Thread: CVT Mirage owners thoughts and discussions? Almost all Manual owners in garage?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

CVT Mirage owners thoughts and discussions? Almost all Manual owners in garage?

Hi. Was just hoping to establish a thread for Mirage 2014 - 2015 CVT DE owners. I find I have to truly scan to find posts and look at garage pics for this model and years. How many miles have you put on your cvt? Recommendations for getting 150k miles out of a CVT? Ive read an abysmal amount of disdain on other research websites about the Nissan Jatco cvt but hardly anything on how Jatco cvt responds to a lower weight, lower torque, lower hp Mirage? Your insights, experiences, and humor is appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

ismail_srp (03-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Lol, just relax, man. You didn't buy a time bomb.

The CVT has proven to be plenty reliable in the Mirage. Other cars using the Jatco CVT7 are much heavier, and have much more horsepower. One theory about why this transmission holds up so well in the Mirage is that the car only weighs 2,000 pounds and only has 74-78 horsepower. This is at the low end of what the CVT7 was designed to handle. The CVT7 in the Mirage also has a two-speed conventional gearbox which also helps handle this meager load.

My buddy has a '17 Mirage ES hatch which he uses as a door-to-door delivery car. It has nearly 100,000 miles on it now, and the CVT hasn't so much as hiccuped. He maintains the car, but I wouldn't say he babies it.

Keep the fluid clean and it should cruise to 100k without any drama.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree with CobraJet. I think you will be fine. My wife has a 14 Nissan Versa note with a CVT and its at 74,000 with no issues. Just keep clean fluid in it. If it makes you feel better I have had two normal transmissions die under 50,000 miles each.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thank you for reply. This is why I joined this forum, to get sage info from folks with experience like yourself. Cheers!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thank you for response! I get so absorbed on online *****ing about the Nissan cvt I forget I see thousands of them on the road each day. Im seeing the trees but not the forest.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    CVT problems on Mirages which are driven under what most people would call 'normal conditions' are very rare. Even cars that are used for delivery service by people who don't really care about them usually manage to clear 100k miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No worries man. I honestly believe the best thing you can do for any car is do the recommended maintenance.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    My goal is 150k considering I got it with 45k on it already. Youve big a big help man. Im going to get like an extra hour of sleep tonight because your correspondence.