Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: RIP Nissan Versa Note - cancelled. UPDATE: new Versa sedan for 2020

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I think we should have a rumble... Mirage forum vs. Versa forum. Who's in!??
    Now that Mitsubishi has merged with Renault & Nissan, I wouldn't be shocked if Nissan/Mitsubishi didn't start sharing some similar platforms in the future. A future Versa Note & Mirage could become identical cars separated at birth (Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix, Honda Passport/Isuzu Rodeo, Subaru BRZ / Scion FR-S, etc....).

Thus, we may want to rumble before that happens. I am only speculating by the way!!!!

Oh the speculation is well under way. Mirage / Micra / Clio platform sharing is likely:

What might we expect in the next generation 2020 Mirage? Micra platform Speculation
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...rm-Speculation

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Oh the speculation is well under way. Mirage / Micra / Clio platform sharing is likely:

What might we expect in the next generation 2020 Mirage? Micra platform Speculation
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...rm-Speculation
    The Mirage's best traits are affordable, reliable, easy to maintain, & very economical. My fear is that a new platform may take away from that somewhat. I plan on owning my Mirage for 10+ years, however. Thus, I am not fretting over any of this.

If the 2020 Mirage has a major makeover that doesn't trip your trigger, you may want to jump all over a discounted 2019 Mirage? Even the base models are well equipped now, & you would remain a member of the 3-cylinder club!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If the 2020 Mirage has a major makeover that doesn't trip your trigger, you may want to jump all over a discounted 2019 Mirage? Even the base models are well equipped now, & you would remain a member of the 3-cylinder club!
    That is my plan. By 2020 my 2015 should be nearly 200,000 miles, and I would definitely pick up a new 2019 on the cheap to replace it if the 2020 redesign isn't to my liking. And I doubt it will be.

But I really don't see why Mitsubishi couldn't just leave the Mirage as it is past 2020 and sell whatever Nissan/Mitsubishi/Renault mash-up that is meant to replace it as a parallel model. This isn't a market segment where people expect a latest-and-greatest platform redesign every 4-5 years, so I don't see why it couldn't soldier on if it is still selling and meeting emissions/safety standards.

Mitsubishi sold the Lancer on the same platform for about 10 years before finally pulling it here in the States, though sales did fall. They could do the same with the Mirage.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Pryme (03-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    This isn't a market segment where people expect a latest-and-greatest platform redesign every 4-5 years, so I don't see why it couldn't soldier on if it is still selling and meeting emissions/safety standards.
    Don't forget this is a global car, though. And particularly in the southeast Asian market (where the Mirage sells best), competition in this segment is pretty fierce. The competition typically refreshes every 6 or 7 years, so a replacement is due.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

next-gen 2020 Versa sedan made in same factory

Name:  2020_Nissan_Versa__16.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  46.5 KB

Confirmed that production of the next gen 2020 Versa sedan will remain in the same Mexican factory (Aguascalientes) that produces the current sedan plus the Micra (which is exported to Canada and elsewhere).

Interesting tidbit from this article: the Versa sedan is Mexico's best-selling car.

https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/autop...dido-de-mexico

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nissan has been the top brand in Mexico for a long time. The third-generation Sentra was built in both the US and Mexico, and sold here from 1991 to 1994. I learned to drive stick on a Tennessee-built '93 model. It was a great car for its time, with lots of power, great handling, and a comfortable ride. Most importantly, it was simple and reliable, though it didn't have air conditioning. Or airbags.

It was called the Tsuru in Mexico. When the next gen came out in 1995, the old version continued to be built and sold there at a reduced price. Sales only continued to climb, and it became the best-selling car in the country in 1997 (finally dethroning the original Volkswagen Beetle, called the Sedán there), and it continued to hold that position until 2011. Production didn't stop until 2017, twenty-five years after the model was released.

J.D. Power may have been impressed with its "customer satisfaction," per the ad above, but the IIHS was less impressed. They did a crash test pitting the Tsuru against its modern counterpart, the Versa, in a partial-overlap head-on collision. Let's just say, crash safety has come a long way since 1991, and I'm very glad I never crashed mine.

2015 Nissan Tsuru vs. 2016 Nissan Versa

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-11-2019),MetroMPG (05-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I dont know if I just haven't seen a Versa in a while, or its the pain meds I'm on... but that is a pretty decent looking car in that photo...

Name:  2020_Nissan_Versa__16.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  46.5 KB

Confirmed that production of the next gen 2020 Versa sedan will remain in the same Mexican factory (Aguascalientes) that produces the current sedan plus the Micra (which is exported to Canada and elsewhere).

Interesting tidbit from this article: the Versa sedan is Mexico's best-selling car.

https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/autop...dido-de-mexico
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-13-2019)

2020 redesigned model was just unveiled a few weeks ago.

That Versa vs. Tsuru crash is amazing!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a 90 Sentra with the 4spd manual. Loved that car. That transmission was silky smooth.