Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Going on first 600 mile roundtrip road trip in 2014 Mirage/first trip with no cruise

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Going on first 600 mile roundtrip road trip in 2014 Mirage/first trip with no cruise

Got my Mirage 2014 de cvt a week ago. Got it freshly inspected and serviced. Excited to see how it performs on a 5 hour trip to Charleston SC too see the parents (and show off my 3 cylinder). My Dad still doesnt think a 3 cyl exists so itll be fun to let him drive the golf cart. Any recommendations on how to deal with leg fatigue considering no cruise control? Besides pulling over every hour or so lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Got my Mirage 2014 de cvt a week ago. Got it freshly inspected and serviced. Excited to see how it performs on a 5 hour trip to Charleston SC too see the parents (and show off my 3 cylinder). My Dad still doesnt think a 3 cyl exists so itll be fun to let him drive the golf cart. Any recommendations on how to deal with leg fatigue considering no cruise control? Besides pulling over every hour or so lol.
    Your dad doesn't know cars I take it lol. You'll be fine I've driven vehicles with no cruise across the country.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drove my '96 Metro to Oregon and back four times, which was 1,300 to 1,600 miles each way, depending on the route. There's no universal trick to keeping your foot/leg from getting tired. You just have to figure out what works for you. I had a couple of different positions I alternated between when one became uncomfortable. It wasn't too bad on the Metro because the position of the pedal didn't have much impact on speed.

Arm fatigue was more of an issue for me than leg. I tend to move the seat a little closer to the wheel for long trips so my arms don't have to stretch out, which I've found also helps to avoid neck and back pain.

If you're not pressed for time, take the back roads. I avoid interstates at all costs. On paper, interstates are faster, but they feel so much longer because it's the exact same thing mile after mile. For me, navigating little towns on secondary roads and the occasional winding mountain pass really help to alleviate fatigue. If the road doesn't require any engagement from the driver, I get sleepy.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scratchpaddy For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-10-2019),inuvik (03-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Any recommendations on how to deal with leg fatigue considering no cruise control?
    When you are finished with your trip, you can look into enabling your cruise control.

I was able to Enable OEM Cruise control of my 2014 Mirage DE 5-speed Manual.

Developing a cruise control kit - now for sale!

I lived in Charleston, SC for a while. Nice place. I was there when hurricane Hugo hit. Came back to a big mess, but my place was fine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-10-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thank you for your thoughts! I appreciate you.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Wow, complicated schematics. Im completely useless in electrical systems.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've never had a problem with leg fatigue when driving long distances in the Mirage. And I'm a recovered stroke survivor (right side) who purchased my first Mirage before I had the stroke. Cruise control or not, varying the seat position/height during the trip will help keep things comfortable. Next month I'll be going to the East Coast from Chicago and back for a 2,000+ mile trip. Although the cruise control on the Mirage is better than any other car I previously owned, I rarely use it!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "It wasn't too bad on the Metro because the position of the pedal didn't have much impact on speed."

LMAO

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratchpaddy View Post
    I drove my '96 Metro to Oregon and back four times, which was 1,300 to 1,600 miles each way, depending on the route. There's no universal trick to keeping your foot/leg from getting tired. You just have to figure out what works for you. I had a couple of different positions I alternated between when one became uncomfortable. It wasn't too bad on the Metro because the position of the pedal didn't have much impact on speed.

Arm fatigue was more of an issue for me than leg. I tend to move the seat a little closer to the wheel for long trips so my arms don't have to stretch out, which I've found also helps to avoid neck and back pain.

If you're not pressed for time, take the back roads. I avoid interstates at all costs. On paper, interstates are faster, but they feel so much longer because it's the exact same thing mile after mile. For me, navigating little towns on secondary roads and the occasional winding mountain pass really help to alleviate fatigue. If the road doesn't require any engagement from the driver, I get sleepy.

I rarely drive the Interstate too. I avoid them as much as possible. The pic looks like US20 between Bend and Burns or US395 between Lakeview and Riley. Having lived in Burns for 7 years I must have made the 260 mile round trip to Bend at least a couple hundred times. A few times in the dead of winter coming home in the middle of the night it was not uncommon to never see another vehicle for the whole 130 miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I drove mine 5500km across the country. No cruise.

If you get leg fatigue in an hour of driving, might want to take the stairs instead of the elevator in the future.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)