Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Center caps

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Top Fuel, I like that color. It makes me happy that you can still buy Chrysler pony car today in screaming orange, but I wish more people would choose that option. One of the guys I work with bought a Challenger Scat Pack, with a supercharged 392 hemi motor making almost 500 horsepower... and it's painted flat gray. Yuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Have you found an internal thread bolt to make this all happen? You don't have a lot of extra thread to work with, but it shouldn't take much to hold lightweight plastic in place.
    No need, I make my own.

Before anyone throws up, no, I'm not using blue nuts on red caps. These are just test pieces.

I managed to get the M12 x 1.5 threads perfect, but I made the holes in the cap a little bit too tight. I wanted to use the nuts like dowels to locate the caps, but it's really not necessary. The slope of the wheel already centers the cap when it's tightened down.

When I went back to it this morning, I realized my wheel measurements were fine, and my first prototype was just the right outer diameter. I used the rear wheel for reference, so I hadn't realized that the front axle sticks out a bit, and interferes with my cap. I just need to add a Ø1" clearance pocket to the center of the back of the cap.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    How's your creation coming along? The closest thing I could find related to all this was this center cover for a Raider, but it's not designed for 4-100 bolt pattern.

Name:  IMG_3446.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  24.9 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was busy with visiting family for a week, and now I'm having issues with my printer. It's a $300 kit I built 3 years ago. It needs a lot of tweaking and babysitting to get things right. I've learned a lot about 3d printing from it. Every component on it is the cheapest thing possible, and it looks like my hotend core is degraded. Today I was looking at maybe upgrading to a really nice hotend, but I think I'll just fix this one with a $4 replacement part. Yay cheap stuff.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow, this project sat for a long time. I finally printed a complete cap last weekend. My first reaction was... no. No, that doesn't look very good.

It's growing on me a little, looking at the pictures now. The shape is fine. It fits perfectly, and fastens securely. The white may be a little too bright, though, and I ran out of blue filament printing prototypes for work.

I wanted something bright, something that really stands out. I'm afraid to admit that black may be the best choice here. I'll print black next, but I'll go ahead and order some blue filament, too.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-21-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    Wow, this project sat for a long time. I finally printed a complete cap last weekend. My first reaction was... no. No, that doesn't look very good.

It's growing on me a little, looking at the pictures now. The shape is fine. It fits perfectly, and fastens securely. The white may be a little too bright, though, and I ran out of blue filament printing prototypes for work.

I wanted something bright, something that really stands out. I'm afraid to admit that black may be the best choice here. I'll print black next, but I'll go ahead and order some blue filament, too.
    You'll have to take bids on the white ones!

I like the look. Even without the chrome rings, I would like the look of what you created. Black with the red diamond logo would probably be my first preference, but I think it turned out good in white, too.

I was hoping you would come up with something. Thanks for sharing!!!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BecauseRaceCar (05-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They look really good. With a printer like that you are limited in materials but I'm a big fan of ABS so I can vapor smooth it.

Something that the Star Wars car guys do to their wheels are to use actual pizza pans with expansion plugs. Gives a smooth steel covering that can be painted or have vinyl applied. I've seen it on a few hypermiler cars as well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I freaking love those!
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    They look really good. With a printer like that you are limited in materials but I'm a big fan of ABS so I can vapor smooth it.
    I like ABS for its durability and heat resistance. That's what I used for the caps and nuts. I haven't tried vapor smoothing yet, but I appreciate that it's an option. I was going to go all-out on post-processing here, but I got lazy and I kind of like the "raw" look. The only thing I did after printing was fill in the logo with "racing red" nail polish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Black with the red diamond logo would probably be my first preference, but I think it turned out good in white, too.
    I 95% of the people out there would agree with you about black. The white really calls attention to itself, which is not necessarily bad, but black looks like it belongs there. I might finish the white set at some point. For now, I just finished a complete black set and installed them. They really fit in. You can almost believe Mitsubishi made them, instead of a crazed Mirage fan.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dude... that looks pretty awesome. Brings some of that "base model" car look from the 80's back. Way better than the ugly wheel covers the car comes with.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think your center caps look great! The white ones do pop out at you more, but the black ones look really sharp, too.
    I don't think the factory hubcaps are horrible, but I do like what you have created much better!!!

You're probably not going to inspire anyone to give up their alloy wheels and go back to steel ones, but it's a good look for those of us willing to stick it out with steel wheels.

Thanks for sharing!