Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Dying at 48k miles?? (Update: not dying. Electrical prob, tail lights)

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Transmission Dying at 48k miles?? (Update: not dying. Electrical prob, tail lights)

Went on vacation for a couple weeks and have come back to my little mirage not able to go above 40-45 mph... at those speeds suddenly the acceleration stops until it drops back down and then it値l accelerate again. Everything I知 reading points to a bad gear in the transmission.. any ideas? gonna try and get it in to be looked at tomorrow - bright side is that I知 still under warranty.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 02-15-2019 at 06:58 PM. Reason: (added info to title)

I assume there's no check engine light on. It's probably due for a cvt fluid change. How's the fluid look, black or light goldish green?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    No check engine light.. fluid is a brownish color I guess. Not black but also not the lightest.
    Maybe I should change this before taking it to the dealer? I know they’ll charge me a fortune to change it

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    No check engine light.. fluid is a brownish color I guess. Not black but also not the lightest.
    Maybe I should change this before taking it to the dealer? I know they値l charge me a fortune to change it
    Given you are having a problem, I would let the dealer change your fluid for you. If changing the fluid doesn't correct the problem, it's on them. If the problem goes away & it returns later on, it's still on them. It will be harder for them to not honor your warranty if they are servicing your transmission.

Just for that peace of mind, I would use the dealership in this case. Paying them for a fluid change is much cheaper than being stuck buying a new CVT transmission later on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (02-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hi neighbor! Mark has good advice; it's under warranty and there's a problem. Working on it yourself or bringing it to a third party will only give the dealer someone to blame and an excuse to void the warranty.

What's the engine doing when you lose acceleration? Is it revving like crazy or bogging down?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Interesting set of symptoms. I wonder if a bad sensor might cause this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Given you are having a problem, I would let the dealer change your fluid for you.
    Absolutely. If you have a consistent CVT problem that the dealer will easily be able to replicate, then just take it in and let them figure it out. Dealership service departments generally don't disassemble these units to fix them. They will try simple things (fluid changes, etc.) to resolve the issue. But if that doesn't work, then they'll just put a new CVT in it. Not a bad deal for you and it won't cost you a dime.

Keep us posted.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

What they said. Mitsu dealers won't attempt to repair anything, they just replace parts. I'd expect a new cvt if it's acting up and a fluid change(and filter/s) doesn't "fix it". Hopefully your dealer is more competent and helpful than ours lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Thanks all for the advice. I’m at the dealership now waiting for the verdict.. they said they’ve never seen anything like this before but they know that the computer needs an update and they’re looking at some other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    What's the engine doing when you lose acceleration? Is it revving like crazy or bogging down?
    When the acceleration goes, RPMs drop completely - no matter how hard the times pedal is pushed. Stays like that until the speed drops and then repeats

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Well that wasn’t as expected... They checked for codes on the computer and just got the one for my tail lights (expected). Updated the ECU because it had a recall and sold me some trans fluid because they wanted $400 to change it - no thanks. They did mention that the fluid in the trans is not OEM so might be causing problems.
    Drove her home and didn’t have a single issue, got up to 80mph and not a problem so looking like it was an issue caused by the cars computer. Due for trans fluid change anyway and would feel better having the Mitsu fluids in there so gonna change that over the weekend.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooter For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-13-2019)