Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hello, glad to meet ya!

Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Can we please stop with this? The manual trans elitism is thick enough already. Most Mirages sold probably have the CVT.
    It's about 50/50 here on the forum, but you're right: in the wild it's more like 90% CVT:

Thread: Surprising garage stats: comparing numbers of CVT vs. manual Mirage owners

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    don't give one to the automotive press to review and expect anything good to come out of it.
    Preach!

That's true as far as the stereotypical "gearhead" American review is concerned.

2 of the best "mainstream" U.S. reviews of the Mirage that I can think of were from guys who drove the 5-speed: Torchinsky from Jalopnik, and Glucker who was doing Auto-by-tel reviews back then.

Torchinsky also went on to write probably one of the best defenses of the Mirage and criticisms of out-of-touch reviewers. (Ironically, one of Torchinsky's former co-workers produced what is possibly the most damaging review of the Mirage.)

Then, as far as I know, Mitsu stopped making the manual car available. I never saw another manual review in the States (or Canada for that matter). I once pointed this out to Mitsu Canada's PR manager and he thought I was kidding when I said the Mirage press fleet should be biased toward base trim manuals.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-28-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by EVORally View Post
    Over yhe next year or so, we saw a significant decrease in the sheer bashing of this capable little car and journos coming around yo admitting its place and purpose and even some admiration.
    Can you think of any? Would like to see 'em, if I haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It makes me wonder why Mitsubishi doesn't provide manual transmission equipped Mirages for press reviews? After all, they should be able to drive a manual being Auto Enthusiasts.
    I'm assuming they give the press and reviewers higher optioned cars to test which if it's a gt is gonna have to be a cvt. If they gave out a base model 5 speed they'd probably get ridiculed even more about the lack of options.

I guess you're probably onto something with manual's though, I'm sure there's a bunch who can't drive a stick. It's the millennial anti theft device.

And hey, a cvt Mirage is pretty exciting to drive, when you first pull into traffic after not driving one for a week and quickly get reminded that it's not gonna get up to speed as fast as I expected and a semi is now coming up fast from behind. It takes some getting used to.

Now I might understand why some people drive so slow, they're waiting for their heart to catch up after almost getting t-boned after making a left turn in front of oncoming traffic

Last edited by Fummins; 03-01-2019 at 02:06 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)