Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Mirage CVT with 45k miles a reliable vehicle?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

2014 Mirage CVT with 45k miles a reliable vehicle?

Hello all. I just purchased a 2014 Mirage DE CVT with 45k miles on it. Ive just had it serviced at a Mitsu dealership including cvt fluid change, oil change, rotations etc. Can I reasonably expect to get 100k miles out this CVT? Mine runs smooth but I lose sleep at night thinking of mine crapping out after warranty. Im the subsequent owner so my warranty runs out in 5 months. Please help me put my mind at ease. Or tell me the cold hard truth.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    You'll be fine for quite a while yet. I think the 2-3 failures we've had had around 180k miles on them.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-09-2019)

I'd be more worried about the flywheel and starter that a few have had problems with. Seems like a 2014 cvt problem only.

I've had most failures with high mileage, only had one with around 80k kms/50k miles start making noise and was replaced under warranty. Keep up on your cvt fluid changes and replace the cartridge filter on the side of the cvt once in a while and you should be fine for many miles. Besides if it does fail you can just get a used one. There are lots around with low mileage but it might be 14' only for the cvt. I know for sure a 17' will fit a 15 though...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-09-2019),MetroMPG (03-06-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thank you my Canadian brother! Ive read your past posts, very insightful and a crack wit too I might add. Its a relief to hear a response from someone with as much experience as yourself. With your fleet and all. Cheers!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thank your for the wordes of encouragement!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Wait, a flywheel replacement? I thought that only involved manual transmissions? Forgive my ignorance Im truly trying to absorb as much info as I can. My girlfriend got the 2017 G4 sedan a month before I got mine so Im responsible for two Mitsus. Lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Wait, a flywheel replacement? I thought that only involved manual transmissions? Forgive my ignorance Im truly trying to absorb as much info as I can. My girlfriend got the 2017 G4 sedan a month before I got mine so Im responsible for two Mitsus. Lol
    Does either Mirage make a grinding noise on startup?
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-07-2019 at 08:33 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    The technical term for it on a CVT car is the 'ring gear', which is what I am sure Fummins meant. This seems to be a problem that Mitsubishi caught on to fairly quickly, and it is mostly seen in very early '14 CVT cars. It is prevalent in '14 cars with 2013 build dates. What is the build date on yours? Check the sticker inside the driver's door jamb.

If yours doesn't grind on engagement, then it is possible the problem was already taken care of by Mitsubishi under warranty. By the way, if you have 45k on the car you might try to find your car's original in-service date. You may have some of the factory 5/60 warranty left if you encounter any problems. That warranty is transferable to other owners.

Other than this problem and the notorious 'misaligned rear axle problem' (search here), these cars are very, very reliable.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-07-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    No they do not. Theyre both operating great. Im just trying to getva piece of mind about reliabilitybog the CVT.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thank for the insightful reply! Everybody on here is so hgelpful. I used to be a member of a Subaru forum and all it was was constant condescension and bad attitudes. Thank you kind sir!