Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LED turn signal bulbs (front and rear)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

LED turn signal bulbs (front and rear)

I would like to install LED turn signal bulbs in the front and rear of my 2017 Mirage. I want to avoid "Hyperflash" of the bulbs due to the low voltage draw. The front bulb type is 1156NA and the rear is PY21W. Has anyone in this forum swapped out their bulbs for LED's successfully and avoided hyperflash? If yes, what bulbs did you use? How did you like the results?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    (blank signature)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

MirageSEFan (03-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Be careful which bulbs you choose. Some members have reported problems with some bulbs. I think they can cause OBD-II codes.

What problem are you trying to solve with this?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageSEFan (03-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Be careful which bulbs you choose. Some members have reported problems with some bulbs. I think they can cause OBD-II codes.

What problem are you trying to solve with this?
    I've had mine for 2 months without a problem. No hyper and no other issues. I wanted brighter output, not that there was a problem to fix. These work just perfectly.
    (blank signature)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

MirageSEFan (03-12-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you for your response. Very nice and bright bulbs on your car. Did the 1156 work in place of the PY21W bulbs that are located in the rear? Did you also replace the front turn signals? I understand there might be a hyperflash issue if all four bulbs are replaced with LED.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Forgive me for asking, but why would anyone one want or need super-bright LED turn signals??

I understand upgrading headlights.

I understand upgrading dome lights.

I do not understand upgrading turn signals.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Forgive me for asking, but why would anyone one want or need super-bright LED turn signals??

I understand upgrading headlights.

I understand upgrading dome lights.

I do not understand upgrading turn signals.
    I have two reasons to upgrade. My car already has factory LED tail and brake lights. It also has factory LED driving lights. I have already upgraded my dome, license plate, and reverse lights to LED's. I just want to match what I already have.

Another reason is for safety. As with riding a motorcycle, the more visible you make yourself increases the chance that you will be seen by others in all weather conditions. That applies to driving, braking and turning.

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageSEFan View Post
    I have two reasons to upgrade. My car already has factory LED tail and brake lights. It also has factory LED driving lights. I have already upgraded my dome, license plate, and reverse lights to LED's. I just want to match what I already have.

Another reason is for safety. As with riding a motorcycle, the more visible you make yourself increases the chance that you will be seen by others in all weather conditions. That applies to driving, braking and turning.
    Also, LEDs generally draw less power (less alternator strain is more MPG, but this is a tiny savings), emit light "instantly" (vs. incandescents that warm up to max brightness, some claim this increases reaction times), and also last much longer while tolerating a wider band of climates.

Also more, in some cars and places, the heat of the incandescent bulb will warp or discolor the plastic housing over time. I've actually had this on Ranger, though it's minor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phaux View Post
    Also, LEDs generally draw less power (less alternator strain is more MPG, but this is a tiny savings), emit light "instantly" (vs. incandescents that warm up to max brightness, some claim this increases reaction times), and also last much longer while tolerating a wider band of climates.

Also more, in some cars and places, the heat of the incandescent bulb will warp or discolor the plastic housing over time. I've actually had this on Ranger, though it's minor.
    I like that the LED's stay cooler and use less current as well. They also have a more crisp and modern looking light output.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    LEDs are brighter and consume less power but those error-free LED's are equipped with load resistors that consume the same power as the halogen bulbs.

Has anybody actually seen where the flasher relay of the Mirage is and how does it look like?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

mohammad (07-23-2023)