Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello, glad to meet ya!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    We just groan in here because the GT only comes with a CVT (which severely limits the driving experience)
    Can we please stop with this? The manual trans elitism is thick enough already. Most Mirages sold probably have the CVT.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Can we please stop with this? The manual trans elitism is thick enough already. Most Mirages sold probably have the CVT.
    It's actually pretty accurate. I've driven both the 2017 cvt and own two with the manual. The driving experience is far better with the manual and allows for much more engaging and free driving experience. Not to mention better acceleration and mileage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    I'm not doggin' the CVT. I'm just saying don't give one to the automotive press to review and expect anything good to come out of it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    I'm not doggin' the CVT. I'm just saying don't give one to the automotive press to review and expect anything good to come out of it.
    It makes me wonder why Mitsubishi doesn't provide manual transmission equipped Mirages for press reviews? After all, they should be able to drive a manual being Auto Enthusiasts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It makes me wonder why Mitsubishi doesn't provide manual transmission equipped Mirages for press reviews? After all, they should be able to drive a manual being Auto Enthusiasts.
    I had a quick back and forth with Nathan from TFL YouTube channel about the mirage and he told me he has requested a manual equipped Mirage on more than a couple occasions and he has not gotten a reply from Mitsubishi but would continue to try as he would like to test a manual

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-26-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ya Think??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Ya Think??
    Well, why do you think they give the CVT? I figured it's because Mitsubishi doesn't trust the U.S. automotive press to manage a manual, but I could be wrong.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    You're right - enough is enough. There's plenty of dependable CVTs out there proving their worth.

Is it okay to maybe crack a joke about it every now and then?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    You're right - enough is enough. There's plenty of dependable CVTs out there proving their worth.

Is it okay to maybe crack a joke about it every now and then?
    "Manual trans elitism". Ha! Never heard that term before, but I can tell you it is not unique to this forum. Go to the Geo Metro Forum and tell them your Metro has the wheezy 3-speed slushbox and hear everyone collectively sigh with contempt. And if you think this 'elitism' is bad there try a BMW forum...where automatics are practically considered blasphemous in a car where vaunted Getrag manuals are an option.

CVTs make a slow car slower. It is just a fact. I drove a 2015-ish Toyota Corolla S with a CVT when my ex-girlfriend had one as a rental, and it felt like a slow, heavy, turd. But a friend has the exact same car with a six-speed manual and it was decent to drive. There is nothing wrong with a CVT but the manual performs much better in terms of acceleration and mileage. When these two parameters are the subject of conversation then the CVT's inherent limitations are going to be mentioned. Pretending the CVT isn't going to hamper this car's already meager performance when put in the hands of an enthusiast reviewer, and thus damage it's public reputation, is just wishful thinking. Especially on Mitsubishi's part! I have heard of reviewers REQUESTING manual Mirages. Mitsubishi won't send them out.

Apologies to CVT owners, but driving a CVT Mirage is like driving a manual car with the tires at 20 psi and the AC on.

Wait...you mean there has been an effort underway to get positive press for the Mirage?!? I'm not sure any of us have actually seen a positive mainstream review of the Mirage, unfortunately.
    There are a few. Not many in the U.S., but they're out there.

Thread: MYTH: car reviewers hate the Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)