Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coolant pH Test Results - Post them here

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts

Coolant pH Test Results - Post them here

I'm starting a dedicated thread for engine coolant pH test results. Maybe we'll see a trend. If you want to debate coolant types, maintenance schedules, etc...please don't do it in here!

In order to get some context for your test results, it would be helpful if you posted the following:

• Model year of your Mirage
    • Mileage
    • Coolant...Are you still running the factory fill? Have you changed it? You aren't sure?
    • Have you experienced reduced heat output in your car?
    • pH level

Here are my results...

Year: 2015
    Mileage: 60,000
    Coolant: Factory Fill...original coolant has never been changed
    Reduced Heat: Yes...I have tested my car and have symptoms of a restricted heater core.
    pH Level: 7

Here is my test strip...

Name:  Test_strip.jpg
Views: 4590
Size:  76.6 KB

As you can see...my car's coolant is neutral...not acidic. Yet my car also has reduced output on the passenger side...consistent with Doax's discovery of a restricted heater core on the passenger side of the core. So it seems coolant acidity may have nothing to do with the heater core issues some of us are experiencing.

I used Phoenix Systems Double Ended Coolant and Brake Fluid Test Strips. These aren't cheap, but they work with all types of coolant and are well-proven. An added benefit is that you can check your coolant with one end of the strip, and your brake fluid with the other. You can see both of my results in the image above.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

A-Aron (02-12-2019),Daox (02-12-2019),Eggman (02-12-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Date of manufacture: March 2014
    Mileage: approx. 75 000km
    Coolant: Factory fill was drained 1/2016. Refilled with Gysantin G30
    Heater output: OK.
    PH level: approx. 8.5 after three years.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midgeinc View Post
    Excuse my ignorance. When did Europe become a country?
    The European Union is considered either as a Federal country, or as a country in founding. The member states of Europe being the former European countries. One state is now leaving that Union, because amongst other things they consider the pace of unification as too quick or frightening... Enough said.
    Last edited by foama; 02-12-2019 at 03:42 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    midgeinc, let's stick to discussing the Mirage and leave politics to another forum. There's no need for that here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by midgeinc View Post
    Aye. Fair dues man. So how do i delete This account? Just pointing out fake facts.
    It's easy to have opinions from one online forum carry over to another. The intent is not to keep you from that, just don't carry it here. There's lots of other places for those discussions.

The problem usually evolves to the point where it drive members away.

This internet forum is for the sixth generation Mitsubishi Mirage. It brings Mirage owners together from many different countries. We get a lot of insight this way, and are able to use this broad base of knowledge for the benefit of all.

So, there's no real reason to leave. Just keep it to the Mirage here and there's no need to leave altogether.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Thanks Eggman! Getting back to the pH discussion...

I'm looking for a few volunteers...

If you are the original owner of a high-mileage (over 100,000 miles) Mirage and you have never changed your coolant, how about testing it for us and posting your results?

You don't need to buy anything. I will send you a FREE test strip and a card explaining how to read it. Here's what you'll get...

Name:  coolant_strip.jpg
Views: 2162
Size:  72.4 KB

All you have to do is take off your radiator cap, dip the end of the test strip into the coolant, and read the color chart on the card. It takes about 3 minutes.

As an added bonus, one end of the test strip will let you measure the condition of your brake fluid. So you get all of this info for FREE!

I'm just curious what old, high-mileage coolant in these cars will look like on a pH scale.

If you have a Mirage that fits these parameters AND you are willing to do the test and post your results, shoot me a PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-15-2019),Eggman (02-13-2019),fc321 (02-13-2019),foama (02-15-2019),Geojake (02-21-2019),ThunderG (02-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It's easy to have opinions from one online forum carry over to another. The intent is not to keep you from that, just don't carry it here. There's lots of other places for those discussions.

The problem usually evolves to the point where it drive members away.

This internet forum is for the sixth generation Mitsubishi Mirage. It brings Mirage owners together from many different countries. We get a lot of insight this way, and are able to use this broad base of knowledge for the benefit of all.

So, there's no real reason to leave. Just keep it to the Mirage here and there's no need to leave altogether.

And yet foamas attack on the U.K. goes unchallenged by the moderators

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman1 View Post
    Huh? I think the use of the word "attack" might be hyperbole

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Thanks Eggman! Getting back to the pH discussion...

I'm looking for a few volunteers...

If you are the original owner of a high-mileage (over 100,000 miles) Mirage and you have never changed your coolant, how about testing it for us and posting your results?

You don't need to buy anything. I will send you a FREE test strip and a card explaining how to read it. Here's what you'll get...

Name:  coolant_strip.jpg
Views: 2162
Size:  72.4 KB

All you have to do is take off your radiator cap, dip the end of the test strip into the coolant, and read the color chart on the card. It takes about 3 minutes.

As an added bonus, one end of the test strip will let you measure the condition of your brake fluid. So you get all of this info for FREE!

I'm just curious what old, high-mileage coolant in these cars will look like on a pH scale.

If you have a Mirage that fits these parameters AND you are willing to do the test and post your results, shoot me a PM.
    I have a buddy with 118k on his, I'll ask if he has OG coolant. If so, since I know he's not on the forum but is an enthusiast himself, can I get one?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman1 View Post
    I must have missed it. Good thing we aren't attacking each other over this.