Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going on first 600 mile roundtrip road trip in 2014 Mirage/first trip with no cruise

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Just my luck, the DE doesnt come with bluetooth either. Music sounds fine its just talking podcast its a struggle. I guess an ear plug is in the future. But crap, only aux port on my phone. Lol. Meh. Good thing I got a couple of J's rolled for the trip. Looks like Im gonna need it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I rarely drive the Interstate too. I avoid them as much as possible. The pic looks like US20 between Bend and Burns or US395 between Lakeview and Riley. Having lived in Burns for 7 years I must have made the 260 mile round trip to Bend at least a couple hundred times. A few times in the dead of winter coming home in the middle of the night it was not uncommon to never see another vehicle for the whole 130 miles.
    Good eye. I never expected to meet someone from Burns outside of Burns. It is near Burns, but east of it on Route 78, close to where it meets US 95. If I were to count the cars I see on my fingers, I wouldn't run out of fingers for the entirety of its 90-mile length most times I've been on it.

I usually drive with the radio off, no matter how long the trip is. There's a lot of dead space on this side of the country with no stations, or maybe just preaching. I don't mind the silence, or as close to silence as you can get in an economy car on the highway.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Just my luck, the DE doesnt come with bluetooth either. Music sounds fine its just talking podcast its a struggle. I guess an ear plug is in the future. But crap, only aux port on my phone. Lol. Meh. Good thing I got a couple of J's rolled for the trip. Looks like Im gonna need it.
    There is a USB outlet in the Mirage's glove box, top left corner.

Yours prolly too, or if it's brand new MIrage G4 they are in the centre dash or armrest somewhere, more normal than the glove box lol.

Plug in your classic iPod, phone, or do what I do and load up a cheap 16 gig USB Stick and rock on.

I have all my music copied into my car digitally. CDs and LPs* left at home. Good times

*LP collection to be digitalized
    Last edited by dspace9; 03-11-2019 at 12:01 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-11-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Meh. Good thing I got a couple of J's rolled for the trip. Looks like Im gonna need it.
    Let me know what roads you are driving on as you enjoy your "J's" , I'll stay off the road you'r driving on as I really don't think you need to be taking my life in your hands

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Oh, you bought a CVT without cruise control, eh? You know the CVT only maximizes economy when cruise is on, right? Uh oh haha.
    Interesting. I remember there was discussion about the OEM cruise control and fuel economy, but I didn't know anyone proved the theory. How do you know about this, nickels? If there is a post I missed somewhere, please let me know.

Also, I'll reiterate this point: speed limits are *not* mandatory minimums. They are maximum limits. You are not required to drive as fast as the posted speed limit - you can drive slower than the posted speed limit.

Drive as you are comfortable and feel safe doing so.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-11-2019 at 08:14 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Interesting. I remember there was discussion about the OEM cruise control and fuel economy, but I didn't know anyone proved the theory. How do you know about this, nickels? If there is a post I missed somewhere, please let me know.

Also, I'll reiterate this point: speed limits are *not* mandatory minimums. They are maximum limits. You are not required to drive as fast as the posted speed limit - you can drive slower than the posted speed limit.

Drive as you are comfortable and feel safe doing so.
    A few members here noticed that the CVT on the highway would only drop to 2600 or so on the highway. With cruise engaged it would drop to about 2000, 2100 rpm.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    A few members here noticed that the CVT on the highway would only drop to 2600 or so on the highway. With cruise engaged it would drop to about 2000, 2100 rpm.
    Huge difference between the way the CVT operates with cruise control on. In order for the CVT to go into the maximum overdrive ratio the conditions have to be perfect (either down hill or flat terrain with minimal throttle) without cruise. With cruise control engaged the CVT seeks and holds the lowest ratio immediately and holds it as long as possible.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-11-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Update: Well completed the first half of my 600 mile round trip. Ill be goddamned if my leg and butt didnt start cramping up after 2 hours without the cruise control lol. The seats on the 2014 werent really made for long distance in my opinion. Then again I am 6ft tall and could lose 30lbs. But I digress. On a positive note, the car flew when I needed it to on passing big trucks. Staying at 75mph felt smooth but once I hit 80mph the car felt like it was going to lift off the ground. Wind noise wasnt nearly as bad as the "experts" make it out to be and the tire noise was barely noticeable. I wonder if that had to do with the car being equipped with Bridgestone Potenzas? Thats what it came with when I bought the vehicle 2 weeks ago, I think I got lucky there. Last thing, if the car is averaging 43 mpg on the hwy how much distance is left on the last fuel gauge bar? The distance left didnt seem accurate at all? Ah well, Ill keep us posted for those that care. Cheers!

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Last thing, if the car is averaging 43 mpg on the hwy how much distance is left on the last fuel gauge bar? The distance left didnt seem accurate at all?
    One block on the gauge corresponds to about 1 (US) gallon. So with one block left, there should be about 43 miles left. But of course the separation isn't big. It's +/- 0.5 block.

Somehow the gauge seems to assume an 8 gallon tank, while in reality it's 9.2 gallon. So if the gauge drops to empty, there is still more than one gallon left. However, it seems to hurt the fuel pump when you drive the tank empty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    1. To keep your fuel system clean be sure to either buy quality Top Tier fuel or use regular Techron fuel system treatments.

2. Buy a tire tread gauge to measure and monitor your tire wear. The Mirage has problems with rear axle alignment.

3. I find the Mirage seats to be comfortable on long drives, but I have cruise control to help out if needed. Still, I find the seats are good for me. Do you have problems with cramping in other cars on long drives?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)