Thread: Insurance claim question.

Insurance claim question.

I've got a got an odd one. Has anyone had a vehicle damaged, stolen or had to make a claim while your vehicle was in the possession of a shop? If so what was the outcome?
    So a vehicle was taken to a shop to get work done, it was in their parking lot for a few days. The day they finally decided to bring it in and start working on it they discovered it was gone. Stolen....I'm not sure if a claim will be made cause it's an older vehicle only worth a thousand or so. It's been recovered and could be repaired for a few hundred bucks.

I'm just wondering if this might be covered by the garage policy of the shop the vehicle was parked at. I know at the shop I used to work at we had a mechanic plate like a dealer plate we would use to take customers cars on test drive, it had it's own insurance card so we were covered in case the customer had no insurance or transferred it to another vehicle during repairs. Of course most places wouldn't just come forward and offer to make a claim with their insurance company and take a hit with higher premiums etc.. and I'm sure there are signs all over the business saying leave and contents of vehicle at own risk so I guess they're probably sol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would bet it's on you. It's just parked there.
    Just the same if it was stolen at a Target or Walmart. Wouldn't be their problem. Or a hotel etc.

If it was inside their shop that would be a different situation though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Did someone sign a work order when the car was dropped off...or do you have an ongoing agreement with this business? I would think there's something in the service agreement about how they aren't responsible for vehicles left on their property...but a disclaimer like that doesn't necessarily absolve them of their legal responsibility in all instances. At least in the US it wouldn't.

If the car can be fixed for a few hundred dollars, I don't know why that shop wouldn't take care of it to maintain a good relationship with you guys? That's probably less than their deductible amount.

Was this a Mirage? If so...who would steal a Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-05-2019)

Yeah, good points. I can't say I've ever given anyone at target or walmart my key's and I've never been to a hotel fancy enough to have a valet! But I'm sure the shop has zero liability in cases like this.

It was just a mid 90's dodge with the easy to steal plastic ignition switch. I think it's an easy fix but we gotta pay to get it fixed as it's not worth it for me to drive 2 1/2 hrs one way to where it's at. If only the damn shop had noticed or let us know one day sooner...... The thieves took it at 4am from a shop parking lot, then drove it around town til 6am, parked in front of some run down house and must have slept for their doctor recommended 8hrs. Then they drove around town the next night for a few hours before noticing the gps and disabling it(probably smashed it and tossed it in a snow bank). The cops found it somewhere in the next town over the weekend. Thankfully it wasn't really trashed.
    Sadly the cops didn't care to look into anything after we provided them everywhere the vehicle was driven since they stole it and the times spent at each address. It's pretty clear where they spent the night. Sure woulda been nice to have caught them, though they'd be outta jail within a week.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)