Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hello Everyone! Considering buying a Mirage

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    With the Mirage, I think the gearing is to make it easier to make it up hills on the highway. If the gearing were taller, there would be more times when you would have to gear down or lose speed. So maybe you wouldn't buy the car because it is "underpowered". Yesterday I was driving about 120 km/hr with my Mirage with CVT on cruise control. On the flat it was doing about 2600 rpm. On some inclines, it would add 200 or 300 rpm and maintain speed. With a manual as it is currently geared, it would be able to pull the hill. A tall top gear would have required downshifting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

The Euro spec manual Mirage gets taller gearing than we do, and if I didn't want to shift gears, I would buy the CVT.

Otherwise, give me a top gear with good economy, and I will downshift to pass or climb thankyouverymuch!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Apparently Mitsubishi doesn't think that North Americans are willing to downshift, but that Europeans are. Trying to fit the product to the market. What gearing does the car has in other parts of the world? I drove a diesel smart car for years, so I'm not a stranger to downshifting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by MiMi View Post
    What gearing does the car has in other parts of the world? I drove a diesel smart car for years, so I'm not a stranger to downshifting.
    I've never driven a Smart. I'd like to try one sometime.

Gearing thread: Gear ratios: 2014 Mirage transmissions, 5-spd manual & CVT (speed vs. RPM chart)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks, I forgot that thread had the speed vs. rpm charts. I didn't see in that thread what the "Ds" mode is for the CVT transmission. I believe that was a European designation. My CVT has a "B" gear where B stands for braking, but might be the same thing. On the charts, the Ds mode goes to a maximum of 3000 rpm.

If you want to try a diesel smart, you should do it soon. 2006 was the last model year in Canada. There are a few near you. You can contact an owner through clubsmartcar.com or I could do that for you if you don't want to join the forum. Smart car owners love to show off their cars.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Good choice with the Fit! I love that car (Honda Jazz here), my mom has the first generation one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I love the Mirage and want to someday own one when they bring the sedan over. I am a Mitsubishi fan and was feeling cramped in my Honda CRZ..also had the battery die and I do not trust the Honda CVT over the long haul. So since I work out of my car and wanted something a little bigger I just traded the CRZ in for a 2015 Lancer GT 5 speed manual. The 5 speed does rev a little high in top gear, however this has advantages also. When you want to move quickly at highway speeds you just give it a little gas and it really goes/no time wasted downshifting. The Lancer GT is the 2.4 liter motor which in my opinion is one of their best most trouble free motors. It is getting around 28-29 mpg last night with my work day travels. The GT handles nicely not as harsh as my old EVO but fun enough for the twisties, yet comfy also. I got it for $17,500 here in Pennsylvania at D'Ambrsio Mitsubishi. So far I am pleased.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha_One View Post
    Good choice with the Fit! I love that car (Honda Jazz here), my mom has the first generation one.
    Thanks Alpha One! Do you still have the Charade as well?

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Yes, the Charade is still around.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)