Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade 2015 Mirage or trade for 2011 Golf TDI

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowtuy View Post
    There has to be SOMETHING I can do to make the car less disappointing.
    The best suggestion I can offer is to adjust your approach to your transportation. What is the better outcome for You - to suffer minor ridicule (and it is minor) or to be constantly in debt?

Your choice. You've been given some solid advice here. You already have a reliable car. Has your Mirage ever left you stranded? Also, trying to chase down 'performance mods' will drain your wallet nicely.

If you are worried about your passengers weight causing your Mirage to hit it's bump stops on bumps, there are two options to consider: 1) get some Air Lift air bags. I got a kit from Amazon for $75. 2) Ask your passengers to lose weight haha. Throw some of it back at 'em.

If you are disciplined, you should pay off that debt whether if it's for a car, a house, credit card - whatever. Do whatever you can to not owe anyone anything. Then you can enjoy something more valuable than going fast - you can enjoy financial freedom.

Best wishes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    "Fun" is a ....diesel Golf? To each his own, I guess! Sounds like you have made your decision.
    I work for a vw dealer as a tech, and yes actually, diesel golfs are fun with the 6 speed manual, way more fun than these cars are. They handle very well stock, have tons of torque, ok horsepower, and the engine is actually pretty responsive, unlike these engines.

They do have a 160k mile warranty after the diesel update also, so the engine is at least has warranty coverage
    Last edited by kzelisko; 02-25-2019 at 01:10 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kzelisko For This Useful Post:

shadowtuy (02-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    There is a B mode that locks the revs higher but i'm not sure what its use case would be?
    I would check your owner's manual. It should spell out what the B mode is for. I could easily speculate it's for more power to climb hills or entrance ramps, which you should definitely explored this given some of your concerns about the car. I would want to know if it is safe to go back & forth between modes while cruising down the highway, too. For example, can you use B mode to enter a highway, but then shift back to normal D mode later on? Not owning a CVT vehicle, I am speculating here. You should check your owner's manual on this.

There has been a discussion on this. The CVT was changed slightly in the 2017 models. Thus, I am not going to quote my own 2107 manual here.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ear-on-the-CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    There is a B mode that locks the revs higher but i'm not sure what its use case would be?
    OK, here is the deal with “B”. The Jatco CVT in the Mirage is a 2 speed CVT. Mitsubishi has programmed thie CVT for maximum economy. This results in pretty horrible acceleration in “D”. I drive my CVT like a manual almost all the time. I put the transmission into neutral at every stop. I manually downshift into “B” to slow down and take off from a stop in “B” every time and manually upshift into “D” about 30mph. Try using “B” from a stop and give it a healthy dose of throttle and don’t let up and upshift into “D” at 50 mph. You’ll really be able to feel the difference. I’ve downshifted into “B” at 70 mph and the rpm’s were about 4700 so you’re not going to over rev the engine or anything like that. Not that the Mirage is a powerhouse by any means but if you take off using “B” and just floor it and hold it you will be surprised. Take a look at my fuel log with almost 4 years and over 64k miles of tracking, my mpg’s have been pretty consistent

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-26-2019),MetroMPG (02-27-2019),shadowtuy (02-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    OK, here is the deal with “B”. The Jatco CVT in the Mirage is a 2 speed CVT. Mitsubishi has programmed thie CVT for maximum economy. This results in pretty horrible acceleration in “D”. I drive my CVT like a manual almost all the time. I put the transmission into neutral at every stop. I manually downshift into “B” to slow down and take off from a stop in “B” every time and manually upshift into “D” about 30mph. Try using “B” from a stop and give it a healthy dose of throttle and don’t let up and upshift into “D” at 50 mph. You’ll really be able to feel the difference. I’ve downshifted into “B” at 70 mph and the rpm’s were about 4700 so you’re not going to over rev the engine or anything like that. Not that the Mirage is a powerhouse by any means but if you take off using “B” and just floor it and hold it you will be surprised. Take a look at my fuel log with almost 4 years and over 64k miles of tracking, my mpg’s have been pretty consistent
    Those of us that drive a manual Mirage just learned how to drive a CVT Mirage!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Those of us that drive a manual Mirage just learned how to drive a CVT Mirage!
    STILL don't want one!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kzelisko View Post
    I work for a vw dealer as a tech, and yes actually, diesel golfs are fun with the 6 speed manual, way more fun than these cars are. They handle very well stock, have tons of torque, ok horsepower, and the engine is actually pretty responsive, unlike these engines.

They do have a 160k mile warranty after the diesel update also, so the engine is at least has warranty coverage
    Oh, as a 'recovering' VW guy, I know they are more fun than a Mirage. It's just that if fun is the point of taking what would certainly be a substantial financial hit, I could think of MANY, MANY cars that are more fun than a Golf.

The Mirage is about the least fun you can have, at least in stock CVT form. And I think that is the OP's main problem...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Oh, as a 'recovering' VW guy,
    I'm kinda a VW guy as well, but if the OP really thinks his CVT Mirage is slow, I'll invite him to try my 1966 Beetle with 48 hard working horses (I think my CVT Mirage is a race car after a weekend in the Bug!!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I'm kinda a VW guy as well, but if the OP really thinks his CVT Mirage is slow, I'll invite him to try my 1966 Beetle with 48 hard working horses (I think my CVT Mirage is a race car after a weekend in the Bug!!!
    I chuckled when I read this. I bet I could beat you in the "slow" race, with the 1960 canvass top bug with 36 hp, that I used to own. LOl

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-26-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    I chuckled when I read this. I bet I could beat you in the "slow" race, with the 1960 canvass top bug with 36 hp, that I used to own. LOl
    Your going to be the winner, as I understand the 1965 &> bugs had a higher final drive ratio... (so they would go faster ??) if that was possible???)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)