Thread: Changed the CVT Auxilliary Filter

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Changed the CVT Auxilliary Filter

https://imgur.com/gallery/CfbEVqK

2018 Mirage SE, 15k Miles

Photo makes the old fluid look much darker than it actually was. Next service will be at 30k miles when I change the Aux filter again and drain+fill. Going to be sticking with Amsoil CVT fluid.

New filter came from cobra transmissions (just search for the JF015E on their website). The new filter seems to have many more pleats and a slightly thicker material. No info on what the filtering capability of either is though. I didn't end up needing to replace the o-ring. Whole procedure was pretty easy.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sleepyeyes For This Useful Post:

craigq (03-11-2019),Daox (03-11-2019),R01k (05-19-2019),tomrad (03-12-2019),Top_Fuel (03-11-2019),Tyrelirwin (03-12-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyeyes View Post

Photo makes the old fluid look much darker than it actually was. Next service will be at 30k miles when I change the Aux filter again and drain+fill. Going to be sticking with Amsoil CVT fluid.

New filter came from cobra transmissions (just search for the JF015E on their website). The new filter seems to have many more pleats and a slightly thicker material. No info on what the filtering capability of either is though. I didn't end up needing to replace the o-ring. Whole procedure was pretty easy.
    Tools used? Any tips for access?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Jack + stands, 10mm socket wrench, flat head screwdriver, lug nut wrench, and a torque wrench. I just removed the driver side wheel for access. I did pop out some of the plastic plugs that hold the inner fender on but I didn't remove all of them, just enough to be able to wiggle the inner fender.

Filter housing was just the 10mm (has almost no torque on it), a left hand twist, and pull. Putting it back in was no issue, actually not sure how people are messing up their o-ring. Then the reverse to put everything back on. Used stacked funnels to refill 2/3 cup through the dipstick tube.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sleepyeyes For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (03-22-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Wow, new filters at 15k miles? Thats really preventative maintenance! Good for you. I plan on doing this at my next CVT fluid change when I hit 75k miles. Fingers crossed it last that long.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Jack + stands, 10mm socket wrench, flat head screwdriver, lug nut wrench, and a torque wrench. I just removed the driver side wheel for access. I did pop out some of the plastic plugs that hold the inner fender on but I didn't remove all of them, just enough to be able to wiggle the inner fender.

Filter housing was just the 10mm (has almost no torque on it), a left hand twist, and pull. Putting it back in was no issue, actually not sure how people are messing up their o-ring. Then the reverse to put everything back on. Used stacked funnels to refill 2/3 cup through the dipstick tube.
    How often are people ending up with o-rings damaged upon install? I'll bet Mr. Fummins has some advice on these
    I'm nervous about swapping filters with only one o-ring on hand. Tks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    How often are people ending up with o-rings damaged upon install? I'll bet Mr. Fummins has some advice on these
    I'm nervous about swapping filters with only one o-ring on hand. Tks!
    I tore the o-ring when I did it for the same reason as Fummins. I tried to re-install the cover blindly. Definitely remove the inner fender liner when you do it because the filter housing must be aligned properly to reinstall it.

I got somewhat lucky in that I bought a thicker o-ring from Autozone that I was able to re-install without removing the inner fender liner - BARELY. I won't be doing that again I can tell you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thx1138guy For This Useful Post:

tomrad (11-08-2020)