Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hatch bike racks?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Hatch bike racks?

Hi all,

I was searching old threads on bike racks and noticed that there hasn't been any discussions in recent years. The dimensions of the Mirage may not have really changed but there may have been changes in what's available.

I'm considering a hitch but I primarily would like to know about hatch racks.

Also, I don't see the appeal in a roof rack.

Thanks for any information!

-Rowsdower (2018 GT)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    https://www.etrailer.com/trunkmount-...shi_Mirage.htm

These models have a number of reviews included.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Rowsdower (02-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    https://www.etrailer.com/trunkmount-...shi_Mirage.htm

These models have a number of reviews included.
    I used to use one of those strap-on bike racks - never again. They scratch the paint and restrict access to the rear cargo area. I've switched to a hitch-mounted bike rack and won't go back. I've also found the hitch-mounted bike carrier to be much more secure and much less worrisome that I might lose the cargo they carry and cause a problem on the highway.

Rowsdower, sorry I can't be much help. That bike carrier works much better than a hatch mounted bike rack, and I don't expect I'll have to ever purchase another.
    Last edited by Eggman; 02-12-2019 at 08:09 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Rowsdower (02-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I used to use one of those strap-on bike racks - never again. They scratch the paint and restrict access to the rear cargo area. I've switched to a hitch-mounted bike rack and won't go back. I've also found the hitch-mounted bike carrier to be much more secure and much less worrisome that I might lose the cargo they carry and cause a problem on the highway.

Rowsdower, sorry I can't be much help. That bike carrier works much better than a hatch mounted bike rack, and I don't expect I'll have to ever purchase another.
    Would it be possible to place a towel or shelf liner between the rack and hatch?

I'd just get the hitch one myself. The hatch probably won't stay up with just a rack attached let alone a bike on it. You'll have the added expensive of getting a hitch. But then you'll have a hitch to use for hitching things and stuff.... And with a hitch bike rack you can cover your plate(by accident of course) to avoid photo radar tickets.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-01-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    And with a hitch bike rack you can cover your plate(by accident of course) to avoid photo radar tickets.
    Ok I'm sold! Seriously, though, it looks like I'll go with the hitch because it's already hard trying to find a rack that officially fits. The racks on etrailer state that they are incompatible with a 2018. So, I'll go with the path of least resistance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowsdower View Post
    Ok I'm sold! Seriously, though, it looks like I'll go with the hitch because it's already hard trying to find a rack that officially fits. The racks on etrailer state that they are incompatible with a 2018. So, I'll go with the path of least resistance.
    I would call or email etrailer, because I don't think they keep that information updated. I just looked at the review of this one below, and there are all sorts of vehicles this rack fits. I can't imagine it wouldn't fit a Mirage. Seriously, there over a 100 reviews on this one bike rack.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trunk-Bike-...id=20151379961

They have video clips showing how it's installed. There is nothing strange about the hatchback of a Mirage.

I have used both, but not on my Mirage. There are advantages to both. You may be able to use this carrier on multiple (or future) vehicles without a need for a hitch. Opening a the hatch becomes a pain, but you can access the back of a 4 door hatch quite easily, too. They are usually easy to remove & put on.

I have a decent hitch carrier, because I always have a vehicle that can pull a trailer. I wouldn't be opposed to using a hatch bike carrie either. Not trying to cloud your decision. I just wouldn't assume etrailer doesn't have one that fits your car. My guess is that they have several, & they are guilty of not updating their website.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How would a strap-on bike carrier fit over the patented Mirage plastic rear spoiler? I hope that it wouldn't cause any damage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    How would a strap-on bike carrier fit over the patented Mirage plastic rear spoiler? I hope that it wouldn't cause any damage.
    Hollywood Racks Over-the-Top 3 Bike Rack for Vehicles w/ Spoilers - Trunk Mount - Adjustable Arms

https://www.etrailer.com/Trunk-Bike-...id=20151379961

As the name suggests the straps are way above the rear spoiler. There is no contact! These racks are probably probably more secure than a hitch mount. When you snug them down, there is no movement.

I can't say that about my hitch mount rack, but I may not have the best or most expensive one. My hitch rack is 10 times more solid if I strap the top of it to the top of my rear hatch, & I do that when I use it. The only difference is that I had to come up with my own straps to do that.

I am not saying one rack is better than the other. I just feel options are out there. etrailer.com does offer a lot of reviews on their products & I do like that about them. Once you decide on one, you may find the same bike rack cheaper somewhere else.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That design is pictured by it's manufacturer as being anchored to roof rack rails. A roof rack would need to be purchased separately since the Mirage does not come with them. Several etrailer photos depict the straps anchored to the top of the hatch on what looks like a Buick SUV. I would not recommend doing that to a Mirage hatch, due to risking either damage to the Mirage spoiler or having the strap anchor slip off because the spoiler interferes.

That strap-on bike carrier retails for $279. etrailer is selling it for $251.99 at this time. That's pretty expensive for what is essentially a one-trick pony.

I didn't know they could be so expensive. That's twice the cost of a hitch designed for the Mirage - one that is easily mounted under the bumper and offers more flexible options.

Here's a hitch and hitch-mounted bicycle carrier combination from Curt that costs less than that strap-on carrier:

Curt Trailer Hitch Receiver Item # C11394
    Quote Originally Posted by etrailer.com
    Retail:$201.67
    Our Price: $133.95
    You Save: $67.72
    Curt Hitch Bike Racks - C18029
    Quote Originally Posted by etrailer.com
    Retail:$192.51
    Our Price: $100.87
    $75.87 after $25.00 Mail-In Rebate

Carry up to 2 bikes on the back of your vehicle with this sturdy bike rack from Curt. Anti-sway cradles provide a secure hold. Tilting mast lets you access cargo area. Includes a 2" hitch adapter, anti-wobble hitch pin, and a support strap.
    At today's etrailer prices, these two items cost $209.82. That's $42.17 less than the strap-on bike carrier alone.

With a hitch and hitch-mounted bike carrier, you get
    - a secure mount underneath the car with nuts and bolts, not fabric straps.
    - is less of a theft risk.
    - won't damage the vehicle with scratched paint or risk denting the thin sheet metal found on the Mirage.
    - allows the hatch to be operated easily.
    - allows the bike carrier to be easily installed and removed, in less time than a strap-on carrier.
    - does more than a strap-on hitch by allowing other uses such as a hitch-mounted cargo carrier.

With either setup, I suggest getting a set of Air Lift suspension helpers to help carry the extra weight behind the rear axle.