Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ninja Turtle :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Ninja Turtle
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage DE
    Kiwi Green
    CVT

Bought 2014 Mirage DE CVT with 45k miles on it. Hoping I can get this car to 150k miles.

Details

14" Bridgestone 165's

Comments: 20 / Views: 8843
    Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    So your saying its reasonable that one should expect to only have warranty work done at the place they bought it? I dont think you really believe that Eggman. Do you work for Mitsubishi like Nickels? lol And no, new cars arent in the cards for my fiance and I, its simply not in our budget. What we were told, at the dealership by a salesman, is that the G4 being a loaner car is entitled to the 100k mile warranty. This was lie, confirmed by our new dealership service center. We got played, cut and dry. Seriously, what is your profession? You hold your cards close to your chest on here lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Dirk - I don't blame you for being upset about your G4 purchase overall. Your fiancee probably already spent a little extra $$$ to get a slightly used G4 in the first place.

The dealership not sharing the engine had been replaced would have been alarming to me.

The dealership going out of business after the purchase would have been disappointing to me.

Feeling stuck with a relatively new car (it's a new car to you) that has been a hassle to get warranty work done would frustrate me.

Then realizing some shoddy work has been on the car doesn't help matters either.

I feel your pain. Not sure that helps, but I understand where you are coming from.

The number one reason I bought a Mirage was price. I could buy a brand new car for $9,000. Once I did some research, I felt assured that the Mirage was very economical to drive & somewhat reliable (especially with a manual). It checked off the right boxes for me (affordable, reliable, & economical).

My best vehicle purchases have been vehicles that never went back to a dealership for anything. My 1990 Ford Festiva comes to mind. I sold that car in 2004, & I don't remember it ever visiting a Ford dealership for anything in 14 years. For a car that sold for $5,300 brand new in 1990, that's pretty good in my book. I am drawn to vehicles like that.

I can't say the same about my present vehicles. I test drove a used Forester in LaCrosse, bought a better deal from Milwaukee. All dealership service for my 2011 Forester has been done in Madison. In this case, Madison has been wonderful about service. My engine was replaced @ 90,000 miles. No questions asked, even though I do my own oil changes & minor service things myself. In this case, however, a class action lawsuit required the work being done. A free loaner vehicle was also provided. Even though my experience has been somewhat positive, I am probably done with Subaru.

Even though my 2017 Mirage has already had one minor recall item, I still feel somewhat optimistic about my purchase 2.5 years later. Nothing has appeared on the market since that time that seems more appealing to me. If anything, vehicles have become less appealing to me. That keeps me happy with what I have, & that is not a bad thing I guess.

If you could have redone your G4 purchase, what would you have encouraged your fiancee to buy instead? Would you have two different cars in your driveway today?
    Last edited by Mark; 04-05-2020 at 05:54 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-05-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    So your saying its reasonable that one should expect to only have warranty work done at the place they bought it? I dont think you really believe that Eggman.
    No I don't believe that, and it's a good point to emphasize because apparently it can be misinterpreted. I'm not saying that an owner can only have their vehicle serviced where they bought it, and if you look over my posts, you'll find I have said as much. I gave examples of forum members who have gotten service and warranty work done at dealers other than where the car was originally sold.

What I am saying is that I wouldn't expect one party to cover for the mistakes of another, and in turn would apply that to businesses. If they do right other's wrongs, that's commendable but not a norm. Now this is at the dealer level. Mitsubishi corporate may have approved replacing the engine but not the mistakes of the service department doing the work. Can't blame MMNA for that. And now that dealer is out of business. While I'm sorry that it has happened to you, you also found a way to overcome the bs.

Do you work for Mitsubishi like Nickels? lol
    No. Not like nickels, or 3dplane or any other Mitsubishi employee. Sounds like fun, and techs have been a resource for us. I'm not going to apply though.

And no, new cars arent in the cards for my fiance and I, its simply not in our budget.
    Rear axles aren't covered by the powertrain warranty. If you like, it can still be replaced (the assembly isn't too terribly expensive) or just drive it like you've been doing. You're still saving cash versus buying new or some other more expensive alternative. You are way ahead of the game and if I may add doing better than me since I bought new, so congratulations.

So far, the Mirage in both hatchback and sedan serves you just fine and is one of the better transportation choices going for the majority. Looks like they fit your budget just like you had originally planned. What's the need to get upset?

What we were told, at the dealership by a salesman, is that the G4 being a loaner car is entitled to the 100k mile warranty. This was lie, confirmed by our new dealership service center. We got played, cut and dry.
    Salesmen who lie to get a sale is sadly nothing new. If you are surprised by this, I don't know what to tell you except I'm sorry it has happened to you.

Anyone who takes the time to read the terms of any warranty will have a clear understanding of what's covered and what's not covered without casting blame on others. It's easy to read examples of warranty coverage online and expect it'll work for every situation, then get bummed out and angry that it doesn't always work that way.

Seriously, what is your profession? You hold your cards close to your chest on here lol.
    Not sure how that's relevant here. Its interesting to find folks who write about protecting their privacy then go about revealing a bunch of personal details about their life. I find the contradiction amusing.

This reminds me of pushing back against reviews critical of the Mirage. Yes, it is important to watch out for bad information, and there's lots of it out there. It is difficult sometimes to see things from an objective point of view. What I'm going for here is to suggest that despite some setbacks to your Mitsubishi ownership experience, things are still on the right track - both cars are running along just fine. You are taking care of them the best you can and they are taking care of you. And that's important to keep in mind sometimes, rather than get mired in a Everything Everywhere Stinks mindset. Sometimes, things are better than they seem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-05-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Honestly I would of pushed her to get a Civic around 70k miles or so. As of now the reclamping they did at the dealership has managed to stop most of the hemorrhaging of the coolant, but I still have to top it off once a month or so. I never thought Id have to do that with an almost brand new car : ( live and learn I suppose. The good part is the fiance is fine with the car, and this is coming from her previous car being a V6 Mustang lol. As long as the clamp holds on the heater core were fine, but its soured my thoughts on Mitsubishi dealers for sure.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    No I don't believe that, and it's a good point to emphasize because apparently it can be misinterpreted. I'm not saying that an owner can only have their vehicle serviced where they bought it, and if you look over my posts, you'll find I have said as much. I gave examples of forum members who have gotten service and warranty work done at dealers other than where the car was originally sold.

What I am saying is that I wouldn't expect one party to cover for the mistakes of another, and in turn would apply that to businesses. If they do right other's wrongs, that's commendable but not a norm. Now this is at the dealer level. Mitsubishi corporate may have approved replacing the engine but not the mistakes of the service department doing the work. Can't blame MMNA for that. And now that dealer is out of business. While I'm sorry that it has happened to you, you also found a way to overcome the bs.

No. Not like nickels, or 3dplane or any other Mitsubishi employee. Sounds like fun, and techs have been a resource for us. I'm not going to apply though.

Rear axles aren't covered by the powertrain warranty. If you like, it can still be replaced (the assembly isn't too terribly expensive) or just drive it like you've been doing. You're still saving cash versus buying new or some other more expensive alternative. You are way ahead of the game and if I may add doing better than me since I bought new, so congratulations.

So far, the Mirage in both hatchback and sedan serves you just fine and is one of the better transportation choices going for the majority. Looks like they fit your budget just like you had originally planned. What's the need to get upset?

Salesmen who lie to get a sale is sadly nothing new. If you are surprised by this, I don't know what to tell you except I'm sorry it has happened to you.

Anyone who takes the time to read the terms of any warranty will have a clear understanding of what's covered and what's not covered without casting blame on others. It's easy to read examples of warranty coverage online and expect it'll work for every situation, then get bummed out and angry that it doesn't always work that way.

Not sure how that's relevant here. Its interesting to find folks who write about protecting their privacy then go about revealing a bunch of personal details about their life. I find the contradiction amusing.

This reminds me of pushing back against reviews critical of the Mirage. Yes, it is important to watch out for bad information, and there's lots of it out there. It is difficult sometimes to see things from an objective point of view. What I'm going for here is to suggest that despite some setbacks to your Mitsubishi ownership experience, things are still on the right track - both cars are running along just fine. You are taking care of them the best you can and they are taking care of you. And that's important to keep in mind sometimes, rather than get mired in a Everything Everywhere Stinks mindset. Sometimes, things are better than they seem.
    I tell you what we'll play the guessing game hot or cold and Ill try and guess your profession lol. C'mon and play, theres not much else to do. Okay here goes.....Im guessing your involved in IT work?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Honestly I would of pushed her to get a Civic around 70k miles or so. As of now the reclamping they did at the dealership has managed to stop most of the hemorrhaging of the coolant, but I still have to top it off once a month or so. I never thought Id have to do that with an almost brand new car : ( live and learn I suppose. The good part is the fiance is fine with the car, and this is coming from her previous car being a V6 Mustang lol. As long as the clamp holds on the heater core were fine, but its soured my thoughts on Mitsubishi dealers for sure.
    5 years ago when my youngest daughter graduated from college, she needed a good car for about $5000. She doesn't ask my advice on much, but she did on this. I steered her in the direction of a lower mileage 2000+ Civics or Corollas. She bought a 2003 Civic with 70,000 miles on it. It had excellent service records from the dealership that she bought it from. It's been a very good used car for her. Her purchasing dealership has been selling Honda vehicles since 1973.

Those early 2000s Honda & Toyota were great values! Even Honda & Toyota has veered from that somewhat.

My favorite vehicle of all time was my former 2000 Honda CR-V LX AWD 5-speed manual with 20,000 miles. I bought it from a couple in Green Bay in 2004, & I paid $12,000 for it. The wife was a nurse, & she had a convertible & motorcycle. My former CR-V had been her winter vehicle. She had just bought a new Ford Escape to replace it. Thus, the low mileage after 4-years. If that vehicle hadn't been rear ended, I think its rusty remains would still be in my garage. It did what I wanted an AWD vehicle to do without being flashy or expensive. It had 154,000 miles on its original brakes at the time of accident, & I had mechanics give me their opinion on the brakes at times. My brakes were still working better than the guy who rear ended me. I miss that vehicle, & it was sort of quirky like the Mirage. Except the Mirage didn't have a fold out table you could pop out from the back to use at a camp site or wherever.

Mechanical things break down at times. That comes with owning stuff. I feel your pain Dirk. Ironically, I see you as our Mirage cheerleader on youtube comment sections!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    5 years ago when my youngest daughter graduated from college, she needed a good car for about $5000. She doesn't ask my advice on much, but she did on this. I steered her in the direction of a lower mileage 2000+ Civics or Corollas. She bought a 2003 Civic with 70,000 miles on it. It had excellent service records from the dealership that she bought it from. It's been a very good used car for her. Her purchasing dealership has been selling Honda vehicles since 1973.

Those early 2000s Honda & Toyota were great values! Even Honda & Toyota has veered from that somewhat.

My favorite vehicle of all time was my former 2000 Honda CR-V LX AWD 5-speed manual with 20,000 miles. I bought it from a couple in Green Bay in 2004, & I paid $12,000 for it. The wife was a nurse, & she had a convertible & motorcycle. My former CR-V had been her winter vehicle. She had just bought a new Ford Escape to replace it. Thus, the low mileage after 4-years. If that vehicle hadn't been rear ended, I think its rusty remains would still be in my garage. It did what I wanted an AWD vehicle to do without being flashy or expensive. It had 154,000 miles on its original brakes at the time of accident, & I had mechanics give me their opinion on the brakes at times. My brakes were still working better than the guy who rear ended me. I miss that vehicle, & it was sort of quirky like the Mirage. Except the Mirage didn't have a fold out table you could pop out from the back to use at a camp site or wherever.

Mechanical things break down at times. That comes with owning stuff. I feel your pain Dirk. Ironically, I see you as our Mirage cheerleader on youtube comment sections!
    Theyre good cars, just surrounded by a bad support network unfortunately. One thing you'll rarely see me talk about is the warranty when Im posting about the Mirage lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I tell you what we'll play the guessing game hot or cold and Ill try and guess your profession lol. C'mon and play, theres not much else to do. Okay here goes.....Im guessing your involved in IT work?
    No, I'm not that smart. But thanks! I'll take that as a compliment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    No, I'm not that smart. But thanks! I'll take that as a compliment.
    Your supposed to reply "cold"

Ok, are you involved in healthcare?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    As of now the reclamping they did at the dealership has managed to stop most of the hemorrhaging of the coolant, but I still have to top it off once a month or so.
    Dirk, a reputable rad shop should be able to resize the pipes for you, or look into a set of these ...https://www.toolsource.com/battery-s...-p-108615.html You should be able to resize the fitting & be done with it....

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)