Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Lighten up! New seat covers

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emki View Post
    Overall i'm pretty happy with the fit and finish of these covers!
    Glad you're happy with them. Those look sharp on your bright green car! And you're right, they do tie in nicely to the upper trim pieces and headliner.

Any thoughts on the install process? Difficult, or not too bad?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    I installed the Genuine Neoprene 2-tone Grey/Black from Dash Design (ordered through Rock Auto) today. I didn't think the process was that difficult. I felt watching the youtube.com clip below was more helpful than reading the directions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mQaupRzLAY

Name:  mail.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  42.9 KB

I've never purchased custom seat covers before. My first impression of them is very good. Since many cars come with side air bags, knowing these seat covers are designed with that in mind is sort of reassuring, too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I installed the Genuine Neoprene 2-tone Grey/Black from Dash Design (ordered through Rock Auto) today. I didn't think the process was that difficult. I felt watching the youtube.com clip below was more helpful than reading the directions.

I've never purchased custom seat covers before. My first impression of them is very good. Since many cars come with side air bags, knowing these seat covers are designed with that in mind is sort of reassuring, too.
    Looks good, Mark. What do you think about the Neoprene fabric?

I would be worried about spilling on and staining the lighter colored portion of the seat cover, but that's just me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...watching the youtube.com clip below was more helpful than reading the directions..
    Thanks for the link. I bought the same Neoprene covers (but not 2-tone) but haven't installed them yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Looks good, Mark. What do you think about the Neoprene fabric?

I would be worried about spilling on and staining the lighter colored portion of the seat cover, but that's just me.
    I prefer a grey interior over most other. The grey looks pretty light in contrast to the black, but I like adding some grey to a very dark drab interior.

The neoprene material seems ok. I'll have to see how it wears over time. Unlike the seat covers I've done in the past, these come in three pieces. You simply connect their elastic loops with the provided small s-hooks. I connected all of the loops to each other. I saw no need to hook to the seat itself.

I'd rather have a seat cover get stained. They are cheaper to replace or easier to wash than a seat. I am not going to bother buying the rear covers. I seldom have more than one passenger, & I fold down the rear seat a lot when hauling stuff.

I've used cheaper seat cover before, & that was to cover up a seat that was already looking bad. Years ago cheap vinyl would crack & look horrible. Today's car do have better seat upholstery, & I am not a big fan of leather. I hope to be happy with these!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Oooh, I like those covers...
    Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I really like the look of your seat covers! I think the light color helps offset the otherwise dark interior of the car.

I considered seat covers from this Dash Design (through RockAuto.com), but the number of choices sort of overwhelmed me.

I paid off my 2017 Mirage ES last week, & I may celebrate that by ordering some new seat covers!

Thanks for sharing your pics!!!!

You are welcome, and thanks for the compliment!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    Glad you're happy with them. Those look sharp on your bright green car! And you're right, they do tie in nicely to the upper trim pieces and headliner.

Thanks!

I don't think the installation was too bad. Like Mark, I ended up connecting a lot of the S-hooks to each other. The trickiest part was getting the seat cover elastic straps to slide between the plastic on the base of the seat and the foam/fabric on the front seats, especially on my driver's seat. My car has the height-adjustable seat, and I couldn't find a good place near the adjustment nob to insert two of the elastic straps.

But yeah, it probably took me 3 hours, and I REALLY took my time trying things out, centering things, taking a couple of beer breaks, etc.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mQaupRzLAY

Name:  mail.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  42.9 KB

Those look really good! I'd enjoy hearing what you think of them after living with them for a few weeks. I nearly purchased this exact set of neoprene seats myself, but started reading online about neoprene seats and"swamp butt," and how the colors seem to fade fast compared to other seat materials, so decided to go with the cloth GrandTex option instead.
    Last edited by emki; 05-05-2019 at 05:28 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emki View Post
    My car has the height-adjustable seat, and I couldn't find a good place near the adjustment nob to insert two of the elastic straps.
    I wondered if the 6-way adjustable driver's seat (with that extra knob on the side) would be a slight installation issue?

I am liking the seat covers. I debated the material choice, too. That's the disadvantage of ordering items like this on line. I am not overly concerned about them fading or getting stained. I bought them to protect the front seats from abuse. If they look trashed in a couple years, I will replace them. If I am not happy with the present material, I can always try something else.

Obviously, custom seat covers cost a little more. Rockauto.com is a good place to price this brand (Seat Designs). So far, they seem great! I like the tight fit.