Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a '94 automatic be made into a fun car?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Can a '94 automatic be made into a fun car?

I'm interested in a 1994 mirage es automatic with 140k miles. I wanted to know the potential with one of these cars for a daily driver and upgrading suspension/tires to make it fun. Is it possible? How much money would I have to throw at it to make it possible?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    It depends on your definition of “fun”. Welcome to the forum. If dumping a ton of money into a 25 yr old car is fun then “yes”. The Mirage has always been the entry level vehicle for Mitsubishi and with the exception of the turbo models of the late 80’s it’s always been a econobox. But for most of us current owners, that’s the appeal of our little cars. Don’t pay more than a couple hundred bucks for one. Because odds are after 25 yrs you are going to have to spend some $$ to keep it roadworthy. But hey, there are far worse things you could dump money into so as long as you don’t have any delusions of grandeur it could be a fun project car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-11-2019)

Don't be like 16 year old me was, buy a 30 year old vehicle for $500 then spend $2500 getting it road worthy. Then have it nickle and dime you so you never have money in your savings account for the next 20 years lol I don't miss having to fill up the oil more often than the gas tank.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Since nobody else mentioned it: You're on the wrong forum. I mean, we'll talk to you and stuff... but, this forum is specifically for the 2012+ "6th Generation" Mirage. Most of us aren't exactly experts on the older Mirages.

That said, any car can be made fun... depending on what you call fun. Personally, anything with a traditional 3 or 4 speed automatic transmission and an underpowered 4-cylinder is not going make the cut. But, the same car with a manual transmission that allows you to get the most out of what little power you have... sure.

But, consider how much money you're going to spend. Then, go price a Miata of the same vintage.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Everyone if right, it depends on what you consider fun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu5wVn_8k18

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It won't be fun but those old ones were pretty tough. If it's inexpensive, run the hell out of it until it doesn't have any more service to give.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It's silver with some faded clear coat, but engine bay is super clean and new tires. asking $1k. Small rust spots on roof and the front seat is pretty busted. Do any of you all know much about these older models and what to look for when I go to see it for first time tomorrow?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rawvortec View Post
    I'm interested in a 1994 mirage es automatic ........... to make it fun. Is it possible?
    It depends on how good you are with explosives.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rawvortec View Post
    It's silver with some faded clear coat, but engine bay is super clean and new tires. asking $1k. Small rust spots on roof and the front seat is pretty busted. Do any of you all know much about these older models and what to look for when I go to see it for first time tomorrow?
    I wouldn’t pay more than $500 and that would be a stretch. Don’t forget the MSRP of this car new was probably about $4k. It’s really only worth it’s value in scrap metal and not much more. Don’t forget the fact it’s a 25 yr old automatic transmission that if it hasn’t failed yet then it’s way over due.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I wouldn’t pay more than $500 and that would be a stretch. Don’t forget the MSRP of this car new was probably about $4k. It’s really only worth it’s value in scrap metal and not much more. Don’t forget the fact it’s a 25 yr old automatic transmission that if it hasn’t failed yet then it’s way over due.
    Automatics suck but if the car runs, has new tires, and passes state inspection, I’d say it’s worth at least $1,000. It’s never going to be a fun car but I’d be happy with it for simple transportation. According to the Huffington post, the average car payment is nearly $500. If the car lasts two months it’s paid for itself.