Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lighten up! New seat covers

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lighten up! New seat covers

The first time I ordered a dashboard cover online, I did it through RockAuto. When it arrived, I was surprised to find that return address was barely two miles from my apartment, from a company called Dash Designs. I've bought a couple of dashboard covers from them since then, and always in person instead. It's a manufacturing facility; they actually design and sew their covers right here in Tempe. They have a nice storefront with samples on display and swatches of every color of every material they offer. They also make seat covers.

The first thing I did after I bought my Mirage was walk in there and pick out some seat covers. I hate black interiors. It's hot and stuffy, and any interior designer will tell you that dark spaces feel smaller. People say it hides dirt, which is true if you're tracking dark mud and spilling coffee, but there couldn't be a worse choice for hiding dust, or white fur. I live in the desert, and have a Husky mix who will be blowing an unholy torrent of fluffy white fur as soon as winter's over.

Dash Designs has a couple of options that look like they were pulled from the swatch book of late '90's GM. Remember when car seat fabric had a nap to it? I miss those days. It's all flat and scratchy now, even on more expensive cars.

So, before. So gloomy! I don't even want to think about putting Tasi in here.

They finished making the covers yesterday. They offer free install for local customers, too, so I took them up on that offer today. I chose "Plush Regal" in "Tan," which didn't please me on their website, but impressed me in person. Looks like a '98 Malibu, I think.

Their catalog only goes up to 2018 currently, but I can confirm here that it still fits on a 2019. They're actually sold through RockAuto for cheaper than I paid in person ($110 to $150 per row instead of the $145 I paid), but you still have to pay shipping and install them yourself.

I promise I have no affiliation with this company. I just live close and love what they do.

And yes, they offer everything in black, too... if that's your thing...

Last edited by Scratchpaddy; 02-21-2019 at 02:07 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (02-22-2019),Daox (02-21-2019),x111951753 (02-08-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I like them! They seem to fit great!!!! Good share! My English Setter & I are not a big fan of black interiors either. Maybe black Lab. owners like black interiors better?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Are those seat covers compatible with the Mirage airbags found in the seats? My owner's manual specifically states to not use seat covers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-21-2019),Top_Fuel (02-21-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nice looking seat covers.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Those look like they fit great! I usually put Wet Okole seat covers in all of my cars, but they don't have a pattern for the Mirage. I think they have decided that Mirage owners are too cheap to buy them so they never bothered to get a pattern. As a result, I have been sitting back waiting for someone to post pictures of seat covers that really fit well. These may be the best ones I've seen.

Eggman brings up a good question. There should be velcro flaps or some other "breakaway" system on the sides of both front seat covers so that airbag deployment is not affected.

EDIT - I just checked out their website and they have an impressive selection of materials! They have real neoprene covers (wet-suit material) which I really like. I will be ordering a set as soon as we have the answer to the airbag question.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 02-21-2019 at 01:53 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, they are airbag-compatible. They don't cover the spot where the airbags are mounted on the outer side of the front seats.

Top Fuel, I saw a post of yours years ago saying the same thing when I was looking through old threads about seat covers. Dash Designs does sell two different types of Neoprene covers. They don't look quite as nice as some of the Wet Okole ones, but they're almost half the price through RockAuto.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    Yes, they are airbag-compatible. They don't cover the spot where the airbags are mounted on the outer side of the front seats.
    Cool! Thanks for the update

...They don't look quite as nice as some of the Wet Okole ones, but they're almost half the price through RockAuto.
    They are good enough for a Mirage...lol. Thanks for the tip. I will check out Rock Auto's website. Wonder why they are cheaper there? You think it would be cheaper to buy direct?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They must have agreements not to undercut their vendors. The prices listed on Dash Designs' own website are higher than what you'll find for the same thing at AutoAnything, or CARiD, or any of their other vendors. But walk in and buy one, and they quietly charge you less. Maybe they can be talked into a price match, but I didn't ask. The price was good enough already, especially with the free installation.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Definitely order through RockAuto! I just priced the same seat covers out at both websites and here's the difference.

This is for a pair of front seat covers (2-tone black with charcoal inserts) in Neoprene material...

Name:  seats.jpg
Views: 1349
Size:  79.4 KB

How can you be sure that RockAuto is ordering the right thing? When you select the seat covers you want on the RockAuto website, click the blue "Info" button next to the item and it will literally open up the product page at the Dash Designs website!

Name:  info.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  29.2 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn't worry. The dash cover I ordered through RockAuto the first time came out just fine. All RockAuto does is pass your order on, and then Dash Designs sews them up and ships directly to you.

Do you want me to walk down there on lunch break and tell them to make sure that order for a Mirage in Ohio is really Black/Charcoal Genuine Neoprene? I work about a quarter mile away, it would take 15 minutes.