Thread: Cruise Control gives up

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question Cruise Control gives up

Has anyone else experienced the cruise control "giving up" on their Mirage? I have a 2014 CVT model, and sometimes when I'm climbing hills, the cruise control struggles to maintain the speed and after a short period of time (maybe a minute or two of not reaching the speed I set it at), it gives up. I then have to press on the gas pedal myself.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Check this thread:

Cruise control disconnected itself...Is it normal?

EDIT - This is mentioned in the Owner's Manual in the Cruise Control section...

Name:  cruise_control.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  56.5 KB
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 03-11-2019 at 03:32 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep, normal operation.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Very normal. Especially on a low power vehicle. You cant expect the 1.2 to hold freeway speed up any sort of grade.

I've never taken a mirage up any kind of grade and none of our cars have cruise... But I've had that happen in a motorhome and in old under powered trucks pulling trailers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Others beat me to it, but this is normal. Most cruise control systems operate this way. Cruise control isn't really meant to pull big hills because, well...you aren't actually 'cruising' in that situation.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Agreed, though it is rather disconcerting when you're lumbering up a hill and suddenly the cruise kicks off. Only happened once or twice to me, but if it happens you're probably in the wrong gear anyway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    Agreed, though it is rather disconcerting when you're lumbering up a hill and suddenly the cruise kicks off. Only happened once or twice to me, but if it happens you're probably in the wrong gear anyway.
    It's the grade is big enough it wont matter what gear you're in. The car simply will not pull a steep grade at say 65mph.

The cruise just holds the car at a set speed, but if the hill begins to get too steep, the cruise just can't hold that speed, the engine doesnt have the ability.

I've driven six cars cross country right over the Rockies on I70 through the Eisenhower tunnel and only my Mustang GT and Cadillac Fleetwood could maintain 70+ through anywhere in the mountains.
    I also drove a ford contour 4cyl, Hyundai Elantra, Ford ranger v6 and toyota pickup 4cly. Both trucks 4wd. None of those could pull freeway speeds through all the passes.

And the little toyota was loaded with a motorcycle and other stuff and had to go as low as 30mph on the steepest sections.