Thread: Bye-bye beige

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Bye-bye beige

Remember that color? It used to be everywhere. Yes, "used to be." Maybe you didn't notice that, in the past decade, it's all but disappeared.

Go out and try and find a beige car. Maybe you'll see a 10-year-old Buick here, a 15-year-old Camry there. Find any new ones? Looking at manufacturer's websites, a few cars still offer a grey with the slightest whiff of brown, or a brown so dark it's black in all but direct sunlight. Dealers don't stock them. Nobody buys them.

Medium grey or beige used to be the default for interiors. Black was a rarity. I went to a new car show the year before last. Hundreds of new cars on display. I could count on my fingers the number of cars with interiors which weren't black. I asked a few of the brand reps if there were any other choices available on some cars. Sometimes they said yes, but good luck finding one on the lot. Dealers don't stock them. Nobody buys them. And it still feels like I'm the only one who's noticed, the only one that would like something other than a black pit of despair.

When I bought my Mirage hatch, I was shocked to find a G4 sedan at the dealer with a brilliant light-colored interior. I thought it was beige at the time, but looking at pictures online, a better word might be "eggshell". Mitsubishi calls it "light grey." Still, it gave me some hope for the future of automotive interiors, because anything would be better than black, in my opinion. Even beige.

What do you all think? Should they bring back the beige, or are you glad it's gone?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    Remember that color? It used to be everywhere. Yes, "used to be." Maybe you didn't notice that, in the past decade, it's all but disappeared.

Go out and try and find a beige car. Maybe you'll see a 10-year-old Buick here, a 15-year-old Camry there. Find any new ones? Looking at manufacturer's websites, a few cars still offer a grey with the slightest whiff of brown, or a brown so dark it's black in all but direct sunlight. Dealers don't stock them. Nobody buys them.

Medium grey or beige used to be the default for interiors. Black was a rarity. I went to a new car show the year before last. Hundreds of new cars on display. I could count on my fingers the number of cars with interiors which weren't black. I asked a few of the brand reps if there were any other choices available on some cars. Sometimes they said yes, but good luck finding one on the lot. Dealers don't stock them. Nobody buys them. And it still feels like I'm the only one who's noticed, the only one that would like something other than a black pit of despair.

When I bought my Mirage hatch, I was shocked to find a G4 sedan at the dealer with a brilliant light-colored interior. I thought it was beige at the time, but looking at pictures online, a better word might be "eggshell". Mitsubishi calls it "light grey." Still, it gave me some hope for the future of automotive interiors, because anything would be better than black, in my opinion. Even beige.

What do you all think? Should they bring back the beige, or are you glad it's gone?
    I love beige/tan interiors...especially when the seats are leather. I do hate gray interiors because they always seem to look dirty.

I had a couple of MK1 Rabbits that were beige, and they weren't ashamed of it: colour code name was "Mexico Beige".

I'm not fond of it as a paint colour, but I do not like all-black interiors. Dark as caves! Claustrophobic and hot in the sum. I'd take beige (or "light grey") over that any day. I really like that light Mirage interior scheme.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)