Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Water pump/idler pulley issues

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why do you say "I would NEVER buy used parts"? Your statement is not logical. I mean if you can get a part that costs 1500 new for 100$. Well ACTUALLY you said it would be 1500 for the new part INCLUDING LABOUR for 1500.

Maybe you are dealing with an over-priced mechanic. Get a second opinion from somebody else. Its not like your car is broken down and in need of a tow truck. But I think you have a "wasteful" sort of attitude and a lack of patience. No offense but that is my experience of you.

I think your best bet is to get second and maybe a 3rd opinion from different mechanics. Dont be foolish and "give the car away" to some other dude that will get it fixed for 300 bucks.

And forget about tax deductions. That is fool's gold

Last edited by fc321; 02-15-2019 at 03:17 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-15-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by gone2 View Post
    I never use, used parts and for what the car is worth its easier to just buy something else. The a/c was always on but i hit a tarp at midnight back in august, it pushed the metal back into the low side line which punctured it two weeks ago.
    I missed this post. There are some things I'd never buy used, it's just not worth it. Like brake pads, spark plugs and stupid stuff like that. Even used fuel pumps that have been sitting on the shelf for a while don't seem be a great bargain in the long run. Most of these cars that are wrecked are new enough and have low miles to really be concerned about having a problem anymore than buying a new one. Especially when oem used in some cases is better quality than new aftermarket.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    $1,500 is an insane lowball offer for a 4-year-old car with 117,000 miles. Whoever offered you that amount thinks you're an idiot. KBB values your car at $5000 in "fair" (read: bad) condition.

If you're at all interested in saving money and can't/don't want to fix it yourself, get it fixed at a different shop (not the dealer). If you're just eager to get a different car, put it on Craigslist as-is for $3,500 and you'll be swarmed by people who know how to fix it for cheap waving cash in your face.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I will add, in his defense, that used parts don't make much sense if you're paying someone else to install them. If it doesn't work out, all that money for labor goes down the drain. Not everyone has the tools, time, and space to fix things themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    I will add, in his defense, that used parts don't make much sense if you're paying someone else to install them. If it doesn't work out, all that money for labor goes down the drain. Not everyone has the tools, time, and space to fix things themselves.
    Depends what it is. The wrecker I worked at installed everything they sold. If something didn't work or failed withing 3 months we'd fix it. If another shop installed the parts they'd still cover labour in most cases. Best bet if you don't know how to turn a wrench is to find a shop that can locate used parts for you and make sure if they're junk (which is unlikely) that you won't be stuck paying labour twice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    Yes thats true but if you can get the used parts for 80% less than new and get mechanics labor from and indy mechanic at 80$ per hour than you would be able to get it fixed 4 different times for less than $1500. It is a very unlikely scenario that it would take 4 repairs but that is my point. That the REWARD of the used parts outweighs the risk.

Part of my philosophy of life is "Do your best". That means give your BEST effort to solve a problem. And the people that drive a used car to the dealership and trade it in for a new one are not giving their BEST effort. They are giving zero effort. Life does not reward the lazy.

Sometimes donating or junkyard-scrapping a car is the best option, YES. But that should always be a last resort after all other options have been exhausted. Such a decision would require a comprehensive cost analysis.

Bottom line: OP can either put in the leg work and get a 2nd and 3rd opinion or he can be lazy and absorb the consequences of a large financial loss. Life is all about decisions.

The decisions we make determine the quality of our life. And they determine our future. Choose wisely.
    Last edited by fc321; 02-15-2019 at 03:52 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Aaaaa
    Last edited by gone2; 02-15-2019 at 06:39 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gone2 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Im not sure I comprehend your reasoning to never put "used parts on any car". I mean your 107,000 mile car has all used parts at the moment. Does it not?

I invite you to re-examine this belief system. People that wont buy something that is "used". Who cares if its used as long as it works?

Every time we eat at restaurant we are sticking a fork in our mouth that has been in over 100 people's mouths.

You cant escape used. This entire world is used.

That being said I empathize with your situation. I mean if you want to go car-less that is a different story. You may consider to buy a motorcycle or scooter. Where I live in Florida there is no insurance requirement on them.

But even if you want to be charitable (and I commend and respect you if you are generous enough to do so), I would do the leg work to get the car fixed for under $300.

I apologize if I misunderstood your posts. But we have several issues here such as "Your desire to get rid of car to save on insurance and operational expenses" that are being co-mingled with the unfortunate event that happened when your car started making these noises and "I have been quoted $1500 as lowest bid from 4 different shops". These are 2 separate events, however.

And I think you should deal with them separately. I guess I dont really know your neighborhood (area) and maybe the prices are higher than what i have in Miami, FL

But take a deep breath, re-center yourself and maybe take a day or 2 to not think about this situation and then perhaps you can go to 1 or 2 more mechanics. Because those quoted prices are sky-high.

Also remember to be humble and kind when speaking to a mechanic. We want to avoid acting desperate "OMG, I had to call in sick today and need this fixed today" as well as the other extreme where we appear to only be price-shopping "Hello there, Shop down the block just quoted me $1500 to replace this part, how much can you do it for?" Because the local shops engage in a sort of >price collusion< so that if you quote another shops price early on in the conversation they will just work off of that.

You are better off just to act like a calm and friendly person getting an estimate. Just be nice, shake the mechanics hand. Dont complain about long wait times, dont be rude to the secretary. Be humble, be thankful and treat the mechanic like he did you a huge favor just to speak with you.

I said all that because maybe psychologically you may be getting higher quotes if the mechanics "dont like you".

I hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by fc321; 02-15-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Aaaaa
    Last edited by gone2; 02-15-2019 at 06:39 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gone2 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-15-2019)

I wish I could afford to buy new everything!
    I'd never buy a used house, that's just stupid. Someone could have had a grow opp or a hooker farm in the basement.
    I'll never buy a used camper, maybe it was camped in too much.
    And vehicles, well who in their right mind would ever buy a used one, that's just silly! What if someone actually drove it on the road, and caused some wear on everything and only changed the oil 3 times instead of 4 as recommended by the maintenance schedule but they said they did but lost the receipts. Or maybe they just sat in the driveway and idled it?
    Wonder if steve will chime in? lol