Thread: High Idle Switch?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

High Idle Switch?

Has anyone put a high idle switch on their car? I hate letting the car idle to warm up or cool down when its hot. Wondered if anyone has thought about this? I take it the butterfly valve in the throttle body is ran by an electric motor? I haven't looked. If it is i would imagine you could have someone hold the gas wherever you would want to set it such as 1200rpm. Stop let's say thats 3volts. All you would have to do it tap into that pin and create another power source set for 3 volts that can be activated with a switch. Sound feasible?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    I wouldn't approach it in that manner. Being a drive by wire system, the ECU should be the only source of energy operating that device. If you add another source of electricity, I would expect it to cause problems with the ECU, and even damage it. Also, I understand the ECU uses a feedback circuit to monitor the position of the throttle to adjust the signal used to open it as well as to help manage fuel delivery. An erroneous signal would mess up those other functions as well.

Edit: It's probably a stepper motor, so simply applying a voltage might not get the results you want.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-07-2019 at 09:23 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Probably feasible. Not something I would ever bother doing though.

On a diesel it makes sense cause they(can) take forever to warm up, my truck will not warm up unless the rad is blocked and the idle is bumped up which happens automatically. The high idle speed is then based on intake air and coolant temps. On my 02' it would bump the idle and cut fuel to 2 cylinders putting more of a load on the engine and making it sound like an old tractor. The neighbors really hated that one.

If they thought it made sense in gas engines I think it'd at least be an option(other than in applications running a pto).
    We use block heaters when it's cold. When it's hot out open the windows and crank the ac for a minute. The compressor doesn't run constantly when the ac is on anyways, the only thing reving it up would accomplish is burn more gas.

Last edited by Fummins; 03-07-2019 at 09:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)