Thread: questions about mechanics/computers

Country
    United States
    Thanks

questions about mechanics/computers

HOw many computers does this lil guy have I heard cars have 50-100 processors now. The ignition seems simple is it just a 12v battery based or is there some more complex stuff to it? This video got me thinking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zL7P-etsDI

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    No idea how many computers or processors our cars have, but that's not important at all. This car has numerous control modules, some of them work mainly or totally by themselves, others work only in conjunction with others. There may be a whole bunch of processors inside a random module, but maybe it has only one processor inside containing so-and-so many million transistors. Who knows how many? Nobody, I bet not even the developers! But that's actually totally unimportant, because the systems must work properly, and work together under all conditions, regardless what's inside the components of whatever sealed box.
    Furthermore, these electronic systems can only do their job with their correct firmware, plus the correct data being constantly input from numerous sensors and also from the values/variables that were input into the ETACS in the factory or sometime later.

Our cars are not like simple lawnmowers, and technology has come a long way since. It is Mitsubishi's and other manufacturers job (for instance BOSCH as as the maker of the ABS system), to make everything electronic control the mechanics properly, and to make everything work together in harmony. It is also their well-kept secret and their valuable intellectual property as to exactly how they manage to do it.

Just to give you an idea:
    The car has a LIN (Local Interconnect Network), it has a CAN - system (Controller Area Network), there is a ECU (Engine Control Unit), the related ECM (Engine Control Module), there is a FAST (KOS) & OSS & IMMO - ECU (one single module for Keyless entry, Immobilizer, etc and so on), there is the SRS (Supplementary Restraint System) there is the ETACS - ECU, the engine and emission control, and lots and lots of other stuff. It would take more than an engineers degree to fully understand only one of the units mentioned. The FSM (Factory Service Manual) merely scratches on the subject of what the individual modules are, and how they work. I hope I have given you a tiny glimpse of what makes these cars work...
    Last edited by foama; 02-22-2019 at 01:07 PM.

I didn't count them all when I scanned one last but like foama said there's a lot. Probably around a dozen if that for these cars.

Look at something like a mercedes and you can multiply that a few times. I scanned a mid 2000's g wagon and came up with a ton of modules, one for each door, one for each seat, transfer case, transmission, engine,phone,gps,.... There were at least 25 or so and of course everyone had a few codes stored. I'm sure they've come a long ways since then and are able to combine multiple modules into one smaller more efficient one. But I'm a believer in "more options=more things to go wrong/break".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Like Foama said, there's only a handful of core units via CAN. ECU (Engine), TCU (Transmission), IMMO (Security), SRS (Airbags), Combine (Dashboard/MID), ETACS (Body Control), KOS (FAST Key and Keyless Entry), Climat (Climate Control/AC), and ABS.

There are other non-interactive devices on the network like the Radio, which is just watching for things like when the headlights are on (to adjust the display brightness) or when the car is moving (to lock out menus while driving).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I use ultragauge to monitor my engine. Upon installation it will look for sensors to monitor, for engine alone there are at least 50+ parameters to monitor. Transmission, brakes, security system, are not included.

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is it possible to get a list of those sensors from you that it comes up with? I'd be curious to know if there's one beyond the "standard" OBD ones. Looks like you can buy it on Amazon for $90, that's pretty cheap for a nice looking display as well. I'd be down to use it over my phone (even if OBDLink/Torque is really customizable)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)