Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test drive review (Update: bought one!)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Test drive review (Update: bought one!)

Took a 2018 for a spin as I am car shopping went in expecting the worst

Positives-
    Comfy ride
    Features for this segment/price ac/heat auto with auto trans auto everything actually hatchback I think its cute and has some fun colors available acceleration can be adequate for city and flat highway needs hills seem more challenging

Negative-body roll is bad wind noise is bad

Last edited by MetroMPG; 02-19-2019 at 08:11 PM. Reason: (Added to title)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jdollatari For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-18-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdollatari View Post
    Took a 2018 for a spin as I am car shopping went in expecting the worst

Positives-
    Comfy ride
    Features for this segment/price ac/heat auto with auto trans auto everything actually hatchback I think its cute and has some fun colors available acceleration can be adequate for city and flat highway needs hills seem more challenging

Hello jdollatari and welcome to the forum. I think your review nicely sums up this car. Personally, I don't think the body roll is all that bad, mostly because I've had cars that were plenty worse.

Tell us more about how you wound up here, and if there's anything you need help with.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Also note there is a fix for reducing body roll: aftermarket rear sway/stabilizer bar that is easy to install.

Welcome to the forum! Hope you will keep us in the loop on what you decide to do.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Adding a rear sway bar improves the driving dynamics of this car. A item most anyone can add with only 4 bolts.

Turning up the radio drowns out the wind noise.

The Mirage is affordable, reliable (with excellent warranty), & very economical. It may not be the car for everyone, but I like mine!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Adding a rear sway bar improves the driving dynamics of this car. A item most anyone can add with only 4 bolts.

Turning up the radio drowns out the wind noise.

The Mirage is affordable, reliable (with excellent warranty), & very economical. It may not be the car for everyone, but I like mine!
    Yeah I plan on a sway bar and maybe an armrest agree radio drowns out road noise fine. I am currently driving a wore out 90s c class mercedes while the wife gets to hog the brand new prius prime for her commute (we otherwise share it) so the mirage will just be for my commute and running about now and then while shes at work

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    hills seem more challenging

I was driving my 2014 Mirage up some steep hills back roads the other day. Out of town and the roads there, I didn't realize they would be so hilly, only a road map paper map.

Steepest in 5 years driving the car, so my advice is I would go with a manual transmission if you go w a Mirage. Manual makes it easier in some ways. Counter intuitive but once you get used to it, you control the power and traction better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, I'm curious which transmission you're considering, jdollatari. And why.

the wife gets to hog the brand new prius prime for her commute
    Oooo! Fun!

I had the chance to spend a full week driving a friend's borrowed Prius Prime a few months ago. What an interesting car! (Plug-in hybrid, for those who may not know. It has an EPA rated 25 mile / 40 km electric range, and then it reverts to working as a normal Prius hybrid, running on gasoline.

It was fun trying to stretch the electric range as far as possible. I got it up to 63 km / 39 miles in mild weather that didn't require heat/AC. That's around town driving, just using basic eco-driving techniques.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Yeah, I'm curious which transmission you're considering, jdollatari. And why.

Oooo! Fun!

I had the chance to spend a full week driving a friend's borrowed Prius Prime a few months ago. What an interesting car! (Plug-in hybrid, for those who may not know. It has an EPA rated 25 mile / 40 km electric range, and then it reverts to working as a normal Prius hybrid, running on gasoline.

It was fun trying to stretch the electric range as far as possible. I got it up to 63 km / 39 miles in mild weather that didn't require heat/AC. That's around town driving, just using basic eco-driving techniques.
    nice. Yeah and the electric torque makes it zippy!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by midgeinc View Post
    The CVT really needs 2 low gears imho. Heading up the mountains here to mae-sot is a pain in the arse. Always have to shift between low gear and Drive. I take the the stick shift MGGT 5-T for those trips. Darn it eats fuel.
    I did it! Got a white es 2018 with CVT love the sport mode on the trans for passing and getting on freeway and use low gear to decelerate off the freeway. Guessing sport mode is best for hills/mountains to. Wind noise the radio helps with but the body roll is a bummer just worried about a sway bar hurting my warranty...

New thread:
    hello new owner/member!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jdollatari For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I did it! Got a white es 2018 with CVT love the sport mode on the trans for passing and getting on freeway and use low gear to decelerate off the freeway. Guessing sport mode is best for hills/mountains to. Wind noise the radio helps with but the body roll is a bummer just worried about a sway bar hurting my warranty...
    Swaybar will not void your warranty. Get Daox’s rear sway bar, makes the car much much better to drive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)