Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello, glad to meet ya!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Hello, glad to meet ya!

So, while I am not a stranger to vehicle centric forums, i was utterly unaware of such a thing as a Mirage forum, buy I'm so glad I found it.

I just purchased a 2015 kiwi green Mirage DE. So far, I love it!

This vehicle is a vast departure from the kind of vehicles I generally own. At least for now

For the past 20 years I have been a stage rally competitor and tactical/performance driving instructor. Truth be told, the Mirage just competes in a totally different competition. And does VERY well indeed. I also spent the past half dozen years working in the automotive marketig and PR industry as a 3rd party contractor for most of the worlds biggest auto manufacturers, including Mitsubishi and was principly involved in the marketing strategies employed to win over the automotive press and their poor impression of the Mirage. Through our efforts we were able to track and document a measured shift in the perception of this amazing little car. If you access my linked in profile you can read an endorsement from the then head Mitsubishi reflecting my commitment to this brand.

This car is NOT my first foray into the world of the diamond star, having owned and competitively raced an eagle talon Tsi then an Evolution RS. My intent is to drive this wonderful little car through its remaining warranty and then fully convert it to an R5. Interestingly my buddies and I in the NW have completed such a conversion onn the 91 3-door colt/ Mirage previously by transporting the entire pan and running gear of an eclipse GSX into the perky little platform.

Until then, I plan to enjoy the company of this monumental vehicle and the company of you all.

Thank you for sharing you forum and knowledge with me.

If there is anything I can do for you all, please let me know.

If you are so inclined, you can read a little deeper into my driving habits at if you www.driverforhire.com

Many happy miles to each of you...

Scott Kovalik
    #36 EVORallySport

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hello Scott and welcome to the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Howdy, neighbor! And welcome! I was just up in Snohomish a couple weeks ago...during "Snowmageddon".

BTW, that is not 'Kiwi Green' here in the Pac NW...it is SEAHAWKS GREEN!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EVORally View Post
    I also spent the past half dozen years working in the automotive marketig and PR industry as a 3rd party contractor for most of the worlds biggest auto manufacturers, including Mitsubishi and was principly involved in the marketing strategies employed to win over the automotive press and their poor impression of the Mirage. Through our efforts we were able to track and document a measured shift in the perception of this amazing little car. If you access my linked in profile you can read an endorsement from the then head Mitsubishi reflecting my commitment to this brand.
    This is interesting to me, because I can not recall any marketing from Mitsubishi that attempted to influence the U.S. public sentiment of our favorite little car. I don't recall seeing many television broadcast commercial advertisements (maybe one or two broadcast TV ads back in 2015 or so) nor any ads in print media. Could you further explain the marketing campaign you are referring to here?

Also I guess it is safe to say that this forum had no influence in Mitsubishi's corporate marketing for the Mirage. At least by your introduction it appears so.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Welcome, Scott! What an interesting intro thread.

I'm definitely interested in hearing more about "influencing the influencers".

I'm sure some of the autojournos you interacted with concerning the Mirage would diagnose you with something like Stockholm Syndrome for having bought one in the end!

And I wonder what it is about the car that attracts driving instructors. That makes 4 current/former ones here that I know of.

Glad to have you here!

Darin

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Welcome. Sounds like you have a unique automotive background. Your website is impressive!

...principally involved in the marketing strategies employed to win over the automotive press and their poor impression of the Mirage
    Wait...you mean there has been an effort underway to get positive press for the Mirage?!? I'm not sure any of us have actually seen a positive mainstream review of the Mirage, unfortunately.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    To clarify, not an effort to so much sell the Mirage yo the media but to encourage the media to assess it fairl for what it is and was meant to be. This car in its current iteration was the punch dummy of automotive journalism for many of its early years
    And it was unfairly judged against standards it was not ever meant to reach. We simply set about reminding the media what this car was truly about and they began to umderstand it amd and recognize how it met amd exceeded those expectations and that awareness began showing in their reviews. Over yhe next year or so, we saw a significant decrease in the sheer bashing of this capable little car and journos coming around yo admitting its place and purpose and even some admiration.

Stockholm syndrome? Perhaps a bit true. I think we just recognize the car for what it isand embrace that reality as we teach, in essence, operating within something's physical boundaries and maybe even a different view of what "performance" really means.

For what the Mirage was designed to be, it performs incredibly well. Better than you'd think, in fact.

Back that ip with Mitsubishi's amazing warranty and you have a VERY safe and reliable vehicle with an extremely low cost of ownership, one that out performs anything else on the market. What's not to love?

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EVORally For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (02-27-2019),MetroMPG (02-27-2019),Top_Fuel (02-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    For what the Mirage was designed to be, it performs incredibly well. Better than you'd think, in fact.

Back that up with Mitsubishi's amazing warranty and you have a VERY safe and reliable vehicle with an extremely low cost of ownership, one that out performs anything else on the market. What's not to love?
    Most Mirage owners on this forum have figured that out. Too bad the automotive media can't talk to people in here!

The only thing Mitsubishi should consider is adopting a lower pricing structure for the car. Most of us here purchased the car new for $10-$12K. There's nothing even close in the US market at that price point. But the closer that number moves towards $15K and beyond, the less attractive the Mirage looks.

We often see a loaded $18,000 Mirage GT reviewed in the automotive media. We just groan in here because the GT only comes with a CVT (which severely limits the driving experience) and it also costs $18K! Nobody in the right mind would pay $18K for a Mirage...even members of this forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fair point! Pricing is the primary factor driving the comparrisons to higher trimmed vehicles in this niche.

While I may personally agree with you in keeping the pricepoint lower ensuring the car clearly stands on purpoae, I still think the car is an exceptional value particularly when looking at long term cost of operation and peace of mind. The $18 k price point just makes that story harder to tell.

Last edited by EVORally; 02-26-2019 at 11:45 PM.