Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plug Upgrade when-to

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

By the way - I would stick with factory equivalent NGK or Denso iridium plugs.
    I'm not checking my Mirage's spark plugs myself. It's a case of like how these days lots of tools get replaced, not fixed.

If I look at it as a plus minus analysis sort of thing, the car is under warranty, I'm paying for the car each month, what do I know about new cars compared to the experts.

I like to have as many good new parts on my Mirage at any one time as I can, and since I'm having my car serviced this week (5 days with a Lancer rental on house), I should jump on getting a deal they offered, after a fiasco of sorts I had at the dealer the past while.

Last edited by dspace9; 03-03-2019 at 01:11 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I'm not checking my Mirage's spark plugs myself. It's a case of like how these days lots of tools get replaced, not fixed.

If I look at it as a plus minus analysis sort of thing, the car is under warranty, I'm paying for the car each month, what do I know about new cars compared to the experts.

I like to have as many good new parts on my Mirage at any one time as I can, and since I'm having my car serviced this week (5 days with a Lancer rental on house), I should jump on getting a deal they offered, after a fiasco of sorts I had at the dealer the past while.
    Sorry, I missed your main point of all this. Plugs, serpentine belt, brakes & whatever are all good things to have checked.

Personally, I only use dealers for warranty/recall work. I like to do some things myself, & we have wonderful small town mechanics that I trust to take care of things I don't like to handle. Maintenance items aren't really warranty items, but it is good to stay on top of things.

By the way - It's good to hear your starter issue is getting resolved!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-03-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    issue is getting resolved!
    Thanks, glad I got some goodies as in good deals now I think the dealer is trying to patch things up with me. They will swap the Lancer Sportback to my house, the rental I have now for 4 or 5 days. The Lancer is not fuel efficient like my Mirage. So glad I went Mirage not Lancer on purchase day back in '14.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Thanks for the info! Sounds like Mirage's factory spark plugs last forever, I just wouldn't mind keeping up on some of the regular maintenance of my Mirage, even if it's "overkill" as they say.
    May I recommend you get a copy of the Factory Service Manual (FSM) and take your time to read it. That would help you maintain and repair your car, to understand how it works, and to save money.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-03-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    May I recommend you get a copy of the Factory Service Manual (FSM) and take your time to read it. That would help you maintain and repair your car, to understand how it works, and to save money.
    Yes of course, but my Mirage is in the dealer's shop for a week - I can't look up this stuff, the FSM is in my glove box! ha, and the dealer sprung the Spark Plug deal on me while I just have my Lancer rental

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes of course, but
    Another thing is the dealer or manufacturer will recommend changing parts sometimes, before you really need to, just to make money --
    so it's nice to hear what others feel about certain "regular" maintenance that can end up just being a big money maker for the dealer

I wish I could consult my car manual but I don't have it right now, only the French copy and my French isn't the best

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I can't look up this stuff, the FSM is in my glove box! ha,
    I think foama is talking about the Factory Service Manual, & it sounds like you're thinking the owners manual. I have never seen a factory Service Manual that would fit in a glove box in my 40 years as a licensed Mechanic...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-03-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Yes of course, but my Mirage is in the dealer's shop for a week - I can't look up this stuff, the FSM is in my glove box! ha, and the dealer sprung the Spark Plug deal on me while I just have my Lancer rental
    Don't forget you can download a searchable, electronic copy of both the factory service manual and your owner's manual (they are two different things.)

Another thing is the dealer or manufacturer will recommend changing parts sometimes, before you really need to, just to make money --
    so it's nice to hear what others feel about certain "regular" maintenance that can end up just being a big money maker for the dealer
    Let your service proceed as promised before they change their mind again. If they conduct themselves to your satisfaction, then you can consider giving them more of your money. Otherwise, do you really expect they will deliver on their promises, considering how they've treated you up to this point? From my seat here, I'd say no way. They've jerked you around enough. You shouldn't have to get forum peanut gallery feedback to answer this question - you should know it for yourself, right?

I wish I could consult my car manual but I don't have it right now, only the French copy and my French isn't the best
    Again, you can download electronic, searchable copies of your manuals. Let us know if you need help.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Don't forget you can download a searchable, electronic copy of both the factory service manual and your owner's manual (they are two different things.)

Let your service proceed as promised before they change their mind again.
    Thanks Eggman True true I will proceed with services, already it's gone from 1 day of rental car to like 5, and yeah they might change their minds again. Haven't had my Mirage for a few days now

The dealer has redeemed themselves a little the past 24 hours giving me the fancy loaded Lancer rental car for the week, and also doing the home delivery. That was the kicker for me, when it was Jaguar-Mitsubishi-Volvo dealer you got the home delivery service and it makes my life SO much easier with my hours of work

That said Eggman because yes they jerked me around lots, and a fancy loaded Lancer free Rental & home delivery after for the week isn't going to take the wounds away

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I replaced my at about 97,000 miles. They didn't need it.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...g-replacement!
    What he said. I replace my plugs every 100k miles. I’ve done it twice and the plugs always look fine. I have a feeling you could easily get 150k miles out of these plugs but I do it every 100k just to be on a schedule.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-04-2019)