Thread: US: First drive 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES - 3rd World motoring (ConsumerReports.org)

US: First drive 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ES - 3rd World motoring (ConsumerReports.org)

WELL! We knew Consumer Reports didn't like the Mirage based on its first mini-report (US: Just In: Small, underpowered 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage ).

Now here's the more in-depth review. I'm going to skip over the "pros & cons" list, because this one's all about the cons in CR's eyes!

Third World motoring comes to America
    ...comes across like an act of desperation
    "sputtering" ... groggy little engine
    Want to get more for your money? Check our our recommended used cars
    acceleration is meager, at best
    clumsy handling is the real eye-opener
    Wind noise is so pronounced at 45 mph, it’s as if the car was never meant to go faster
    ...the racket coming from the wheel wells, the road, and the strained little engine...
    drab, cheap, blatantly low-rent cabin that looks sad
    not a sound alternative to nearly any other subcompact
    Read the full review: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...view/index.htm

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

jamiec (11-15-2013)

Just for fun, I searched for a CR summary of the Chevy Spark.

"Not recommended."

Not surprised!

I suspect their opinion on the Spark will be basically interchangeable with the Mirage:

CR quite liked the Spark's low price, high content, and good fuel economy, but would not recommend the tiny Chevy because there are too many other offerings in the subcompact and compact classes that offer as much content and as good fuel economy for not much more money.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

socal6g (11-16-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Cry me a freakin river. It'll get you around economically and reliably. What ever happened to the thought that more choices are better?!? Not everything has to be a luxury boat or fast as lightening.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

socal6g (11-16-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I like Consumer Reports as a whole and they do often make valid points on most cars. However, I feel that sometimes when they have a grudge against a certain car, their reviews can get biased. Sure, the Mirage isn't fast, or lavishly appointed inside, but it's a car with a starting price of $12k. It is intended, as Daox mentioned, to get you from A-to-B reliably and cheaply, and the Mirage, as well as the Spark, do that just fine. They can go highway speeds on North American highways, are well-equipped by econo car standards, and can fit five (in the Mirage's case). In many reviews, I keep hearing "that for a little more, you can have a Fiesta, Accent, Rio, blah blah". This is true, but $2k more can be a deal breaker for shoppers in this market. Plus, I have found those larger cars, more highly regarding in Consumer Reports, to not be as appealing. The Fiesta is horribly cramped inside, the Rio with a manual can only be had on the base model (which is very spartan even compared to the Mirage), and the Accent/Rio both lack a spare tire; a potential safety hazard

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    CR said...

We’ll see how fast volunteers line up to go retrieve the car.
    I'll go get it. I love the car and I can disprove just about everything they said,. I own one.

Keep the faith.

-Zxit