Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dark Magenta :: 2018 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Dark Magenta
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Wine Red Metallic (Dark Magenta)
    manual

I want to meet people from the MPLS StP area to talk about mods, especially lower suspension and higher MPG.

Details

A few days ago, I got a sheet of white coroplast, black primer, black zip ties, a cheap little razor knife and some pipe insulation. Tonight I did version 1 of a lower grill block. I took basic measurements and added a bit and took the first cuts followed by a lot of hold it up, mark where to cut and cut more off. I cut a pipe insulation thing in half and zip tyed it to the upper part of the lower grill and added the other half to a whole piece (it's more complicated than that, but that's basically it) and zip tyed that to the lower half of the lower grill. One last test fit to see where I wanted the zip tye holes holes in the coroplast. I painted the grill block and took a break for supper.
    Tried to find a Salvadoran restaurant within walking distance of my house. Found a Somalian restaurant instead...I do love goat.
    Well, under 20° is not ideal for that paint to dry in that amount of time, so by the time I got it all put together, I had black spots on my fingers and white spots on my grill block. The early morning drives in a car that doesn't have the fancy heater warmer thingys behind the glove box is taking its toll, so I covered the white marks with permanent marker and called it a night. If it survives my trip to and from work, I'll take some pics tomorrow afternoon.

Success and warmer cabin!

5.17.19 Added Air Lip universal air dam. Not impressed so far.

5.14.20 Windows tinted.

I got those dealer winter mats...using the factory mats to reinforce the floor of the hatch...keep stuff from falling by the spare. Also got a dealer arm rest; worth it for the arm rest, but the material is cheap and now worn and the latch doesn’t latch anymore.

•  

Stock. I'd love to trade the unsightly, off-center, butt nose (rear view camera) for an in-dash GPS.

6/27/2020 I replaced my steering wheel and had cruise control enabled.

•  

Daox bar installed 5/3/19. Eibach springs installed 10/4/19. Later I installed Daox bar v2. 7/12/21 I installed Ultra Racing sway bar.

•  

14x6 Kosei K1 TS with Enasaves.

Dunlop Winter Maxx on the steelies.

Comments: 20 / Views: 11429
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You may or may not be interested in this, & I am by no means an expert in all this. You can buy an Autel TS408 tool ($129.50) and 4 of their sensors (approximately $29 each) that you can clone yourself.
    Time and money...mostly money. I'm bored at work (like right now) enough that when I'm more ready, I'll probably do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't think it is a big deal to drive without sensors during the winter months.
    I'll weigh the pros and cons. I think I've only had one other car with them...and I didn't own it long. I'm also interested if the clones will be able to read more than it's under 32 (or whatever) PSI. I'm giving myself until I am ready to pay for the Nokians to decide what to do.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    Time and money...mostly money. I'm bored at work (like right now) enough that when I'm more ready, I'll probably do this.

I'll weigh the pros and cons. I think I've only had one other car with them...and I didn't own it long. I'm also interested if the clones will be able to read more than it's under 32 (or whatever) PSI. I'm giving myself until I am ready to pay for the Nokians to decide what to do.
    I don't see myself doing anything until I change tires again, too. Meanwhile, I just think of the TPMS dash light being on during the winter months as my "winter tires are on the car" indicator light.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Time and money...mostly money
    I have been looking at winters myself, and another winter tire to look at --but I got no first hand experience with--is the Nordman 7, they have non-studded and studded versions available. Fits my 2014 Mirage as their recommended tire on the Kaltire website app.

They had a Pirelli winter tire of the same size, for sale years ago, but apparently no longer. Not sure the availability of that one at other stores. The Nordman 7 is just over $100 a tire Canadian at kal.

I would also in a cold climate get the undercarriage, everything, professionally oil coated by a Krown type undercoating. Winters are brutal on cars and I feel oiling every year has saved my Mirage and still looking new and solid 5 years on.
    Last edited by dspace9; 04-19-2019 at 08:42 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I have been looking at winters myself, and another winter tire to look at --but I got no first hand experience with--is the Nordman 7, they have non-studded and studded versions available. Fits my 2014 Mirage as their recommended tire on the Kaltire website app.

They had a Pirelli winter tire of the same size, for sale years ago, but apparently no longer. Not sure the availability of that one at other stores. The Nordman 7 is just over $100 a tire Canadian at kal.

I would also in a cold climate get the undercarriage, everything, professionally oil coated by a Krown type undercoating. Winters are brutal on cars and I feel oiling every year has saved my Mirage and still looking new and solid 5 years on.
    I have a pair of the Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires (165/65-14) that I bought in December of 2017. I've used them on the front of my Mirage the past two winters, and they have been OK. They were made in Russia. I can't say that I have been overly impressed by the Nordman 7, but they are better in the snow than all-season tires. I bought mine from tires-easy.com at the time, but I've seen Walmart list them at certain times.

The Dunlop WinterMaxx seems like the most common 165/65-14 listed snow tire in the U.S. I've never heard anyone speak negatively about them, but I have no experience with them.

1010 Tires seems to list several different snow tires for both the U.S. & Canadian markets, but I don't know what their shipping charges are like?

https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/165-65R14

There seems to be more snow tire choices in Canada.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know very little about this...but living in Minnesota, roadsalt hell, I should learn. I should probably do something about my slowly rusting brakes, too, now that they're exposed...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I know very little about this...but living in Minnesota, roadsalt hell
    There is no way around it, road salt loves to eat cars. Here is the web-site for the rust control:
    https://www.krown.com/en/

Saves your electrical from corroding also.. this is why my '14 Mirage looks pretty much new, and it's driving in Ontario year-round. For me it's been worth the cost of a yearly spray, as long as you're keeping your car a while.

I should also say I only get my Mirage rustproofed every year and a half, or so, to reduce the cost (around $119.99). Does the trick anyway basically just like the dentist every 6 months is a money grab.
    Last edited by dspace9; 04-20-2019 at 05:08 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dark Magenta (04-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There is no way around it, road salt loves to eat cars. Here is the web-site for the rust control:
    https://www.krown.com/en/
    Their website says the closest Krown is 443 km from me. I'll look for a similar service because I have had pretty bad rust in previous vehicles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Their website says the closest Krown is 443 km from me. I'll look for a similar service because I have had pretty bad rust in previous vehicles.
    I'm pretty sure you can purchase and apply this stuff yourself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can purchase and apply this stuff yourself.
    Yes, just many people aren't willing or able to. Like I wouldn't be drilling my Mirage and fishing spray holes into my car. You can get a can of it yourself, but it's not quite the same as the pro's show they put on for the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think I'll stop at Ziebart and ask about their rust protection, undercoating and sound deadener.

Last edited by Dark Magenta; 05-28-2019 at 01:22 PM.