Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter tires on a Mirage G4 - what are you using?

Country
    Austria
    Thanks
    My car is registerd with 185/55R15. So i bought some Semperit Speed Grip 2 Tyres last year for my stock 5,5x15 rims.

They are good enough for wet and salty roads. Light Snow is also ok.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Interceptor For This Useful Post:

jtr990 (12-03-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I picked up a set of Pirelli winter something or others, on fairly clean rims for $100. It's late and I'm kinda tired hence the less than useful info. They are like new, lots of tread, still have the little whisker things. Tomorrow I'll have a closer look and update this mess.

It looks like the Pirellis will go on my '17 and my Wal-mart specials (to be fair, they've performed really well, beyond my expectations) will go on my '14. Because I spent a good part of this year unconscious in the ICU the winters never came off my '17.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

jtr990 (12-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    i just had my studded (for the drivers pleasure) nokian nordman 7's installed. first impression of dry pavement driving is not much of a noticeable difference but the noise is, in polite terms, very noticable.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benwerks For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-19-2019),Fummins (11-20-2019),jtr990 (12-03-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I picked up a set of Pirelli winter something or others, on fairly clean rims for $100. It's late and I'm kinda tired hence the less than useful info. They are like new, lots of tread, still have the little whisker things. Tomorrow I'll have a closer look and update this mess.

It looks like the Pirellis will go on my '17 and my Wal-mart specials (to be fair, they've performed really well, beyond my expectations) will go on my '14. Because I spent a good part of this year unconscious in the ICU the winters never came off my '17.
    well, life is nothing if not dynamic. My Walmart Weathermaxxes are made by Nexen, a reputable company, and they perform well so they will stay on my 2017. The Pirelli's above were sold, they were 185 which I felt was too wide so they were replaced with nearly new (4516 date code) _ _ _ _ _ in 175R65/14 size which are only 2.7% taller than my Enasaves. (I forget what brand they are, doh.)

So now both my Mirages have 175R65/14 winter tires.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

jtr990 (12-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I had a set of 4 165/65/R14 Hakkapeliitta Nordman 7 studded snow tires installed on my 2018 Mirage G4 ES and I can say without a doubt that this is the best grip I have ever gotten from any snow tire on any car I've ever driven. I toughed it out with a set of all seasons last winter but never really felt stable or safe on the highway if there was any accumulation, plus I had a few close calls. The Nordman tires are a little noisy due to the studs, but I am absolutely amazed at the performance I got out of them in Pennsylvania's first snowfall of the season. I am often a fast, assertive driver and there is barely any difference from driving in light snow vs. rain with these tires. Braking and cornering are easy, and I feel safer on the highway than the big trucks and SUVs (I found that they get in my way, too slow for me!) I can't wait to see how they do in deeper snow! Tread depth is 13/32, which is 1/32-2/32 deeper than you will get on many other snow tires, so I expect these will also last a long time before becoming too worn.

If these tires seem like they can handle my driving style, they should be great for anyone else in a snowy, icy area. If ice storms are less of a concern for you than general snowstorms, you can get these non-studded for a little less noise.
    Last edited by squeekywheelgetsgrease; 12-02-2020 at 07:50 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to squeekywheelgetsgrease For This Useful Post:

jtr990 (12-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They're certainly not quiet, part of me wishes I had gotten them non-studded, but so far I'm in love with the grip. I have to increase my radio volume by 1 or 2 compared to the all seasons. Weirdly, I feel like they're quieter over 65 mph

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by squeekywheelgetsgrease View Post
    I had a set of 4 165/65/R14 Hakkapeliitta Nordman 7 studded snow tires installed on my 2018 Mirage G4 ES and I can say without a doubt that this is the best grip I have ever gotten from any snow tire on any car I've ever driven. I toughed it out with a set of all seasons last winter but never really felt stable or safe on the highway if there was any accumulation, plus I had a few close calls. The Nordman tires are a little noisy due to the studs, but I am absolutely amazed at the performance I got out of them in Pennsylvania's first snowfall of the season. I am often a fast, assertive driver and there is barely any difference from driving in light snow vs. rain with these tires. Braking and cornering are easy, and I feel safer on the highway than the big trucks and SUVs (I found that they get in my way, too slow for me!) I can't wait to see how they do in deeper snow! Tread depth is 13/32, which is 1/32-2/32 deeper than you will get on many other snow tires, so I expect these will also last a long time before becoming too worn.

If these tires seem like they can handle my driving style, they should be great for anyone else in a snowy, icy area. If ice storms are less of a concern for you than general snowstorms, you can get these non-studded for a little less noise.
    Good share! Studded tires are not legal in Wisconsin or neighboring states, but my Nokian Nordman 7 non-studded tires have been wearing extremely well. This will be their 4 winter.

"Metal studs are prohibited in 11 states: Alabama, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Texas, and Wisconsin." taken from -

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...20restrictions.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think Ohio bans studded tires as well. otherwise I'd pick that and I'd probably never get stuck
    Last edited by MirageRally; 12-03-2020 at 12:14 AM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    I think Ohio bans studded tires as well. otherwise I'd pick that and I'd probably never get stuck
    Ohio Regulations below -

5589.081 Studded tires - prohibited acts.
    (A) For purposes of this section, "studded tire" means any tire designed for use on a vehicle and equipped with metal studs or studs of wear-resisting material that project beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire; and "motor vehicle," "street or highway," "public safety vehicle," and "school bus" have the same meanings as given those terms in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code.

(B)

(1) Except as provided in division (B)(2) of this section, no person shall operate any motor vehicle, other than a public safety vehicle or school bus, that is equipped with studded tires on any street or highway in this state, except during the period extending from the first day of November of each year through the fifteenth day of April of the succeeding year.

(2) A person may operate a motor vehicle that is equipped with retractable studded tires with the studs retracted at any time of the year, but shall operate the motor vehicle with the studs extended only as provided in division (B)(1) of this section.

(C) This section does not apply to the use of tire chains when there is snow or ice on the streets or highways where such chains are being used, or the immediate vicinity thereof.

Effective Date: 03-12-1975; 2008 SB44 08-22-2008

Studded tires are legal from November 1st to April 15th in Ohio.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

jtr990 (12-03-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Ohio Regulations below -

5589.081 Studded tires - prohibited acts.
    (A) For purposes of this section, "studded tire" means any tire designed for use on a vehicle and equipped with metal studs or studs of wear-resisting material that project beyond the tread of the traction surface of the tire; and "motor vehicle," "street or highway," "public safety vehicle," and "school bus" have the same meanings as given those terms in section 4511.01 of the Revised Code.

(B)

(1) Except as provided in division (B)(2) of this section, no person shall operate any motor vehicle, other than a public safety vehicle or school bus, that is equipped with studded tires on any street or highway in this state, except during the period extending from the first day of November of each year through the fifteenth day of April of the succeeding year.

(2) A person may operate a motor vehicle that is equipped with retractable studded tires with the studs retracted at any time of the year, but shall operate the motor vehicle with the studs extended only as provided in division (B)(1) of this section.

(C) This section does not apply to the use of tire chains when there is snow or ice on the streets or highways where such chains are being used, or the immediate vicinity thereof.

Effective Date: 03-12-1975; 2008 SB44 08-22-2008

Studded tires are legal from November 1st to April 15th in Ohio.
    I remembered back in my old workplace location (200 St & Fraser Hwy, Langley City, BC), which is now a used car dealer, we used to stud tires at the customer's request. We have a pneumatic stud gun and a huge assortment of studs. Nowadays, I see an increased amount of studless winter tires and a decline on studs. I still work at the old workplace, but we're located in the Cloverdale area of Surrey. On a different note, I haven't seen any US-market Mirages yet due to the COVID-19 lockdown, so I couldn't use the shop's Autel TS508 to test it out. Though I do have the same tool at home. Given the fact I did a TPMS relearn on the Mirage's larger brother, the RVR.

In any case, stay safe, everybody.