Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hatch bike racks?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That design is pictured by it's manufacturer as being anchored to roof rack rails. A roof rack would need to be purchased separately since the Mirage does not come with them. Several etrailer photos depict the straps anchored to the top of the hatch on what looks like a Buick SUV. I would not recommend doing that to a Mirage hatch, due to risking either damage to the Mirage spoiler or having the strap anchor slip off because the spoiler interferes.

That strap-on bike carrier retails for $279. etrailer is selling it for $251.99 at this time. That's pretty expensive for what is essentially a one-trick pony.

I didn't know they could be so expensive. That's twice the cost of a hitch designed for the Mirage - one that is easily mounted under the bumper and offers more flexible options.

Here's a hitch and hitch-mounted bicycle carrier combination from Curt that costs less than that strap-on carrier:

Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver Item # C11394

Curt Hitch Bike Racks - C18029

At today's etrailer prices, these two items cost $209.82. That's $42.17 less than the strap-on bike carrier alone.

With a hitch and hitch-mounted bike carrier, you get
    - a secure mount underneath the car with nuts and bolts, not fabric straps.
    - is less of a theft risk.
    - won't damage the vehicle with scratched paint or risk denting the thin sheet metal found on the Mirage.
    - allows the hatch to be operated easily.
    - allows the bike carrier to be easily installed and removed, in less time than a strap-on carrier.
    - does more than a strap-on hitch by allowing other uses such as a hitch-mounted cargo carrier.

With either setup, I suggest getting a set of Air Lift suspension helpers to help carry the extra weight behind the rear axle.

Just for the record - I just picked a design that would work if you wanted to go that route. Yes the one is attached to the roof rail in the picture, but it wouldn't have to be that way. The rack I just randomly picked was listed to fit on 2014-15 Mirage, & companies don't alway update their data. There are probably several racks that would fit a Mirage.

The original question was about hatchback racks. I am sure they exist, but I don't care enough to search for the perfect one. That's why I suggested looking at reviews.

I don't think hitch ones are always easier to attach. The one that I have has to be bolted into the receiver. Ever women that I know that has hitch bike carrier leaves them on all-year, because they are heavy for them or it's more effort than want to do to take it off. Personally, I wouldn't do that, because it can rust into the receiver. I've that happen on a ball hitch. Left it in for a long time, & I could not pound it out swinging a sledge hammer with full force. In the end, the entire hitch had to be removed and heated with a torch. Why did I have to do that? I wanted to use my hitch bike rack.

I prefer hitch bike rack, & I am not arguing that. I am just saying other styles exist. Sounds like Rowsdower is convinced to go that route anyways, & you have given him some good suggestions. I'm sure he appreciate that.

True, if something fits a 14' hatch it'll fit a 17' and likely an 18' unless the something changed for the gt's, maybe the hatch is carbon fiber?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Just for the record - I just picked a design that would work if you wanted to go that route. Yes the one is attached to the roof rail in the picture, but it wouldn't have to be that way. The rack I just randomly picked was listed to fit on 2014-15 Mirage, & companies don't alway update their data. There are probably several racks that would fit a Mirage.

The original question was about hatchback racks. I am sure they exist, but I don't care enough to search for the perfect one. That's why I suggested looking at reviews.

I don't think hitch ones are always easier to attach. The one that I have has to be bolted into the receiver. Ever women that I know that has hitch bike carrier leaves them on all-year, because they are heavy for them or it's more effort than want to do to take it off. Personally, I wouldn't do that, because it can rust into the receiver. I've that happen on a ball hitch. Left it in for a long time, & I could not pound it out swinging a sledge hammer with full force. In the end, the entire hitch had to be removed and heated with a torch. Why did I have to do that? I wanted to use my hitch bike rack.

I prefer hitch bike rack, & I am not arguing that. I am just saying other styles exist. Sounds like Rowsdower is convinced to go that route anyways, & you have given him some good suggestions. I'm sure he appreciate that.
    All good points Mark. The one hatchback design you suggested is one I haven't seen before. I think it's clever in that it tries to address problems that arise with rear spoilers.

I recall someone here mentioned removing their rear spoiler and found it is plastic and held in place with some double-sided sticky tape. I'm not sure if there are any screw fasteners involved or not. Wouldn't want to crack that little guy up - it's patented after all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

China doesn't care about no stinkin patents https://driving.ca/lexus/auto-news/e...iginal-designs

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    But the Mirage spoiler is precious.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)