Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RIP Toyota Prius C - cancelled

RIP Toyota Prius C - cancelled

Small cars continue to be chopped from automakers' line-ups...

Name:  2019%20Toyota%20Prius%20c%20(5).jpg
Views: 566
Size:  58.0 KB

Despite adding butch body cladding to try to confuse shoppers into thinking it's actually a hot SUV, sales of Toyota's entry level hybrid have tanked.

Toyota is killing off the Prius C

“You’re probably not going to see Prius C for long,” Toyota vice-president of marketing Ed Laukes confirmed to Motor 1.

“The Prius C has served its purpose well.”
    Source: https://driving.ca/toyota/prius-c/au...ff-the-prius-c

The Prius C and Mirage probably don't get cross-shopped a lot, but the disappearance of the subcompact car with the highest EPA rating can only be good for Mitsubishi's fuel-sipper.

U.S. Prius C Sales vs. Mirage Sales:

Year Prius C sales
    Mirage sales
    2012 35,753 -
    2013 41,979 2935
    2014 40,570 16,708
    2015 38,469 21,515
    2016 20,452 22,226
    2017 12,415 22,386
    2018 8399 24,316

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...oyota-prius-c/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-20-2019),Top_Fuel (02-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    You are probably right about these two cars not being compared to each other by potential new car buyers. The Prius C is not a bad car in my opinion, but it's somewhat expensive for those who may be truly interested in a small car like it.

Doing a 250 mile radius search on cars.com -
    The lowest priced new 2019 Prius C is $21,411 (175 miles from my home).
    The lowest priced new 2019 Mirage ES (CVT) is $10,595 (167 miles from my home).

The Prius is not a bad car, but you could buy two Mirages for the price of one Prius.

The closest used Prius C in the price range of what I paid for a new Mirage is a 2015 with 116,854 miles on it (176 miles from my home).

The Mirage is affordable, reliable, & economical. If the Mitsubishi had their act together (priced the Mirage more appropriately up front) & had a better network of dealerships, the Mirage would be even a bigger hit!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

craigq (02-22-2019),MetroMPG (02-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yikes, I never knew they added plastic cladding to it. Eww.

The Prius C never made much sense to me. It doesn't compare favorably to the regular Prius, which is clearly more upmarket, has a lot more room, actually gets better mileage, and only costs slightly more.

It's basically a Yaris hybrid (and is sold as such in Europe), and sales of both have tracked pretty closely in the U.S. It makes sense that, if they kill one, the other dies with it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    My buddy has one, and it is a nice enough little car. His is the 'C4', which means it has all the bells-and-whistles. Just for kicks I went to Toyota's website and tried to build the same car he has. Couldn't do it.

The top and bottom trims of the Prius C have been axed. Now all you can get is the 'L' and 'LE', which approximate the old 'C2' and 'C3' trims. I knew the car wasn't long for this world...

Pity. I kinda liked them. But if the ain't sellin', they ain't sellin'. Funny that Toyota would keep building the Yaris hatch for years with dismal sales numbers and axe the C only a couple years after sales really tanked?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Prius C and Yaris have a LOT in common so I figure if one goes the other will sadly follow. My buddy has a 2014 Prius C he bought new and it's been a fantastic car with zero issues.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Logically speaking you could get a bigger car for the same or a little more money. Might as well get an EV/Hybrid SUV instead.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I can't even count how many incredibly close calls I've had driving my two metros. If I had been driving something with a larger footprint pretty sure I would've been in some accidents by now. I'm sold on subcompacts, sad so few people see it.

Seeing so many cars like this when I was in Germany and France 6 years ago is what sparked my interest I think. Check it out 3 lug rims!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    I can't even count how many incredibly close calls I've had driving my two metros. If I had been driving something with a larger footprint pretty sure I would've been in some accidents by now. I'm sold on subcompacts, sad so few people see it.

Seeing so many cars like this when I was in Germany and France 6 years ago is what sparked my interest I think. Check it out 3 lug rims!
    I am holding out for one lug wheels ala R/C car style

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There's a lot of high end sports cars out there with one center lug wheels. It's a BIG lug, though!
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    My daughter & son-in-law live in Helsinki, Finland. When my son-in-law is tooling us around in his Fiat Punto, I soon realize why small cars are more popular there. I don't remember seeing a full size pickup during my stay, nor would I want to drive one down some of the city side streets where they live. Bigger is not better in all cases. Limited parking is also a huge factor.