Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dark Magenta :: 2018 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Dark Magenta
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Wine Red Metallic (Dark Magenta)
    manual

I want to meet people from the MPLS StP area to talk about mods, especially lower suspension and higher MPG.

Details

A few days ago, I got a sheet of white coroplast, black primer, black zip ties, a cheap little razor knife and some pipe insulation. Tonight I did version 1 of a lower grill block. I took basic measurements and added a bit and took the first cuts followed by a lot of hold it up, mark where to cut and cut more off. I cut a pipe insulation thing in half and zip tyed it to the upper part of the lower grill and added the other half to a whole piece (it's more complicated than that, but that's basically it) and zip tyed that to the lower half of the lower grill. One last test fit to see where I wanted the zip tye holes holes in the coroplast. I painted the grill block and took a break for supper.
    Tried to find a Salvadoran restaurant within walking distance of my house. Found a Somalian restaurant instead...I do love goat.
    Well, under 20° is not ideal for that paint to dry in that amount of time, so by the time I got it all put together, I had black spots on my fingers and white spots on my grill block. The early morning drives in a car that doesn't have the fancy heater warmer thingys behind the glove box is taking its toll, so I covered the white marks with permanent marker and called it a night. If it survives my trip to and from work, I'll take some pics tomorrow afternoon.

Success and warmer cabin!

5.17.19 Added Air Lip universal air dam. Not impressed so far.

5.14.20 Windows tinted.

I got those dealer winter mats...using the factory mats to reinforce the floor of the hatch...keep stuff from falling by the spare. Also got a dealer arm rest; worth it for the arm rest, but the material is cheap and now worn and the latch doesn’t latch anymore.

•  

Stock. I'd love to trade the unsightly, off-center, butt nose (rear view camera) for an in-dash GPS.

6/27/2020 I replaced my steering wheel and had cruise control enabled.

•  

Daox bar installed 5/3/19. Eibach springs installed 10/4/19. Later I installed Daox bar v2. 7/12/21 I installed Ultra Racing sway bar.

•  

14x6 Kosei K1 TS with Enasaves.

Dunlop Winter Maxx on the steelies.

Comments: 20 / Views: 11431
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hello Dark Magenta and welcome to the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got my fed tax return and caught up some bills and decided it was time to take the $90 Craigslist wheels to Discount Tire and see what they thought. Less than $100 later and they switched the Enasaves and TPMS from the steelies to the Koseis balanced them and disposed of the old tires. They say I they can get the 155/70-14 Nokian winter tires for a price comparable to tireseasydotcom and cloning TPMS for $88 EACH...may skip that... I'm pretty sure they scratched one of the rims as the scratch matched up with a line on the tire, but eh...it was cheap. They seemed impressed by their light weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dark Magenta For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-19-2019),inuvik (04-19-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    ..may skip that... I'm pretty sure they scratched one of the rims as the scratch matched up with a line on the tire, but eh...it was cheap. They seemed impressed by their light weight.
    I have the endasaves on my 2014 Mirage's summer rims, and bridgestones on my steelies.

Cool car, looks good in the wine red for sure. How did you mod the grill paint wise? I can't figure that part out. I have the older front grille on my '14. I like the new hood on the 2018's compared to mine, and the wine red colour.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    How did you mod the grill paint wise? I can't figure that part out.
    It was not a good experience. I haven't done anything to make it look better than the awful, cold night I installed it. I painted it with some matte black primer which seemed like pretty good quality, but not for painting at 20 degrees F. I let it sit for an hour or so and when I installed it, it wasn't dry, so I covered the fingerprints with Sharpie marker.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Magenta For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-19-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It was not a good experience
    Woops not the right thing to do in the winter, no matter the hours of planning.

The right paint shop can match that black back to the original rich dark red colour it came in. That's my advice.

Check out the online parts website Mitsubishi Parts now, you can order a bumper in that colour. Might cost you a few hundred bucks. You could probably do it yourself. Buddy on here a few days ago says the site is legit. Then work on your custom bumper, and have a stock backup.

Look into the off-centre stripes they have for the Mirage. Might have to import from Europe or something. Mitsu UK has white and black stripes, or did. Not sure we can get them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Woops not the right thing to do in the winter, no matter the hours of planning.

The right paint shop can match that black back to the original rich dark red colour it came in. That's my advice.
    Maybe I wasn't clear. I painted the coroplast. I haven't taken it off yet, so I don't know if the paint got on the bumper or the chromed plastic. If I make version 2 next fall, I'll try harder to get black coroplast...or maybe I can "find" a political sign or advertisement made of coroplast and make a funny grill block out of that.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Maybe I wasn't clear. I painted the coroplast. I haven't taken it off yet
    I think I understand now, I just wanted you to know some ways around to get back to square one with your bumper. But I see what you are saying now. Painting in a garage isn't pleasant, but most real paint shops are enclosed, to keep off possible debris etc. Painting outside in the winter not really a good ingredients for a smooth finish.

I never bothered with proper stuff with my VW and various touch-up homemade paint jobs in years past, but that was a beater Rabbit.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dark Magenta (04-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Those wheels look great on the car! I like that wine color too. Wish they had it in ‘14 as a color choice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ed100 For This Useful Post:

Dark Magenta (04-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    They say I they can get the 155/70-14 Nokian winter tires for a price comparable to tireseasydotcom and cloning TPMS for $88 EACH...may skip that... I'm pretty sure they scratched one of the rims as the scratch matched up with a line on the tire, but eh...it was cheap. They seemed impressed by their light weight.
    You may or may not be interested in this, & I am by no means an expert in all this. You can buy an Autel TS408 tool ($129.50) and 4 of their sensors (approximately $29 each) that you can clone yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-Intelli.../dp/B06Y5D6XXB

https://www.amazon.com/Autel-6937357...W3Z9PBP4NGJTM6

I didn't shop around for best prices. Just check Amazon's prices on these items. For about $100 less than their $88 x 4 quote, you could come up with your own cloned sensors. If an original sensors went bad, you would be able to create your own replacement in the future, too. These sensors could be used with other vehicles, too.

I don't think it is a big deal to drive without sensors during the winter months. I drive with some sensors missing during the winter months myself. If I decide to correct that, I will probably go this route.

If you have any interest in this, Top_Fuel created a wonderful thread on this topic.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...uick-Reference

P.S. - I think your new wheels look sharp!

Last edited by Mark; 04-19-2019 at 05:55 PM.