Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suzuki SX4

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I think the Jimny was sold in North America at some point, possibly the 90s generation of the truck. Unique and useful that is for sure
    I am not the only person interested in a vehicle like this. Quoting another source -

Bloggers and websites like gearjunkie.com have been monitoring the launch of the new Jimny across Europe. Gearjunkie columnist Bryon Dorr likes what he sees.

“Suzuki just announced the 2019 Jimny and we want it. Sadly, though, Suzuki is just going to tease us. It doesn’t need us. The brand has sold the Jimny in 194 countries and regions since 1970. It has sold more than 2.85 million so far, and not one was sold new in the U.S.,” Dorr said.

“Suzuki, we want the Jimny,” Dorr said.

Suzuki says it has no plans at the moment to sell the Jimny in the U.S., despite the clamor and online pleading.

But could Suzuki change its mind? Some analysts think a strong case can be made.

“I saw the Jimny in Europe and thought it was well executed. The problem is that Suzuki is no longer competing in the U.S. market and is missing out on a great opportunity,” said Kelley Blue Book analyst Matt DeLorenzo.

entire article -

https://www.forbes.com/sites/neilwin.../#46d3b77a1949

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Manuals are becoming a generational gap thing, and also a free security system if nobody can drive one
    It is a generational thing. My dad taught me how to let out a clutch slowly (on a tractor) when I was in 3rd grade. My grandpa sent me to town once during an emergency situation when I was 12. Later that day he asked me if I had my driver's license. It was then that I reminded him I was only 12 years old. I hopped in a old International pickup with a 4 speed on the floor and got help that day. No one questioned anything! Times have changed!

When a new model of anything comes out, I check if it comes in a manual. If not, I am done looking any further. I am not the norm I guess. Someone has to make up the 2%!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-24-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It is a generational thing. My dad taught me how to let out a clutch slowly (on a tractor)
    Nice my first car was a 1985 VW Rabbit manual, so I learned on a car with a much heavier clutch than the light one on my current 2014 Mirage. I know in Europe and even Quebec, Canada where it's French culture manuals, and subcompact hatchbacks, are more popular. Years ago driving in Quebec way more cars way more likely to be manuals. Rest of Canada is the same as the U.S. I think basically

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think the Jimny was sold in North America at some point, possibly the 90s generation of the truck. Unique and useful that is for sure
    You may be thinking of the Suzuki Sidekick, also know as the Escudo/Vitara/Geo Tracker/Chevy Tracker. That was a bigger vehicle.

The Jimny was sold here in the '80's as the Suzuki Samurai. Judging by the number that are still around, they sold pretty well. Sales took a hit when Consumer Reports wrote that it was unsafe and prone to rollovers. Suzuki later sued them for libel.

Three decades after they stopped selling them, they're still extremely popular in Arizona for bombing around the desert. They're tiny and agile, using the same 1.3L 4-cylinder motor that was later used in the Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift sedan. My uncle in Wickenburg had one for a while, sold it, regretted it, then bought another.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-24-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    You may be thinking of the Suzuki Sidekick, also know as the Escudo/Vitara/Geo Tracker/Chevy Tracker. That was a bigger vehicle.

The Jimny was sold here in the '80's as the Suzuki Samurai.
    Cool, so the Suzuki Samurai. I believe I have seen a few near me in Ontario not sure if they are just an import or even a right-hand drive import. You see these sorts of small Japanese trucks as Canada Post mail postal delivery vehicles, I guess they are rugged all-weather vehicles.

I heard the rollover thing with the Geo Tracker back in 80s, and I think that was the Suzuki/Geo they made at a plant near me, that GM still makes the Equinox to this day. That plant almost closed the other year ago, but then didn't. So GM isn't closing every plant

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, the Sidekick/Tracker was built alongside the Geo Metro near you, at CAMI, a joint venture between Suzuki and GM. GM also had a joint venture with Toyota called NUMMI in California, where the Geo Prism was made. NUMMI is now the Tesla Factory, and like you said, CAMI still makes SUV's, but is wholly owned by GM Canada now.

The Jimny/Samurai has never been built in North America. All the ones we have were imported from Japan.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, the Sidekick/Tracker was built alongside the Geo Metro near you, at CAMI, a joint venture between Suzuki and GM. GM also had a joint venture with Toyota called NUMMI in California, where the Geo Prism was made. NUMMI is now the Tesla Factory, and like you said, CAMI still makes SUV's, but is wholly owned by GM Canada now.

The Jimny/Samurai has never been built in North America. All the ones we have were imported from Japan.
    They say history repeats itself. Not sure that will happen here or not?

In my opinion, the Samurai/Sidekick/Tracker vehicles were pushed out of the U.S. market by the development of the 1st generation Forester, CRV, & RAV4. Ironically, those three vehicles have evolved into vehicles that I am no longer interested in as much. I would embrace a fun little 4WD vehicle with a manual transmission in the future to compliment my Mirage (not replace it). The Jeep Renegade (Fiat) may be the only competition for a small SUV like this, & don't see myself going that direction at all.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    at CAMI, a joint venture between Suzuki and GM. GM also had a joint venture with Toyota called NUMMI in California, where the Geo Prism was made. NUMMI is now the Tesla Factory
    The Cami plant is huge in real life, I can't think of another bigger building within 500 kms of me, maybe COBO hall in Detroit where the auto show is every year.

Maybe the Toyota manufacturing plant a few miles down the 401 but I haven't seen that one as well

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The current generation Jimny is just a fantastic looking vehicle. However, it probably wouldn't sell since we have the over priced Jeep Wrangler here in North America. I remember my new end-of-year 2014 Wrangler Sport was discounted like crazy, down to $23,500 CAD with A/C and a 6-speed manual and side steps. Those prices are long gone.
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by craigq View Post
    The current generation Jimny is just a fantastic looking vehicle. However, it probably wouldn't sell since we have the over priced Jeep Wrangler here in North America. I remember my new end-of-year 2014 Wrangler Sport was discounted like crazy, down to $23,500 CAD with A/C and a 6-speed manual and side steps. Those prices are long gone.
    Converting the UK price of the base Jimny to U.S. dollars, & it would be about $20,000. I think these vehicle would sell in the U.S. for that price or under. They would be way more popular than the current new Eclipse Cross offered in the U.S. I am confident of that!

No current new AWD/4WD vehicles offered in the U.S. interest me at the moment. The only manual 4WD offerings are the Jeep Wrangler, Compass, & Renegade. An alternative to those two vehicles would interest me, & I feel there are plenty of guys like me. Our kids are grown, don't really need 4 doors, & just want something tough & rugged without breaking the bank.