Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking hard at a new 2018 ES. Questions inside.(UPDATE: bought one!)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The light clutch is what I like about the manual transmission the most.
    Agreed - clutch effort makes it so easy to drive, there's really no excuse to get one even for mostly city driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrfixit View Post
    But they are telling me that the CVT gets better mileage.
    True in EPA testing. Not true in the real world.

As Eggman says, check our fuel log.

Stats:

1.2L Mirages
    CVT automatic only
    84 cars
    40.3 MPG (US)
    5-speed manual only
    90 cars
    44.3 MPG (US)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I must be getting old because I really think I'd like to get the CVT. I plan on having this car for at least the next 18 years, (Until retirement) so I'm sure as I get older the automatic will be nice.
    I've never been an HP or speed freak so I felt like the car had plenty of power for what it is, and I've been super surprised at all the features that the es comes with standard. My echo has manual locks, manual windows and no power steering. This es has all that plus power mirrors and a fancy radio.

I'm just stressing out over the idea of spending so much for a car and want to be sure I'm getting the right one at the right price.

Reading a bit though the various forums have lead me to believe that this is a reliable car with very few issues, but I guess I just still worry that the price is decent for that model.

I live in NC, if that helps with taxes. I don't know what the price is without the tax and tag as I didn't think it really mattered.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The CVT scores better on the EPA drive schedule simulations, that's all. It's turned out to be a different story in the real world, as others have pointed out. If you'd prefer an automatic for convenience, that's fine, but if cost is your motivator, a manual would be cheaper in every way. I bought a '19 a few weeks ago, and all automatics cost thousands more than the base stick-shift models.

Is cruise control important to you? It became standard in 2019. For 2018 models, you either have to pay up for a higher trim level, or buy and install a couple of switches and hack the car's computer with some Russian software.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    When I bought mine, I was kinda thinking the same as you. @ 54 years, this will probably be my last car & I got the CVT. The amount of failures are really few for the amount of them out there. You have the 10 year warranty on a new one. I asked myself, in 10 years will I just replace the car, or look into a wrecking yard CVT. Also I kinda like the 2000 rpm cruise @ 100KMH...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Random thoughts....

The average new car nowadays is nearly $38,000. Is a brand new car that gets 40 mpg, has most major options as standard, and will basically never break down objectively a good deal for $12,500 OTD this far into the 21st century?

YOU BET IT IS.

Now, is $12,500 OTD a good deal for last year's Mirage? Well, as has been mentioned, that depends on where you live. If you live in a high tax/high fee state, that could be an amazing price. If you live in a low tax/low fee state, that could be a good price. I am sure you have seen the MSRP on the window sticker. If you are paying 15-20% less than that (and it sounds like you are), I'd say you are being treated pretty fairly. The CVT is a $1,300 option by itself on the ES, so I'd say you are doing okay. That would make the base manual car everyone here is telling you to get around $11,000 OTD at the same dealership, theoretically. Bet you they'd give a slightly bigger discount on a manual car if you pushed them, as manuals tend to be slow sellers.

The Mirage is designed for three things: affordability, reliability, and economy. It does all three of these things very well...but not much else. It sounds like you are used to this type of car, and appreciate it, so it doesn't seem like you will suddenly realize a year from now that this car actually isn't a Corvette and start pouting here about how terrible it is and what a mistake it was buying it (which has happened before). I would caution you that resale value on any car like this is terrible, so don't buy this car if you aren't sure you are going to be able to afford it next month or next year. If you have to try to sell it or trade it in before it is 3-4 years old you will lose your shirt.

All this being said, I love mine, which was bought new and now has 113,000 miles. I am in my 40s, and like you the Mirage was my first new car purchase. I also hesitated about spending over three times as much as I normally spend on a used car, but in the end decided that "you only live once". Truth be told, after 40 years of living the clean, frugal life I figured I DESERVED a new car. If anything happens to my Mirage I will be at the dealership the next day buying another one. That really is the highest compliment anyone can give a new car.

My advice? Go for it.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 02-18-2019 at 05:58 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-18-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Opinions on the price and the car in general are welcome!
    I own a 2014 Mirage manual base model, bought it new early 2014. Good car mostly, I see myself driving it a while yet maybe get a beater on the side.

My recommendation or tip, I was going to say go with a manual tranny, but I read above I get it with the manual can muscle strain. The Mirage is small enough potholes can eat the Mirage whole lol. Keep that in mind. My buddy gave up his 5 speed Civic not long ago softball accident thing so I get it too with the automatic tranny reality.
    Last edited by dspace9; 02-18-2019 at 05:58 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Random thoughts....

All this being said, I love mine, which was bought new and now has 113,000 miles. I am in my 40s, and like you the Mirage was my first new car purchase. I also hesitated about spending over three times as much as I normally spend on a used car, but in the end decided that "you only live once". Truth be told, after 40 years of living the clean, frugal life I figured I DESERVED a new car. If anything happens to my Mirage I will be at the dealership the next day buying another one. That really is the highest compliment anyone can give a new car.

My advice? Go for it.
    Thanks! You sound just like me. I've be frugal my whole life and drove cheap well used cars my whole life. for some reason this car interests me. It's cheap, frugal and pretty cool looking too! I got a nice New job last year and it's the first time in my 45 years that having a nicer car would matter. Not really keeping up with the Jones, but maybe just to enjoy the years of hard work and saving that i have done.
    I do think that the price is pretty good for my state as all the other more local dealers couldn't, or wouldn't match the price. I guess I have to take a leap of faith that I'm doing the right thing by "Splurging" on such a nice car, but I really do want to have that new car experience once in my life. At this price I think I can finally afford to do so!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Thanks! You sound just like me. I've be frugal my whole life and drove cheap well used cars my whole life. for some reason this car interests me. It's cheap, frugal and pretty cool looking too! I got a nice New job last year and it's the first time in my 45 years that having a nicer car would matter. Not really keeping up with the Jones, but maybe just to enjoy the years of hard work and saving that i have done.
    I do think that the price is pretty good for my state as all the other more local dealers couldn't, or wouldn't match the price. I guess I have to take a leap of faith that I'm doing the right thing by "Splurging" on such a nice car, but I really do want to have that new car experience once in my life. At this price I think I can finally afford to do so!
    Lol, I can completely relate to the 'leap of faith' sentiment! "Okay, I want it and deserve it...but do I really NEED it? What if I get struck by lightning and can't make the payments? The payment is cheap, but six years is a LONG time to pay on a car!"

What I can say pretty definitively is that the car itself won't let you down. I know people who took that same leap of faith on a new VW and really, really regretted it. Reliability issues galore.

As far as buying a new car goes, the Mirage is about the safest bet you can make. But only you know if it is wise to bet on a new car at all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    We want pictures!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)