Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hear a bang. (Check out this damage!)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    No wonder I drink. I just got into an argument with someone saying the heated mirrors don't work. Our cars don't have that option, the snowflake button is for the ac......
    If the A/C goes out on that car this coming summer & the same driver complains, you can tell s/he that same button is for the heated mirrors!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

craigq (02-14-2019),Fummins (02-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Wow!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Holy **** that's insane! Poor car!
    -Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's a really peculiar pattern to the hole punched in the muffler, almost like whatever it was had teeth.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Attachment 13947Attachment 13948Attachment 13949 Added a few pics, you can kinda see how bent everything is in the first one.
    I was able to straighten out the 2 rear bolts that hold the frame to the body by threading them in a ways then used a 27mm socket and extension to go over the bolt and pry the bolt til it was straight. I could feel the weld holding the nut inside the body starting to break inside the body. Hope they don't break off and and spin if I ever need to remove them again! I sprayed them with copper coat and hoped for the best..

Other wise the new crossmember bolted up fine. I did have to replace the intermediate shaft(between steering column and rack and pinion) because it was collapsed about an inch and would not budge back into place.

I realized it's easier to just unbolt the upper part of the steering shaft from the column and remove it out the bottom with the rack and pinion. The upper part of the shaft has a master spline at the column, the lower part does not and can easily be misaligned requiring the frame to be dropped down a little to remove the shaft and try again...

Now I gotta go back out and pull the exhaust from a 17' burried in the snow. Probably shouldn't admit this but I had a complete exhaust in the shop and had a dealertard moment. Hung it in place and realized it was too short. It was from a 15' Derp derp!
    Cant you just let it dump out under the car lol?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    driver heard a bang??? shouldn't it have been heard a bang that threw the car quite violently ...
    kinda looks like one of those "watch this and hold my beer" situations...
    maybe look for new you tube posts of what actually happened?

sounds like you need an exhaust stretcher.... and probably a lot of cold beers...

did anyone venture out to try and see what the driver actually hit?? just out of curiosity
    when someone "other than me" destroys something at work or equipment eats itself i am usually called in to play forensic investigator and determine blame and some times cause of death..lol

as always please keep the posts coming they are greatly appreciated

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow.

Is that employee still with you guys? lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Wow, thats impressive damage!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Yup, this is my favourite picture:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

I see you edited the first post with the comment: "Changed title to not bad words."

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)