Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Mitsubishi
    Mirage ES
    Black
    CVT

•  
    Comments: 13 / Views: 11819
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Can you show me how the passenger side wheel is the drive wheel??? This doesn't sound right.

Roger
    50/50 chance I am wrong, or right. Well, here is my proof: if I spin my tires on take off, it's the right side of my Mirage that gets super dirty with dirt spit up from the spinning tire.

The Mirage is FWD not AWD, and FWD cars have a dominant drive wheel, usually passenger side.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    50/50 chance I am wrong, or right. Well, here is my proof: if I spin my tires on take off, it's the right side of my Mirage that gets super dirty with dirt spit up from the spinning tire.

The Mirage is FWD not AWD, and FWD cars have a dominant drive wheel, usually passenger side.
    The Differential applies the torque to both wheels evenly, always, (even if it's a locker, ours is not). the wheel with the least amount of traction will spin. If it takes 50 ft/lb to make one wheel spin, the other will also have 50 ft/lb applied to it. It will not spin because it has more traction & requires more than 50 ft/lb to break loose. This is why people thought rear wheel drive cars had 1 drive wheel on the right side. as the engine rocked to the left under acceleration, it would unload some of the weight from the right side of the car, (watch a loaded transport accelerate from a stoplight. The whole truck rolls to the left on the suspension, thus taking some weight from the right tires) thus the right tire required less torque to spin. There is no 1 side drive wheel, only the tire with the least amount of traction spinning. It's the way a differential works.

The left side of our cars are on the inside of the road which is generally cleaner than the outside, (ask any motorcycle rider) thus suppling more traction, Also the left side of the car has ~200 lb driver in it, thus suppling more traction.

I hope this helps clear this up...

Roger

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    As roads are crowned for drainage, debris tends to settle at that side of the road.

This is interesting. Where did you learn of this? Surely you have a reference to this online that I can read and learn more about this dominant drive wheel arrangement.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinboy View Post
    no one?
    I have the whistle. I hear it when accelerating, stops at cruising speed. I’m going to try and troubleshoot it when I get a chance. I’ll post when I figure it out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)