Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Dying at 48k miles?? (Update: not dying. Electrical prob, tail lights)

There was a code for tail lights? Why were you expecting that, do you have led bulbs. Some kinds mess with the computer so if that's the case pull them out and throw them in trash.

Did you actually have non oem cvt fliud, and if so how did it get in there and was it compatible with the mitsu stuff j4 I believe? They can't void your warranty because you don't use overpriced cvt from the dealership. As long as it's compatible and you have documentation then you should be fine.

EDIT:
    I just looked at your garage, i see why you were expecting the error codes now.

Last edited by Fummins; 02-13-2019 at 06:08 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (02-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good to hear it was a quick fix. Hopefully it stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    There was a code for tail lights? Why were you expecting that, do you have led bulbs. Some kinds mess with the computer so if that's the case pull them out and throw them in trash.
    The stock tail lights are LED, starting in 2017 I think.

edit: oops, I just saw the OP has a 2015. His garage entry shows some pretty slick aftermarket LED lights.

Pretty funny that there's a code for tail lights. I wonder if there's one for blinker fluid?
    Last edited by Scratchpaddy; 02-13-2019 at 06:03 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Yep, sure looks like there's a correlation between LED taillights and engine problems here:

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Actually install is easy, took me 5 minutes. It put my abs and traction lights on. Problem was solved with a $15 led load resistor kit. Just spliced the resistors between the green and black wires and attached them to the metal of the car (they get super hot).

All lights turned off as soon as I turned the car back on and hit the brakes. No problems since!
    Makes me wonder if one of those load resistors failed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This sounds to me like a failure of the transmission to shift into its second gear. As well as the cvt, there are 2 fixed mechanical ratios. 45mph sounds like close to reasonable for being the speed in mechanical first with the cvt in its highest ratio and for some reason not upshifting the mechanical epicyclic gearset. The lack of acceleration would be the ecu closing the throttle avoid hitting the rev limiter. I've got a 5 speed so can't try this, but I'd imagine you could set off in a cvt in D, at full throttle and see the revs staying at a fairly constant high level, and then at some point the revs fall significantly as the transmissions goes to second. If my theory is correct, that would be around 45mph.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 46.0 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mpaton View Post
    This sounds to me like a failure of the transmission to shift into its second gear. As well as the cvt, there are 2 fixed mechanical ratios. 45mph sounds like close to reasonable for being the speed in mechanical first with the cvt in its highest ratio and for some reason not upshifting the mechanical epicyclic gearset. The lack of acceleration would be the ecu closing the throttle avoid hitting the rev limiter. I've got a 5 speed so can't try this, but I'd imagine you could set off in a cvt in D, at full throttle and see the revs staying at a fairly constant high level, and then at some point the revs fall significantly as the transmissions goes to second. If my theory is correct, that would be around 45mph.
    70mph in “B” is about 4500 rpm. You could go faster than that I suppose but that’s as fast as I’ve gone in low gear.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    70mph in “B” is about 4500 rpm. You could go faster than that I suppose but that’s as fast as I’ve gone in low gear.
    AFAIK, B mode doesn't lock you into the first mechanical (non-cvt) ratio, it just enables engine braking and does stuff to shift points. Possibly if I read the maintenance manual I'd learn more, but I haven't done that.

If you accelerate at WOT do you observe little RPM change while speed increases (indicating cvt operation) followed by a single step change in RPM downwards, indicating a shift in the epicyclic gearset?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 46.0 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mpaton View Post
    AFAIK, B mode doesn't lock you into the first mechanical (non-cvt) ratio, it just enables engine braking and does stuff to shift points. Possibly if I read the maintenance manual I'd learn more, but I haven't done that.

If you accelerate at WOT do you observe little RPM change while speed increases (indicating cvt operation) followed by a single step change in RPM downwards, indicating a shift in the epicyclic gearset?
    The Jatco CVT in the Mirage is a two speed CVT. “B” is the lower gear range. When you start from a stop the transmission is in “B” and upshifts into “D” about 10 mph under normal throttle operation. Accelerating in “B” at WOT the rpm’s stay the same as you accelerate. “B” has it’s own set of drive ratios separate from “D”.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    The Jatco CVT in the Mirage is a two speed CVT. “B” is the lower gear range. When you start from a stop the transmission is in “B” and upshifts into “D” about 10 mph under normal throttle operation. Accelerating in “B” at WOT the rpm’s stay the same as you accelerate. “B” has it’s own set of drive ratios separate from “D”.
    I knew it had 2 non-cvt ratios, but was not aware that selecting B limited the transmission to the lower one. So mow I'm not sure if the OP's problem is a failure to shift from the lower gear to the higher. It still could be I suppose; Assuming he used moderate throttle in D, the transmission might well get to the point of wanting to upshift to the higher ratio, and the system might be programmed to then react as he described if the transmission failed to shift to the higher gear.

Anyway, apparently the OP's problem has gone away (it didn't sound like it was really "fixed"), so this is just an interesting intelectual exercise. But I'll go and read my manual.

If "B" locks it in first, then what does the other position do on the 17'+'s.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If "B" locks it in first, then what does the other position do on the 17'+'s.
    My understanding is that the "Ds" mode downshifts with less throttle input and holds upshifts until higher rpm's.