Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mirage is EASY to work on!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

The Mirage is EASY to work on!

I've spent the past 3 days helping a friend replace the engine in a 2007 Honda Fit.

Pretty straightforward process if you know what you're doing. Not my first rodeo. In fact, I replaced the engine in my 2015 Mirage just a couple months ago.

And that's why I can tell you that THE MIRAGE IS EASY TO WORK ON!

I have more little cuts and scrapes on my hands from this stupid Honda! Don't get me wrong, it's not a horribly designed car... but, there are a handful of things that are just plain more difficult than they should be.

The only thing that really fought us on the Mirage was getting the axles out of the trans... of course THAT was super-easy on the Honda.

Anyway... rejoice. The Mirage is way easier to work on than a Honda Fit. There's just a LOT more space around the engine in the Mirage, and it's generally more thoughtfully designed for maintenance and repairs. I pity the fool who has to change an alternator or a starter on a Fit.

Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (02-19-2019),2of9 (02-22-2019),Cobrajet (02-18-2019),Daox (02-18-2019),MetroMPG (02-19-2019),Pryme (02-19-2019),Top_Fuel (02-18-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    The only thing that really fought us on the Mirage was getting the axles out of the trans... of course THAT was super-easy on the Honda.
    Any tips for pulling these out?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Big pry bar. Mine is about 3 feet long. That will usually do the trick, but sometimes those stupid circlips that hold them in place are stubborn! If they don't come out easily, sometimes two prybars on opposite sides (or as close as you can get) will help. Rotating the axle to a different position can help. And sometimes they're just plain difficult! We had one on the Festiva that the circlip somehow got wedged in the splines and we had to beat the hell out of the axle with a hammer to get it out. When it finally came out, the circlip was in three mangled pieces... and putting those puzzle pieces back together, it didn't make a whole. We ended up taking the transmission apart to find the missing piece to ensure that it wasn't floating around inside the trans!

On the Mirage, we did the two pry-bar trick... it was still a bit stubborn, but we eventually prevailed. Both sides were difficult.

On the Fit... I did it by myself. One prybar, first pull... easy.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-19-2019)

Using a proper sized pry bar is easiest. Especially a 4' one from below but I doubt you're using a hoist? Since your cvt is screwed, you could wedge a pickle fork's or chisels around the edges to work the axle out. I wouldn't do that on a good transmission cause you might crack the case.

On some vehicles I've had one axle that comes out and the other side stubborn. I was able to get a long small diameter rod and pop the axle out from the opposite side. It's got to be pretty small to fit around the center pin. I'm not sure if that'd work on a Mirage though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (02-23-2019)

I've spent the past 3 days helping a friend replace the engine in a 2007 Honda Fit.

Pretty straightforward process if you know what you're doing. Not my first rodeo. In fact, I replaced the engine in my 2015 Mirage just a couple months ago.

And that's why I can tell you that THE MIRAGE IS EASY TO WORK ON!

I have more little cuts and scrapes on my hands from this stupid Honda! Don't get me wrong, it's not a horribly designed car... but, there are a handful of things that are just plain more difficult than they should be.

Anyway... rejoice. The Mirage is way easier to work on than a Honda Fit. There's just a LOT more space around the engine in the Mirage, and it's generally more thoughtfully designed for maintenance and repairs. I pity the fool who has to change an alternator or a starter on a Fit.
    I agree! I'm working on an 18 Nissan right now. What a poorly engineered pos compared to the Mirage! The starter is in the front center of the engine behind hoses and wiring harnesses, to get to the torque converter bolt is a huge pain! Bellhousing bolts come from each side. I never know what size bolt will be next, they use 10,12,13,14,15,18,19. Haven't seen a 17 mm yet. The Mirage is simple, you need a 10,12,14,17,19,21 and you can replace almost anything. Plus whatever size the axle and rear drum nut are.....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

At least they're consistent: I'm pretty sure I once had to drop an axle to change the alternator on my old Accord ('89)!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    At least they're consistent: I'm pretty sure I once had to drop an axle to change the alternator on my old Accord ('89)!
    Yeah, there are a few cars like that. Why put the alternator down at the back like that? I've replaced a starter on a northstar caddilac that they had stuffed under the intake manifold. Turns out my armada is the same way but even worse to replace

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you guys think that a Honda Fit of the same year as Mirage is worth the extra premium price? I def considered the Honda Fit before buying mine but the price difference was SIGNIFICANT I think it was an extra $5000. So being that I got my Mirage for $9000 (because the Dealers were under duress at the time since the new generation Mirage had just come out and they wanted to clear out the 2015's)

So $9000 and I did not feel that it made economic sense to pay an extra $5000 (More than 50%) unless the Honda Fit was TWICE AS GOOD. I did not have alot of data to make a more thorough decision but I would find it hard to believe the Honda Fit is TWICE as good as the Mirage.

Dont get me wrong, I love Honda and I love Toyota. But we are coming to a point where their brand recognition is causing a premium in price that is perhaps not warranted. And neither brand has a good warranty when compared to Mitsubishi.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I haven't spent a lot of time with a Fit, but on the surface (and under the hood), I think it does seem like a nicer car (even if it's not easier to work on). Not as "cheap" feeling as the Mirage.

"Worth the premium?" That's a personal decision.

When I bought the Mirage, the Fit wasn't on the radar. I wanted the weight of the Mirage, and there was no other option.

Back when I was buying a used Yaris in 2009, I had to make the concious decision between the Fit and the Yaris. On paper, they are nearly identical. (again, the Fit might be slightly nicer with regard to interior materials and such) Same weight, same power, same basic layout and suspension design. The two big differences were the badge on the hood, and the $5,000 difference in price!

I opted to buy a Yaris rather than pay the $5,000 Honda tax.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

fc321 (02-23-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    I had considered buying a used Yaris, Fit, Rio5, Mazda2 for a number of years. Personally, I think they are all sound cars. The Honda Fit may be the best of the group, but I may be a little bias. My first car in college was a used 1978 Honda Civic Wagon. Thus, I have a soft spot for Honda. Overall, I have never been disappointed with any Honda products & that includes items as simple as the Honda engine on my log splitter.

Personally, I don't think the Mirage competes with any of these cars. When I began looking @ a 2017 Mirage, I quickly decided that I wasn't going to pay more than $10,000 for one. It's just not a car I would spend a lot of money on, & it's my opinion of the other cars that probably gives me that mindset.

A base level 2019 Honda Fit LX (manual) is about a $17,000 new. I don't expect a $10,000 Mirage ES (manual) to compete with a Fit, but some professional car reviewers really miss the most important points about all this.

The Mirage is much cheaper & more economical. It may even be as reliable. If not, it's warranty is much better. In all honesty, the Fit can't compete with the Mirage. The Fit is the loser. The Mirage is not the underdog in this respect.

The Honda Fit is a solid small car, & I don't blame people for buying them. Most Honda dealerships are well established with good reputations. Even though the Mirage has a great warranty, the lack of good dealerships takes away from that somewhat.

Thus, it's good to hear the Mirage is easy to work on. For those of us that may keep the car well beyond its warranty, knowing it is easy to service & work on is a big plus!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

fc321 (02-23-2019)