Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic Coating our Mirage this week!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Ceramic Coating our Mirage this week!

This week parts have finally arrived to begin making our Mirage "ours"

First thing on the list is a ceramic coat. I had a vendor supply my coating for a very good price, and will be applying the coating this week.

For a coating to be worth the effort (and money) the paint needs to be in pristine condition. I requested the dealer not to wash or do anything to the car.

I'm going to debadge it first.
    A decontamination process follows.
    Then a one step polish to remove any further blemishes.
    Lastly apply the coating.

There's a day long process to coating as well, if done right.

After the coating it's on to install ceramic tint that I just had pre cut so there are no fit and finish issues.

I'll post pictures along the way as we ceramic coat it!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erik1109 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-17-2019),Daox (02-17-2019),inuvik (02-17-2019),midgeinc (02-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Very cool.

For those that don't know, what are all the benefits of ceramic coating?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Benefits depend on the product installed. I am using a self healing ceramic coating.

The best benefit of it is the hydrophobic properties, i.e. anything liquid rolls right off. They also are great for protection against anything acidic eating into your paint and etching it. Both of these properties make washing a breeze, often brought back to a high gloss with a simple pressure washing, and occasionally a clay bar to deep clean it.

Ceramic coatings add a depth of shine, as it is in theory a secondary clear coat.

The self healing ceramic is unique in that if scratched lightly the coating will re flow and fill in the scratches

It adds a small amount of rock chip resistance.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erik1109 For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-17-2019),midgeinc (02-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midgeinc View Post
    It lasted about 3 years.
    Only three years?

Are there any links to products of this stuff?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Only three years?

Are there any links to products of this stuff?

Longevity depends on upkeep, products applied and storage/ use conditions.

https://ceramicpro.com/ is one of the best coatings on the market.

https://www.feynlab.com/ is what I am applying. I do coatings and restoration work quite a bit in my line of work.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Erik1109 For This Useful Post:

midgeinc (02-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, what is this - similar to a wax coating? Does it provide any +1 protection against salt or some such?

This is the first time I've heard of a 'ceramic coating' for cars. This is all new to me.

The term 'ceramic' made me think it was baked on or something.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik1109 View Post
    https://ceramicpro.com/ is one of the best coatings on the market.

https://www.feynlab.com/ is what I am applying. I do coatings and restoration work quite a bit in my line of work.
    Wow. I get tired of animated front pages to websites. It's distracting and pretentious.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    So, what is this - similar to a wax coating? Does it provide any +1 protection against salt or some such?

This is the first time I've heard of a 'ceramic coating' for cars. This is all new to me.

The term 'ceramic' made me think it was baked on or something.
    It is similar to a wax in the way it adds a depth of shine, outside of that the similarity ends. A ceramic coating is a semi permanent clear coat of sorts. It beads water like a quality wax would, but the dirt rolls off with the beaded water, unlike a wax which embeds particles (think rolling a candle across the floor, it grabs all the dirt and physical cleaning is needed to remove it)

Ceramic coatings are actually baked on in a way. I cure it with an IR lamp set up, and you actually have to level the coating before it cures or you will forever be trapped with application lines in the coating.

It does provide better protection than any applied chemical. Salt, mud, bugs, tar, etc really dont create a permanent bond to the surface of your car anymore with one applied. Often on higher end cars I install PPF (paint protection film) then coat over the top of that with ceramic, giving a customer the truly ultimate in paint protection.

Think of it as permanent rain-x applied to your entire vehicle.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Erik1109 For This Useful Post:

midgeinc (02-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It is similar to a wax in the way it adds a depth of shine, outside of that the similarity ends. A ceramic coating is a semi permanent clear coat of sorts. It beads water like a quality wax would, but the dirt rolls off with the beaded water, unlike a wax which embeds particles (think rolling a candle across the floor, it grabs all the dirt and physical cleaning is needed to remove it)

Ceramic coatings are actually baked on in a way. I cure it with an IR lamp set up, and you actually have to level the coating before it cures or you will forever be trapped with application lines in the coating.
    Can it be cured with a heat gun?

It does provide better protection than any applied chemical. Salt, mud, bugs, tar, etc really dont create a permanent bond to the surface of your car anymore with one applied. Often on higher end cars I install PPF (paint protection film) then coat over the top of that with ceramic, giving a customer the truly ultimate in paint protection.

Think of it as permanent rain-x applied to your entire vehicle.
    Interesting. Then can this replace the role of undercoating? From the websites I gather it is mostly cosmetic, being applied only to the surfaces normally visible. I would be very interested if this provides solid protection against corrosion, but I don't see that advertised anywhere - just the shininess.

Also interesting is Ceramicpro states their product is permanent.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Finally got around to coating it today. Lots of projects came before doing my own vehicle.

I ended up removing all badges from the rear, and I have to say it really cleaned up the appearance.

Pictures to come this evening once I am home and on Wifi.