Thread: Oil pan R&R

Keeper of the Wrenches
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Oil pan R&R

Anything special need to be done, or do I have access to everything under there?

Haven't physically looked, as the car isn't here. Shop said they can't/won't do an oil change as the pan is dented. Concerns about volume and cross-threading the drain plug.

I've got a dollar that says it has a minor dent that has zero impact on anything.

2014 ES with 5 speed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Here is a recent thread about an oil pan that got hammered in after hitting something on the freeway.

Not sure what the final resolution was in that case, but there are some pics of the oil pan in the car that might give you some idea of what is involved with an R&R. I suspect it will only involve removing about a dozen or so 10mm bolts.

Please keep us posted.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ct-on-the-fway

Hard to say, if it were a dealer I'd bet money they're just over exaggerating and this is a non issue. But why don't you just look yourself and post a pic? Here's one on epay https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Genuine-Mits...ally+Aspirated

I've got one going on the lift soon, I'll take a look and see what's involved. No pics today, my camera died on my phone.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

It's not a bad job at all. I looked at a cvt car, a standard should be fairly similar. I can't see a shop charging more than an hour labor to do the job. Or do it yourself, it's easy and hard to screw it up unless you use the wrong size sockets on everything.

You'll need 10mm socket and 1/4" drive ratchet for most of the bolts. And 12mm for the rest, might want 3/8" drive for them ones. a few extensions will probably be handy to have.
    -Unhook one of the battery cables and move it so it won't flex back and touch the battery terminal again.
    -Pull the 3 10mm (head) for the tin starter shield/skid plate.
    -Unhook and remove the starter (12mm bolts) Can't remember the power wire size. 12 or 14mm doubt it's 13? And I can't remember if the little trigger wire for the solenoid has a nut or if it's a plug. If a nut it'll likely be 8mm /5/16
    -on the cvt car's there is a little aluminum brace where the transmission meets the engine at the rear. 3 12 mm bolts to get that off. I dunno if the standards have that?
    -Another part I'm not sure is the Inspection/dust cover. If the standards are like the cvt's there's a few 10mm bolts to remove that.
    -So once the starter, inspection cover and little brace thing(if you even have those last two) are off all that's left is a bunch of 10mm bolts holding the pan and it should come right out.

My long winded instructions probably make it seem harder than it is.
    Should be able to get it out using hand tools pretty quick.
    Nice thing about a simple car, there's no having to lift the engine up or drop the subframe cause it's in the way....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (03-08-2019)