Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Swapping gauge cluster

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Swapping gauge cluster

Does anyone know if, when swapping the gauge cluster, the new unit will automatically display the car's actual mileage?

I've never tried on a Mirage, I have on 99-06 gm trucks and the mileage stayed in the cluster. You could fool some people but if you plugged a scanner in you could read the actual mileage stored in the ecm. I had an 06 grand prix that you could just replace the odometer screen above the radio and the mileage would stay in the screen.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Definitely not wanting to fool anyone haha. Every other car I've tried this with has been the same result as those GM trucks. I doubt the Mirage would be different since it's a simple car, but some places online offer adjusting the mileage to what you want for a fee. Likely a scam.

I might have to be the guinea pig on this one.

Why do you want to change your cluster? The dealer wanted to change it on one of our Mirage's cause the low washer fluid and brake warning light kept coming on then eventually stayed on. The dealership diagnostics skills are lacking. They must ask the kid changing oil for tech tips.

I've got a few spare clusters. I might try to swap out a cluster for sharts to see what happens. I've got one car here with 400k kms. Most of the new drivers that end up assigned to that one car ends up complaining about the mileage and try's to find things wrong like the engine shakes cause it's old. Hope this'll shut them up.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-06-2019 at 01:35 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (07-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by nickpon View Post
    Definitely not wanting to fool anyone haha. Every other car I've tried this with has been the same result as those GM trucks. I doubt the Mirage would be different since it's a simple car, but some places online offer adjusting the mileage to what you want for a fee. Likely a scam.

I might have to be the guinea pig on this one.
    I did it. Easiest swap I've ever done. Pull the bezel off and there is 1! philips screw holding the cluster.
    I managed to knock off 380k kms off a 15' mirage lmao. I wonder if anyone here will notice? Why is the top of the roof and front of the hood all rusty on a 4 year old car with only 20k kms?

I gotta go and make sure the mileage is still stored in the etacs or ecm somewhere. I should be able to find it when I plug in the scanner. It would be hilarious if the scanner showed the lower mileage too! I highly doubt it but we'll never have to buy any cvt's if that's the case lol

Edit, I ended up putting the old speedo back in. We want to see how many miles this thing can put on before it craters.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-08-2019 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Put original cluster back in.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-08-2019),mohammad (06-18-2022)

Should actually make a sticky or something about this warning to beware when buying a low mileage Mirage! Either that or take this entire thread down so people don't get the idea to actually rollback their mileage to rip someone off.

It's insanely easy to rollback the mileage on these cars. When I check the "meter" computer which is just the speedo I guess it shows 19k kms. The car actually has 4004xxkms. I checked for data on every single computer I'm able to scan (mp(engine),cvt,abs,airbag,Meter(cluster),tpms(car doesn't have),eps(power steering),kos/oss/immo/keyless,steering angle sensor,ocm(ocupancy sensor) and only the meter one showed mileage and it was notthe correct mileage.
    The power steering module did show invalid value for the odometer but no other module even had any mention of odometer or hours.

I'll see what happens with the power steering mileage after i run it and switch it back to the original cluster.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-07-2019 at 10:38 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-08-2019),mohammad (07-29-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Dang it... I was kind of hoping to swap out my cluster for the nicer looking GT one but I'm not dealing with paying someone to reprogram the odometer to make it accurate.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Dang it... I was kind of hoping to swap out my cluster for the nicer looking GT one but I'm not dealing with paying someone to reprogram the odometer to make it accurate.
    In theory you could swap out the plastic bits inside the cluster yourself, they should come apart pretty easy (like if you were replacing the skin behind the gauges), then you could retain the electronics in your current cluster with the correct mileage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Just find one with similar mileage? I wasn't able to change the mileage with my scanner.

I could turn on the rear and front fog lights, program tpms sensors, change ac compressor type, headlight delay, interior light delay, rear wiper delay time.... lots of stuff but I couldn't find how to enable cruise. I'm pretty sure I can program new keys and adjust tmps pressure(if we had that option). Looks like I can program replacement etacs modules as well though the dealer claims they can't reprogram used ones.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Why do you want to change your cluster?
    If you'll look back in my post history, you'll see that I embarrassingly broke my cluster Well, it's not really broken, but the speedo says I'm going ~5kph faster than I actually am, and the tach is a bit off too. I'm thinking of selling my Mirage, so I'd like to fix it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I did it.
    Thanks!! Not the answer I was hoping for, but at least I know. Some of the ones online offer programming, so I guess I'll be asking them about how much they want for that service.