Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Re-joining the 3-cylinder club

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I had an old VW Rabbit back in the day that was the same story, new tranny added 5th gear again and at least one fuel injector. You can't find parts for them only a decade and a half later.

I should have kept it for the amount I paid for the Rabbit not much and now I have the room go figure.
    Lol, my Metro replaced a '91 diesel Jetta! I am very familiar with those old Rabbits, and could probably still time an injection pump in my sleep.

Why did I replace the Jetta with a Metro? Because I wanted 50 mpg AND tail lights that worked every day.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-18-2019)

Ha! I had a bunch of mk1 Rabbit/Golfs. Seemed every one needed an ignition switch & horn... but the worst were a couple that had leaks at the windshield base that dripped on the fuse box!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-21-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Ha! I had a bunch of mk1 Rabbit/Golfs. Seemed every one needed an ignition switch & horn... but the worst were a couple that had leaks at the windshield base that dripped on the fuse box!
    All my dash lights either blinked with no meaning, or didn't light up the spedo at night at all. Some stuff fixed by the time I sold my Rabbit. Those things are vintage hip now... Not that great when I first owned mine. My Rabbit was a Cabrio.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

I had every body style except the pickup. They were fun cars and easy to work on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    They were fun cars and easy to work on.
    But you had to work on them lol. That's one way to learn cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Starters, too... I seem to remember having to replace more than one VW starter... :-D

End thread jack. Sorry!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    End thread jack. Sorry!
    No need! We're getting to know each other in an introduction thread. This is all perfectly on topic.

Festivas, Metros, and diesel Volkswagens all sound like popular past cars for current Mirage owners.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-19-2019)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    This car will never be in better shape than it is today. It's all downhill from here, and I have no one else to blame for anything that might happen to it.
    Sadly this is so true. When I bought my first brand new car (Mirage) I was so proud. Kept it super clean, rust proofed entire car with cavity wax, added sweet wheels, upgraded suspension, Added accessories, etc. And then it happened!! The first dent!

Before I could fix the first dent, a second one happened! Then last fall wifey backed into a trailer and ripped the rear bumper half off ripping some of the material and scuffing it up good. In my opinion now it's her car since she drives it mostly and gonna let her drive the hell out of it like she does. If it holds up by time it's paid for, then I might consider a nice used one for my self.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ouch, that's a shame. I know one day that first dent will show up on my car. I want to believe I can keep it perfect and clean forever, but that's just not possible. If all else fails, at least it'll still be an efficient, reliable car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    Ouch, that's a shame. I know one day that first dent will show up on my car. I want to believe I can keep it perfect and clean forever, but that's just not possible. If all else fails, at least it'll still be an efficient, reliable car.
    I dont have any dents going on two years now but tiny chips on the paint, mainly the hood, is another story. And black shows up so easily. I've already fixed a few of them and have four more on the hood to do still.