Thread: A summary of the first 100k miles of my 2017 mirage (it's a mouthful)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Smile A summary of the first 100k miles of my 2017 mirage (it's a mouthful)

Alright so this car has only had 6 engine oil and filter changes at an oci of 15k miles and 2 gear oil changes at an oci of 40k. The fluids I used are in my signature. It still has its original front and rear brakes but the stock ensaves crapped out at about 40k miles so I picked up some aftermarket wheels and tires I got from carId for less than I could get stock tire replacements from the dealer and sooner as well. Ive replaced the air filter twice and I've topped off the windshield wiper fluid reservoir quite a few times so ive probably spent more time doing that than anything else to the car. I have done all the maintenance myself since I bought it new. The car enjoys a daily 250 mile round trip commute all driven by my dad on California interstates with speedlimits of 70mph but spends most of the time humming at around 80mph full of his work gear. Needless to say I buy pretty good synthetic fluids and really use them like I believe they're intended to be used (extended oil drain intervals). I know I could be sure by getting a UOA done but I've looked at others UOAs including those of members on this forum to make my descions on my maintenance intervals and the products I use. I do want to do a compression test like forum member cobra jet and see how healthy my engine really is compared to his and engine and his maintenance schedule. All in all I am very surprised by this vehichle as I got my self a 2018 ram ram 2500 and the manual states a 15k mile oci which I do, not because the manual says so but because 15k miles is the interval I use on all my vehichles and it's been working out well for me so far I haven't had a car in the family fleet die with less than 300k. Anyway, an oil change on my ram 2500 costs me nearly $200 doing it myself because along with the 12.5 quarts of 5w40 rotella t6 and mopar oil filter I also change the fuel filter and water separator. Which is kind of messy if you aren't well prepared. The mirage is quick and easy to service and only requires simple hand tools you can fit in the glove box not only that bit if you do your own maintentince 3.5 quarts of oil is easy to get rid of at the parts store when the limit you to 5 gallons a day, i can chamge the oil on the mirage almost 5 times before going to the parts store to do recycle my used oil so that is very convenient. Writing this review just reminded me its time to change the the spark plugs on the mirage for the first time. To heck with all the nay sayers of the mirage it can definitely do what it was made to do for very little maintenance and very little fuel. I hope too get another 200k miles out of this little sewing machine at least! Viva mirage!

Last edited by Geojake; 02-21-2019 at 04:39 AM.
    2017 mitsubishi mirage manual , redline mtl in the gearbox every 40k, mobil1 ep 0w20 along with fram ultra xg7317 every 15k

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Geojake For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-21-2019),Daox (02-21-2019),Top_Fuel (02-21-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Wow! That is a pile of miles for a 2017! Maybe it is an early one? I know the '17 models came out in the spring of '16.

They don't make it easy to get the filters off the newer cummins'. Either gotta pull of the intake at the turbo and pull it straight up without spilling oil everywhere or buy a filter cap and weasel it outta there.
    I've never had problem getting rid of used oil, lots of shops have oil burning furnaces(or at least used to) and there are company's that come by with a vacuum truck and pump out used from oil and pay a few cents a liter. Antifreeze is a different story, the same company's charges to take that away.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Wow! That is a pile of miles for a 2017! Maybe it is an early one? I know the '17 models came out in the spring of '16.
    Yes it is an early '17 I bought her in August of 2016!
    2017 mitsubishi mirage manual , redline mtl in the gearbox every 40k, mobil1 ep 0w20 along with fram ultra xg7317 every 15k

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your right and the factory oil filter was on there so tight and on the '18 you can go from under the wheel well what I do is crank the wheel to the right, and use a 3/8 ratchet with a claw cam type filter wrench if it's the factory filter cuz Godzilla put it on lol. At this point I only loosen the filter and slip a bag over it and then continue to unscrew so I dont spill any oil. Ive got 2 filter caps but I can never find them when I need them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wish I could get rid of more than 5 gallons of used oil at a time I live in a small California small town so maybe that's why it's hard. Every dang auto parts store usually has they're waste oil tank full and tells you to come back tomorrow and in my family fleet see rack of the miles pretty quick. I put my new '18 ram 2500 into service on April 10, 2018 and she's sitting Purdy at 30k miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nice review. I'd be interested in a compression test as well. 15k intervals with synthetic and a nice filter seem fine to me. I know a lot of people may disagree, but I've been doing 10k intervals for years now with no issues. I've always thought that that was pretty conservative with synthetic oil.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Nice review. I'd be interested in a compression test as well. 15k intervals with synthetic and a nice filter seem fine to me. I know a lot of people may disagree, but I've been doing 10k intervals for years now with no issues. I've always thought that that was pretty conservative with synthetic oil.
    Thanks Daox, I hope to do a compression test soon and post back here. Good to hear another fellow mirage owner is not afraid to extend OCIs I'll bet I could probably stretch my OCI pretty close 20k as the mirage is pretty easy on oil.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I run my OCIs at what the manual says: 7500 miles. Here is my compression test, performed at just under 100,000 miles.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...g-replacement!

These are tough little motors, and I have always believed they can go much further than 7500 miles on an oil change with no ill effects. This interval is only recommended by Mitsubishi in markets where the 10/100 powertrain warranty is in effect. Other markets get much longer OCIs.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-23-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Damn I hope to read the CVT version of that story lol. Congrats man.