a bunch of great people on it. Any plans for it or just stock and drive?
    The Geo Metro forum was by far the best car forum I've ever been on, and I know many members there have found their way here. From the lurking I've done so far, this looks like a pretty friendly place, too!

I'll keep the car pretty much stock, but for starters, I need some light-colored seat covers. The dog in my avatar (when she's not covered in mud) is white, and sheds, a lot... There's a place a short walk from where I work that makes custom-fit seat covers I like the look of, so I'll visit them on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I enjoyed reading your journey to a new Mirage!

I was also drawn to the simplicity of these little 3-cylinder economy cars. The 2019 base level hatchback has become a nice package in my mind. Cruise and 6-way adjustable driver's seat were added as standard items on all trim levels this year.

Congrats on your new car!
    Thank you! The addition of cruise control to the base model was a big part of my decision to buy one now. That's really the only option I want, and it's a hard thing to find on stick-shift cars. My chances of finding a used stick-shift mirage with cruise are just about zero, and adding it to these cars looks like a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Nothing better than that new car smell, and this way you know from day 1 what your car's history is, not the gamble used cars can be. Fun little car I have had my Mirage 5 years, been good and different on the road than a Cruise that's for sure.
    Good to hear you're happy with it after 5 years. The Cruze was (as the name suggests) a fantastic highway cruiser: comfortable, quiet, and efficient. I've never had a nicer car for road trips. But their little 1.4 turbo has to work hard in a car that weighs only a little less than a full-size Buick LeSabre (with a 3.8L V6) did 20 years ago, and cracked pistons are a common problem. I knew that when I bought the Cruze, thinking it probably wouldn't happen to me. And then it did.

The Mirage isn't quiet, and not exactly a joy on the highway, but I'll take the peace of mind simplicity brings over comfort now that I've experienced the wonders of the modern tiny turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    Welcome aboard. I still have a few Metros left, but my DD is now a 2014 Mirage ES. I've gotten spoiled with the cruise, ac, yada, yada, that I now have, plus getting about the same mileage. Happy motoring
    Hey, I remember you, Mr. Civic VX! The Mirage claims I got 47mpg on the way home from the dealer, which is better than I would have gotten in my '96 Metro on the same route. Hooray 0w-20 oil and modern aerodynamics!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I think you will enjoy your Mirage!

In 2017, the ES & SE trim level could be had with a manual transmissions. The SE trim level gave you added items like cruise, alloy wheels, automatic climate control, etc...

The manual transmission offering was limited to the ES trim level in 2018. Thus, cruise was pretty much an after market add on option only.

Thus, it was nice to see cruise control added to all trim levels in 2019. A base model Mirage in Canada would not have A/C, which would be a bummer for someone living where you do. I sort of chuckled when you mentioned biking to the dealer only because I had -15F when I left home (Wisconsin) this morning.

I would just enjoy your Mirage as is. I pretty much drove my 2017 ES (manual) as is for a time. Eventually (8 months later), I did add a Daox (member of this forum that designed/built these for purchase) rear sway bar. Very easy to install yourself, & it does improve the driving dynamics of the car.

I really like the car for what it is. It's affordable, reliable, & economical. The excellent warranty is also a big plus!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Hello Scratchpaddy and welcome to the forum. Nice first post.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm jealous you got the blue haha. My 19 Mirage is a dark gray color because it was between that and fleet white!

Out of curiousity, what year Yaris did you have? I've owned many of those and while my 2007 with a manual drives great the 16 I had that I traded in had a horrid delay. Thankfully, the mirage doesn't.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-10-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    But their little 1.4 turbo has to work hard in a car that weighs only a little less than a full-size Buick LeSabre (with a 3.8L V6) did 20 years ago, and cracked pistons are a common problem. I knew that when I bought the Cruze, thinking it probably wouldn't happen to me. And then it did.

The Mirage isn't quiet, and not exactly a joy on the highway
    Aspects of the Chevy Cruise from your first hand experience sounds alright, but I wonder if the spirited driving style I do all the time with my Mirage, with lots of revving the engine, would have meant a busted Cruise for me as well.

My next car I might go with a 500x Fiat, 6 speed but 1.4 Turbo, worried now about small turbos.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)